3km time trial

Remove this Banner Ad

We did a 2km TT a couple of nights ago, I was embarrassed to run quicker than blokes almost half my age and I did a 9:13. Consider too that I'm in training to do a 50km event in April so I should be slowing down as opposed to speeding up.

I did a 3km trial a couple weeks ago, 12:48. I was pretty pumped - I haven't been for a run longer than maybe 200m in 2-3 years. In saying that I swim a bit. Aiming for 11 flat by the time season starts.

Just quietly how much harder is running as a man V's a boy. Those extra 10kgs make you pretty sluggish

my young bloke did 2.93 for the 20m at Oakleigh testing last week. just checked what Delidio did at u/18 co0mbine and he got 2.90 so pretty pleased considering my bloike had calf troubles. On a good day I reckon he can do 2.80s no problem.

any updated Evo? Has he made the cut?

i might pop over to a sunday game if i can, our home ground in in camberwell even though we're south yarra - is he the cwell sports ground? our masters play there that i plat for sometimes

do they mention to him what they want him to improve on or anything

pretty good but gets a fair bit of traffic on it i think...so apart from our 2 teams teams old scotch are there too...i've kicked a few bags in the masters on that ground!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My club has used 2km as our time trial distance this pre season, 5 laps around a proper athletic track...I've just done a 2km loop around my place and measured on map my run. So far;

Date - Time
22/11 - 8:33
17/12 - 8:12
26/01 - 7:49

Happy with the way I'm tracking, I'm hoping in the next 4 weeks I can get it down to 7:30.

Did some off season running (keeping in mind up until about November I was training for endurance OCR stuff, think 10-20kms).

2km - 7.40
3km - 11.50

I think at my peak (18-22) I was punching out about 10.30's for 3km.

Good old days when i was the same age and only weighed 70-72 kgs, running was easy back then!

Your times are respectable for local footy.......i am trying to get to sub 7:30 by mid march

Good old days when i was the same age and only weighed 70-72 kgs, running was easy back then!

Your times are respectable for local footy.......i am trying to get to sub 7:30 by mid march

I had 10kgs on you at that age but it still felt a lot easier than it does now, also doesn't take 4 days to recover from it.

haven't run a 3km recently. my last major run was a 5km road race in july last year up here in Sydney - 17:53. came second. was a relatively flat course. got my weight down to 73kg for it. 175cm. am normally around 78kg. fairly lean muscle.

not an elite time at all but for a 40 yo i was chuffed. I am also an athletics coach so knew how to train specifically for it for 12 weeks. had a bit of an advantage to the average pleb who probably trained for it by going out and doing steady runs all the time.

Last edited:
Did a 3km run today, first run this year (its shameful i know)
Im 178cm, 80kgs... ran it in 13.10mins. Felt good after untill i looked at the time... ive been eating for many puddings this offseason.

Ive never timed myself before but i no i can do better once i get my fitness back

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've got an absolute freak in our team who knocks out a 2km in about 6:30. I got my time down a few weeks ago to 7:10 which I was very happy with but then decided to do my hamstring for the 5th time in 12 months.

I find you can run a quicker time at footy training when you have blokes to set the pace and chase down. It's a bit tricker setting the pace on your own.

I recently read a book discussing whether the sub 2 hour marathon is possible. It was interesting to note a lot of marathons have pace setters, literally they will run a certain speed knowing they can't finish the race and drop off anywhere from 8-12km out from the finish line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back