Rumour 3AW - rumour Grundy wants back to S.A.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure she is a smart, independent and self manageable woman, and she wouldn't be depending on what monetary contract Brode's is offered. Your trapped in a time warp, where women stayed home and the men worked!

Not at all, just a realist who knows that unless she owns a chain of physio clinics that are very successful, she's going to be making about $100K, or less than 10% of Brodie's potential earnings. That's not a time warp mate, that's a smart financial decision to set them up for life. And she can still do her job and advance her career, just in another state.

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide
One saving grace is that if anyone were to lose a young gun like Grundy then the compensation would be significant.

What compensation did the Hawks get for Franklin? What compensation did Adelaide get for Dangerfield? Don't kid yourself.
Compensation will be good if he goes this year as he's still contracted, but next year...

Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I’d be very surprised if he left, he will still be paid wel and can make up the money with sponsorship deals (in sure Ed could hook him up with plenty). I could see him heading home in maybe 4-5 years to finish his career.
But right now Collingwood are in their prime, he’d be silly to go

I haven't read the thread but surely people see this as the classic Paul Connors play to get the most cash out of Collingwood?

Grundy is ensconsed in the Malbun/Hipster/I'll wear a pair of lensless glasses on my knob if I want to world. He isn't moving back to Adelaide.

THIS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well done to Carlton for making all of this possible.

I still don't think he'll leave Collingwood at the moment but with Pick 1 hanging around it certainly makes things interesting.

I’d rather use whatever we get from Carlton at the draft and try to get Grundy as an RFA by overpaying $200k-$250k by 6-7 years and hope Pies don’t match. Would probably require the Pies to have an unexpectedly bad 2020 so they’re not staring at pick 16 as compo.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure she is a smart, independent and self manageable woman, and she wouldn't be depending on what monetary contract Brode's is offered. Your trapped in a time warp, where women stayed home and the men worked!

Fair difference between a well paid physio and one of the top few paid players in the AFL. Having said that, Brody will earn big coin in Melbourne anyway. Still, she might be keen to spend a few years in sleepy old Adelaide.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
The crows are notorious underpayers. Not sure that’s going to be the tactic he’s be using.

He’s only looking to make sure he gets the maximum that Collingwood will pay. I doubt he’s trying to extract from them the huge amounts that a Roos or Carlton could pay. This is why Adelaide are a reasonable ruse, using krud Vic clubs makes him look a mercenary, which he’s not. Going home is perfectly reasonable and it’ll ensure Pies genuinely offers all that they can reasonably afford.

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s only looking to make sure he gets the maximum that Collingwood will pay. I doubt he’s trying to extract from them the huge amounts that a Roos or Carlton could pay. This is why Adelaide are a reasonable ruse, using krud Vic clubs makes him look a mercenary, which he’s not. Going home is perfectly reasonable and it’ll ensure Pies genuinely offers all that they can reasonably afford.
I’m sure his manager will be exploring all avenues to get the $ up. But given the crowd reluctance to pay overs for even their own good players, I’m not sure that would be a believable option if all of a sudden they try and sell the story that they are going to change their philosophy of huge $ for one player, no matter how good he is. Clubs are aware how destabilising one massive contract is to list management going forward and also producing resentments from within the list.

He’s a $1mill player probably now because he’s what ruckman/ ruck rovers used to be like 30-40 years ago. I’m not sure we are seeing anything special rather than just seeing something lost to the game a long time ago.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m sure his manager will be exploring all avenues to get the $ up. But given the crowd reluctance to pay overs for even their own good players, I’m not sure that would be a believable option if all of a sudden they try and sell the story that they are going to change their philosophy of huge $ for one player, no matter how good he is. Clubs are aware how destabilising one massive contract is to list management going forward and also producing resentments from within the list.

He’s a $1mill player probably now because he’s what ruckman/ ruck rovers used to be like 30-40 years ago. I’m not sure we are seeing anything special rather than just seeing something lost to the game a long time ago.

Our lust needs a shake up, I expect any resentment would come from those that are too comfortable and need to piss off.

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our lust needs a shake up, I expect any resentment would come from those that are too comfortable and need to ********.
That could be quite a lot of the list. I get the feeling Walker has engendered a culture of some petulance disguised as loyalty. But time will tell. If they offer his $1.2 -$1.5 mill as I read somewhere I’d be having some serious doubts as to where that leaves the rest of list in terms of ability to replace some of the older types as they retire.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
That could be quite a lot of the list. I get the feeling Walker has engendered a culture of some petulance disguised as loyalty. But time will tell. If they offer his $1.2 -$1.5 mill as I read somewhere I’d be having some serious doubts as to where that leaves the rest of list in terms of ability to replace some of the older types as they retire.

I think you’re right except I don’t think it’s a Walker thing, it’s more of a culture that comes from the top and infests the club all the way down. Tenure has been valued well above performance so the idea of being dropped for an in form kid results in the what we’ve seen from Jenkins and Gibbs this year.

Aug 25, 2003
here
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you’re right except I don’t think it’s a Walker thing, it’s more of a culture that comes from the top and infests the club all the way down. Tenure has been valued well above performance so the idea of being dropped for an in form kid results in the what we’ve seen from Jenkins and Gibbs this year.
I just wonder if Walker got the captaincy because he was a bigger personality outside of the club than an actual leader on the field. Because in terms of leading by example, there are a few more introverted types that are infinitely more committed to the contest and getting the dirty ball than Walker. But in Adelaide, a media personality is seen as more strategically advantageous to the club than say Sloane, Laird or even Smith.

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Walsh made Tex captain, seeing him as the natural leader. Plus his loyalty was unquestioned.

As soon as Slaone re-signed we rightly made him co-captain, he''s our natural on field leader, gives 100% selfless effort. Tex is too hot/cold. Inspiration when he turns it on though.

Back