Rumour 3AW - rumour Grundy wants back to S.A.

Remove this Banner Ad

If he went I'd expect something like Carlton's first and a good player. Maybe Jake Kelly.

Would take another future first rounder on top of that I’d say.

That isn’t too different to what they’d get in compensation and given the Pies are one of the best teams in the comp they’d be better off holding Grundy for another year whilst they go deep into finals.

I am 99.9% sure Grundy will sign a long-term contract at the end of this season. More likely a 5 year deal, with the one year remaining in 2020, to make it 6 years, which is close to what he wants.

Would take another future first rounder on top of that I’d say.

That isn’t too different to what they’d get in compensation and given the Pies are one of the best teams in the comp they’d be better off holding Grundy for another year whilst they go deep into finals.
It's very different. They'd be getting a pick towards the end of the first round instead of a possible pick 1, and no player.

It's very different. They'd be getting a pick towards the end of the first round instead of a possible pick 1, and no player.

I still think they'd gamble and keep Grundy for the extra year if all they were going to recieve was 1 first rounder, no matter how high in the draft it is.

Added to that there is always the chance he changes his mind and decides to hang around during 2020.

Last edited:
I still think they'd gamble and keep Grundy for the extra year if all they were going to recieve was 1 first rounder, no matter how high in the draft it is.

Added to that there is always the chance he changes his mind and decides to hang around during 2020.

He is contracted for 2020, so the only club he can play for is the Pies. Don't understand what you mean, if he decides to hang around. I really don't think the option to not hang around is there, do you?

He is contracted for 2020, so the only club he can play for is the Pies. Don't understand what you mean, if he decides to hang around. I really don't think the option to not hang around is there, do you?

Think you'll find Lachie Neale and Dylan Shiel were both contracted for 2019 at their original clubs too. If Collingwood believe they're unlikely to keep him past 2020 then they could look to cash in early and recieve more than they'd get in compensation. If that offer is only a first rounder then I think they say no and hope they can persuade him into re-signing for 2021 and beyond.

There are good ruckmen available hanging around. Port have three rucks developing in their two's that are about to start emerging. They probably get a second on top of that, but can you seriously tell me that they'd rather potentially pick 15-20 to pick 1 AND a player?

There are good ruckmen available hanging around. Port have three rucks developing in their two's that are about to start emerging. They probably get a second on top of that, but can you seriously tell me that they'd rather potentially pick 15-20 to pick 1 AND a player?

I just think a club with resources like Collingwood would back itself in to get him to re-sign. You seem to be forgetting Grundy still has potentially 8 great seasons left in him vs an unknown commodity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So a contracted player has never left his club?

Of course players have left whilst on contract, but those instances usually have a side issue outside of footy attached to them, like a sick family member in another state or mentally struggling being away from family etc. Brodie doesn't fit onto those criterias, plus his love of Melbourne as a city, his girlfriend moving to Melbourne, his purchasing of a property recently, but more importantly his love of the Collingwood footy club, he would never walk out on the club while contracted. As a person he has too much integrity to do that.

Think you'll find Lachie Neale and Dylan Shiel were both contracted for 2019 at their original clubs too. If Collingwood believe they're unlikely to keep him past 2020 then they could look to cash in early and recieve more than they'd get in compensation. If that offer is only a first rounder then I think they say no and hope they can persuade him into re-signing for 2021 and beyond.

Neale left Freo because he had issues with the club, particularly the coaching and needed to leave, Shiel wanted to leave GWS, and it's well known, for 2 years. Hence, why he was about to head to Carlton, he didn't care where he went as long as he was in Melbourne. Like Gibbs who wanted to leave Carlton for 2 years, Ablett wanted to leave the Suns for 2 years etc...All those guys have stories and a desire to leave, Brod's isn't in that category, he loves living in Melbourne, loves the Collingwood footy club, there is no reason for him to leave. As l have absolutely no doubt he will re-sign with the Pies, and knowing that discussion between Brodie's management and the club have already begun, makes it a formality.

Of course players have left whilst on contract, but those instances usually have a side issue outside of footy attached to them, like a sick family member in another state or mentally struggling being away from family etc. Brodie doesn't fit onto those criterias, plus his love of Melbourne as a city, his girlfriend moving to Melbourne, his purchasing of a property recently, but more importantly his love of the Collingwood footy club, he would never walk out on the club while contracted. As a person he has too much integrity to do that.

You obviously know him personally

You obviously know him personally

It doesn't matter how well you know someone, but when you have a somewhat vested interest within the club for over a decade, you do get to understand how individuals operate. Some of the comments on here, make me laugh, hence with the urge to reply to a few of them.

Yadda Yadda, heard it all before.
DeGoey’s leaving for a monster offer, lock it in. Wrong
Moore’s as good as signed away. He’s leaving. Wrong again.
Langdon’s fishing for offers, he’s gone. Wrong yet again.
Pies keep the players they want.
Even Beames, our one true loss of the past few years ends up back with us.

Grundy plays for the biggest club in the land in the best city in the country in the middle of a flag window with the ability to write his own cheque regarding his contract. What reason would he leave?

There's a big difference between moving around within the same city to moving to a new city in a different state. This might come as a shock to you, but not everyone reckons Melbourne is the most liveable city in the world, me being one of them. I'm a Victorian and I'd rather live in Adelaide than Melbourne.
Trade package.
Picks 1 & 10>>Pies
Grundy & Dan Andrews>>Crows.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back