Delisted #39: Trent Mynott - Delisted - 24/10

Capt Hindsight

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It's interesting and encouraging that Dodoro was so specific about his inside skills, we seem more confident in him than we do in Guelfi, despite the fact that Guelfi has done it to some acclaim in a senior setting.
With Guelfi i think they see him as a mr fix it who can play inside mid, fwd or back. Sort of like how they used Howlett, Bird and Hocking this season. Someone to plug a gap.
Whereas Mynott they will try to develop more as a pure mid who can sneak fwd for a goal. They probably see more upside long term in Mynott especially as he still has to fill out alot. I imagine if he had an extra 10kgs thus being 185cm and 85kg (exact same build as Worpel) he would of gone in the national draft in 2nd or 3rd round.

WEEVZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
With Guelfi i think they see him as a mr fix it who can play inside mid, fwd or back. Sort of like how they used Howlett, Bird and Hocking this season. Someone to plug a gap.
Whereas Mynott they will try to develop more as a pure mid who can sneak fwd for a goal. They probably see more upside long term in Mynott especially as he still has to fill out alot. I imagine if he had an extra 10kgs thus being 185cm and 85kg (exact same build as Worpel) he would of gone in the national draft in 2nd or 3rd round.
Yep Guelfi is clearly just a depth player. Someone who can come in and play just about anywhere if we have an injury.

Once Mynott bulks up a bit (hopefully he doesn't forget to keep working on his legs so he maintains and even improves on that acceleration out of traffic. He and Houlahan are the two I'm most excited about.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
From all the write ups, im really surprised this kid lasted to the Rookie Draft and to our pick.
It looks like a lot of the tools are there, its mainly building on that and getting his conditioning up to AFL level.
Which is all you could ask for in any top 30-40 pick, let alone a rookie selection

Well looks like there's our inside mid.

giphy.gif

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought getting mids in the national draft would be more of a chance at being successful then getting one in the rookie draft

Anyway welcome.

Strangely since the draft has become more of a science, I think the rookies have a better strike rate then ND draft picks after pick 50.

But the odds are stacked against them.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
Nice pick up I think. I thought Trent might be chance with our last pick in ND but now he's here good luck to him.

Oh, no Cassidy Parish ? For the VFL side like Aaron Heppell ?

Last edited:
Nice pick up I think. I thought Trent might be chance with our last pick in ND but now he's here good luck to him.

Oh, no Cassidy Parish ? For the VFL side like Aaron Heppell ?

I'm Cassidy Parish and there's no way, I'm playing for the VFL team - He will not get enough midfield time at Essendon VFL - he should be looking to play in the SANFL or WAFL.

WEEVZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm Cassidy Parish and there's no way, I'm playing for the VFL team - He will not get enough midfield time at Essendon VFL - he should be looking to play in the SANFL or WAFL.
Or try his luck with Frankston or something.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Yesterday was my first really good look at Trent. As a slight of body type of player he is not afraid of the contest and thrives putting his head over it. Does go to ground very easily, almost like an U14 diving onto his knees to ensure he is first to the ball. Has neat composure with ball in hand and generally makes good decisions. Was surprised to see he had it 21 times yesterday, would have thought maybe mid teens.

Really impressive yesterday and taylor made for inside/contested football.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Mynott has been quite impressive and I can see why D_P_S was in love with him last year.

I often read that a player is 'a footballer' and based on what I understand the term to mean it's Mynott 'to a tee'.

He's composed with the ball, seems to just end up exactly where he should be every time, he's clean inside, smart if unspectacular on the outside and he's genuinely good above head. Nothing really stands out but there is no obvious weakness in the way he plays. I'd say that the issue he has is that he's not much of a runner and that should count against him in the next few years or until he can build his body and his endurance to being AFL standard.

If he was 188-191cm/90 kg he'd probably have been taken in the top 30 because his size would naturally translate to being an inside mid.

Even if he makes it, and there is good reason to be optimistic, he's destined to do a long apprenticeship in the VFL as I struggle to see how he will impact games at AFL level while still physically immature. I've seen some players and just thought 'what the * we were thinking here?' and that's definitely not the case with Mynott.

As a midfielder he shares a lot of characteristics with Trent Dumont (name aside) from what I've seen. He might not have quite the same grunt at this stage but he has a more rounded game. His biggest issue will be opportunity.

Last edited:
Back