3rd Ashes Test: Australia v England, Old Trafford August 1-5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
It's make or break time for the Aussies in Manchester.

With Pattinson out we are one strike bowler down, although he hadn't been at his absolute best.

There is now a chance for Bird to stake a claim as a permanent member of the bowling attack.

Our batting line-up is a shambles with far too many out of form players. I distinctly hope that the batsmen can score a decent enough total to allow the bowlers to rest without having to make most of the runs.

Bird has a better test record (tiny sample size) but also a better first class record than Pattinson. No loss. The problem is we're losing one of our best batsmen, with Pattinson having performed better than Cowan, Smith and arguably Haddin and Rogers.

The point is that they don't know what their best team is. How can they? They've just lost 6 matches in a row. I'm damned if I know what they should do.

Bob Simpson faced the same problem in the late 1980s and went with the players he felt had character and were prepared to work hard like Steve Waugh and David Boon.

It should be obvious to those who see the boys close up every day.

Bob Simpson faced the same problem in the late 1980s and went with the players he felt had character and were prepared to work hard like Steve Waugh and David Boon.

It should be obvious to those who see the boys close up every day.

If I had to pick a side based on character and hard work it would be.

Rogers
Cowan
Khawaja
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Wade
Siddle
Harris
Lyon
Bird

If I had to pick a side based on character and hard work it would be.

Rogers
Cowan
Khawaja
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Wade
Siddle
Harris
Lyon
Bird

That team won't win at all. you need to attack them, for mine

Warner
Watson
Huges
Khawaja
Clarke
Smith
haddin
Agar
siddle
harris
bird

The difference between those two teams is whether you want to sink slowly or sink fast. As it's test cricket, sinking slowly and making them work for the win is preferable.:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That team won't win at all. you need to attack them, for mine

Warner
Watson
Huges
Khawaja
Clarke
Smith
haddin
Agar
siddle
harris
bird

Works for me.
A well balanced lineup, and Smith gives us an extra spinning option. Hopefully his back loosens up and he can play tomorrow night.

I think Agar will be pretty stiff to miss out if his hip/finger etc. has healed. If he's fit to go, we should give him a go on a spinning deck.

Disagree. No need to burn him out. Needs another 12 months playing for WA.

Which is why I said if fit. If he's not up to it, then he shouldn't play.

He is probably "fit" as you put it, but asking a 19 year old spinner to bowl 500+ overs in 5 tests is a bit much, he should be managed through this series. Give him maybe 1 more test, but he should be playing every Shield match for WA

agar is fit he bowled in the tour match just under a week after the last test so that sore hip myth was debunked just isn't any good (yet)
warner will come in sadly,he just ain't a test batsmen his record speaks that,but hey i'm happy to eat my word with sauce if he comes out an makes a 100 an wins us the test,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back