The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Reminds me a little of Harper. Hope he plays more games. Seriously good rookie pick up North. Really like our picks these last couple of drafts. Wonder if we are eyeing off some talls to develop for next season already.

44898765_272314613469363_5091142027354452035_n.jpg

http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/tom-mckenzie-moon/

Tom McKenzie is over the moon
NOVEMBER 26, 2018 1:40 PM
BY TARA MURRAY

TAC CUPNORTHERN KNIGHTS

Dsqsu1WVsAAhmFR.jpg

TOM MCKENZIE. PICTURE NORTHERN KNIGHTS
New North Melbourne rookie Tom McKenzie went through a range of emotions late last week as he waited to hear his name called out in the AFL drafts.

The Northern Knights midfielder didn’t expect his name to be called out during the first round on Thursday night – and that’s how events unfolded.

A sleepless Thursday night ensued for McKenzie as awaited the rest of the draft.

McKenzie’s mood dropped even further when he was surprisingly overlooked on the second day of the national draft.

“Coming into it, I was really nervous,” he said. “I had four or five hours sleep the night beforehand.

“I watched the whole national draft and it was terrible. I had got my hopes up that I would be selected.”

McKenzie then turned his attention to other things and was unaware the rookie draft had started earlier than he had been expecting.

Not paying attention to the computer screen, McKenzie missed that North Melbourne had taken him with the 10th pick of the rookie draft.

“I started getting all these texts telling me I had been picked up,” he said.

“I went from being down in the dumps to being over the moon.

“I couldn’t be happier to be going to North Melbourne.”

McKenzie said his selection in the rookie draft showed the hard work he had done leading into and during the TAC Cup season had paid off.

He said he was really proud of his top-age year at the Knights, which included him playing for Vic Metro.

“I moved into the midfield and had to become bigger and stronger,” he said.

“I had to start winning my own ball. I’m really happy with my year and I put my best foot forward.”

Among those to contact him after the draft were Kangaroos coach Brad Scott and captain Jack Ziebell.

Kangaroos and Knights legend Brent Harvey also paid a visit to have a chat about what will happen next.

“I got call from Brad and Jack and some texts from some of the other players,” McKenzie said.

“They sort of welcomed me to the club and they’re happy to have me on board.

“Brad said, ‘You’ve got the talent but once you get onto an AFL list everyone has talent, too – it all depends on how hard you work’.”

The Fitzroy junior started training with the Kangaroos on Monday. The first week he will spend living in a share house with the rest of the draftees.

“It’s a dream come true and I want to put my best foot forward,” he said. “They’ve shown trust in me and I want to show them I’m worth it.”

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Of the higher numbers, #39 has a solid record of being worn by impact players. Also it's on the back of the jumper I won from the club last year so I'm looking forward to cheering on Bread Tom. Maybe that should be Tom Baker...

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/tom-mckenzie-moon/

Tom McKenzie is over the moon
NOVEMBER 26, 2018 1:40 PM
BY TARA MURRAY

TAC CUPNORTHERN KNIGHTS

Dsqsu1WVsAAhmFR.jpg

TOM MCKENZIE. PICTURE NORTHERN KNIGHTS
New North Melbourne rookie Tom McKenzie went through a range of emotions late last week as he waited to hear his name called out in the AFL drafts.

The Northern Knights midfielder didn’t expect his name to be called out during the first round on Thursday night – and that’s how events unfolded.

A sleepless Thursday night ensued for McKenzie as awaited the rest of the draft.

McKenzie’s mood dropped even further when he was surprisingly overlooked on the second day of the national draft.

“Coming into it, I was really nervous,” he said. “I had four or five hours sleep the night beforehand.

“I watched the whole national draft and it was terrible. I had got my hopes up that I would be selected.”

McKenzie then turned his attention to other things and was unaware the rookie draft had started earlier than he had been expecting.

Not paying attention to the computer screen, McKenzie missed that North Melbourne had taken him with the 10th pick of the rookie draft.

“I started getting all these texts telling me I had been picked up,” he said.

“I went from being down in the dumps to being over the moon.

“I couldn’t be happier to be going to North Melbourne.”

McKenzie said his selection in the rookie draft showed the hard work he had done leading into and during the TAC Cup season had paid off.

He said he was really proud of his top-age year at the Knights, which included him playing for Vic Metro.

“I moved into the midfield and had to become bigger and stronger,” he said.

“I had to start winning my own ball. I’m really happy with my year and I put my best foot forward.”

Among those to contact him after the draft were Kangaroos coach Brad Scott and captain Jack Ziebell.

Kangaroos and Knights legend Brent Harvey also paid a visit to have a chat about what will happen next.

“I got call from Brad and Jack and some texts from some of the other players,” McKenzie said.

“They sort of welcomed me to the club and they’re happy to have me on board.

“Brad said, ‘You’ve got the talent but once you get onto an AFL list everyone has talent, too – it all depends on how hard you work’.”

The Fitzroy junior started training with the Kangaroos on Monday. The first week he will spend living in a share house with the rest of the draftees.

“It’s a dream come true and I want to put my best foot forward,” he said. “They’ve shown trust in me and I want to show them I’m worth it.”
Good attitude.

Actually love that JZ contacts all the draftees ASAP, it's a great thing for him to do.

You may hear about a club captain contacting their number one pick each year, but pretty sure that JZ is the only one that goes to the effort of getting in contact with every draftee (or so it seems).

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Actually love that JZ contacts all the draftees ASAP, it's a great thing for him to do.

You may hear about a club captain contacting their number one pick each year, but pretty sure that JZ is the only one that goes to the effort of getting in contact with every draftee (or so it seems).

Ziebell, Geary and Wood were the only on-stage welcomes for 1st round picks on draft night that both looked genuinely warm and actually made sense.

Harbrow looked like he had been told he owes the ATO $200k and that his grandfather had just been taken hostage minutes before he stumbled out on stage.

The crows draftees had a look of "who the **** is this bloke?" on their faces.

Walsh looked scared of getting sandwiched by the Carlton seamen (TM Firestarter).

Quaynor and Presti looked equally confused as to why the latter was on the stage.

Back