Past #39: Tom McKenzie - will play for NMFC VFL team

Remove this Banner Ad

Nuh, its something we have to be real about, if the noise about Bennell is true we cant afford that, the media would have a field day with us. Would I like to give him a chance?, yes, is it worth the risk?, no!
To think the club flicked Mountford in favour of two blokes who played a combined total of 3 VFL games is head scratching ...

To think the club flicked Mountford in favour of two blokes who played a combined total of 3 VFL games is head scratching ...

The thing is though, you have to keep bring new talent in. Most won’t make it, but you lose nothing by cutting players like Mountford, Hibberd, Nielsen etc who won’t make the grade anyway.

The thing is though, you have to keep bring new talent in. Most won’t make it, but you lose nothing by cutting players like Mountford, Hibberd, Nielsen etc who won’t make the grade anyway.
I certainly see merit in this position. I jusr can't help but think that the lads you mentioned - particularly Mountford and Hibberd given their respective dominant State-league seasons - were victims of the Scott/Joyce policy of topping up with C graders, i.e. Ray, Hartung, Morgan, Ahern (i'm sure plenty will disagree) and more recently, Hall and Tyson.

I certainly see merit in this position. I jusr can't help but think that the lads you mentioned - particularly Mountford and Hibberd given their respective dominant State-league seasons - were victims of the Scott/Joyce policy of topping up with C graders, i.e. Ray, Hartung, Morgan, Ahern (i'm sure plenty will disagree) and more recently, Hall and Tyson.

I get your premise, but Ahern certainly isn’t a C grade footballer.

Disappointed for the young fella. Wonder if this means someone like Jacobs will be moved to the rookie list so we can use 4 picks in the national draft.

So you are in favour of keeping D listers instead of C?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointed for the young fella. Wonder if this means someone like Jacobs will be moved to the rookie list so we can use 4 picks in the national draft.
Jacobs yes 4 picks in National Draft and either 1 of the following to go on the Rookie list McDonald McMillan or Turner for a pre season pick which we haven’t had in quite a few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacobs yes 4 picks in National Draft and either 1 of the following to go on the Rookie list McDonald McMillan or Turner for a pre season pick which we haven’t had in quite a few years

Yep. Every other club had at least 2 opportunities to pick up any of those players after we cut them. None did.

Exactly right. We don't find enough gems, but occasionally someone like Zurhaar is found in the rookie draft, and he's worth more than 5 Mountfords. I am happy to trust the club with these kind of decisions, but would hope there are less misses than what we've seen for a long while now from recruiting perspective.

I see you point, but Hall and Ahearn aren't meant to be in this list. Both are very capable under the right coaching

I see you point, but Hall and Ahearn aren't meant to be in this list. Both are very capable under the right coaching
Whist I have some sympathy with Hall's plight, I don't share your confidence in him. This is especially so after seeing him get stretchered from the ground and administered the pethidine stick at Williamstown, only to be cleared of any significant injury. IIRC he did similar in a pre-season game.

Whist I have some sympathy with Hall's plight, I don't share your confidence in him. This is especially so after seeing him get stretchered from the ground and administered the pethidine stick at Williamstown, only to be cleared of any significant injury. IIRC he did similar in a pre-season game.
Think back to the Brisbane game early in the season. He was almost unstoppable.

Exactly right. We don't find enough gems, but occasionally someone like Zurhaar is found in the rookie draft, and he's worth more than 5 Mountfords. I am happy to trust the club with these kind of decisions, but would hope there are less misses than what we've seen for a long while now from recruiting perspective.
realistically the probobility of finding gems in the rookie draft is low anyway, after 4 rounds of recruiting in the main draft you have pretty well taken most of the cream off the top. its only real purpose is to get a look at a few outliers without having to commit to a 2 year contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back