Radio 3AW Sports Today cut in half after nearly 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Boogers

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The show will be on from 6 to 7pm, then from 7 to 10pm there will be networked shows from Sydney: a finance guy for an hour, then Andrew Bolt and Steve Price for 2 hours.

Sports Today started as a one-hour show in 1993 or 1994, and has been a 2hr show for at least 16 or 17 years.

Opinions? I think it will be tough to squeeze everything into less than 40 minutes (less ads and news).

I think it's a free kick to Mark Fine on SEN

Last edited:

The show will be on from 6 to 7pm, then from 7 to 10pm there will be networked shows from Sydney: a finance guy for an hour, then Andrew Bolt and Steve Price for 2 hours.

Sports Today started as a one-hour show in 1993 or 1994, and has been a 2hr show for at least 16 or 17 years.

Opinions? I think it will be tough to squeeze everything into less than 40 minutes (less ads and news).

I think it's a free kick to Mark Fine on SEN
thought sports today, was after the olympic show summary in 96, when olympics finished, it became sports today

Listen every day from the UK. Disappointed about this but from what Dwayne said yesterday it's just for your summer - at least I hope so.

="10Dulkar, post: 41378264, member: 143863"]Listen every day from the UK. Disappointed about this but from what Dwayne said yesterday it's just for your summer - at least I hope so.[/QUOTE]

I listen from Queensland every night at work, have done for about 5 years. I was hoping Dwayne was saying it was just over summer too. When you miss Melbourne and footy its a godsend

With the Sydney owners muscling in, I won't be surprised if the show itself and indeed the entire Melbourne based night lineup is gone from next year in favour of 2GB Sydney programming Mon-Thurs (obviously they'll have different footy Friday Nights).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the Sydney owners muscling in, I won't be surprised if the show itself and indeed the entire Melbourne based night lineup is gone from next year in favour of 2GB Sydney programming Mon-Thurs (obviously they'll have different footy Friday Nights).

i seem to recall reading on AWs facebook page that price and bolts show is melb based. dont think thats true

I'm a bit spewin' about this. I enjoy listening to it when I'm out and about.

This is the dumbest thing 3aw have done since they let Shane McInnes be the fill-in host in Summer. Blerk! He's twice as bad as Mark Doran and Matt Thompson put together

Taking out news and ads, the show now goes for just over 35 minutes. Then if you take out all the times Dwayne says the talkback phone numbers, and "thanks for your company, where ever you might be listening around the land", and all the in-show ads for more sponsors (which are badly disguised 'prizes' for talkback callers), we're down to about 29 minutes :D

It's not so bad now, with not much going on, but it'll be tricky to squeeze everything into to 35 minutes during a big week in footy season. I wonder it Gerard's pissed off.

Ah well, another first world problem I'll have to get over :D

3aw will lose a lot of listeners.

Sports Today was pretty much dead for most of the time anyway.

But, it is the listeners to Nightline that will suffer.

Put it this way - many of our older generation love listening to Bruce Mansfield, Phillip Brady and their panel of regular members like John Blackman and Patti Newton. For that to be thrown away, despite the health of the hosts currently, will affect a lot of 3aw's ratings and listenership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back