3rd Man Up Banned

3rd man up banned good or bad?

• Good

• Bad

• Jack Watts

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wtf you talking about? Are the umpires at every stoppage going to do a survey as to who is going for the ruck knock?
You mean are they going to ask the ruckman to nominate themselves?

Like they do now?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
You mean are they going to ask the ruckman to nominate themselves?

Like they do now?

So if your ruckman runs deep into defence and the ball goes out of bounds on the wing we will have to wait for him to run over and take the throw in? Surely at any stoppage the team can nominate who is going for the tap?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So if your ruckman runs deep into defence and the ball goes out of bounds on the wing we will have to wait for him to run over and take the throw in? Surely at any stoppage the team can nominate who is going for the tap?

I'm convinced you're trolling now

Currently the umpire asks who is ruck at ever contest

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Funnily the only teams that are whinging are the ones that haven't bothered to recruit ruckmen! Blame your recruiters, not the AFL for changing a ridiculous rule.

Interesting, Hawks, Cats and Doggies have average ruckman.

You have got away with a tactic which has now been deemed illegal. Suck it up.

Interesting, Hawks, Cats and Doggies have average ruckman.

You have got away with a tactic which has now been deemed illegal. Suck it up.

I guess dinosaur jacobs' career had to be revived somehow.

Give me a mobile ruckman that can take contested marks and kick goals on the run from 50 like Jordan Roughead any day

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide

Give me a mobile ruckman that can take contested marks and kick goals on the run from 50 like Jordan Roughead any day

This isn't about Jacobs but thanks anyway - why both having rucks if they are just going to contest the first bounce of the quarter and when goals are scored.

We will wait and see how this affects these sides (if at all).

Probably won't impact on Bulldogs but both Geelong and Hawks are on the slide.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

Way to deflect and monumentally miss the point.
The context of the thread is the rule change. The question is how that impacts on teams without 2 strong tap rucks on the field as it will be a lot more difficult to disrupt a dominant ruck.
You would think one option for the Bulldogs would be to give up the ruck of necessity and shark the taps, I think they do this a lot anyway. Roughead is a good ruck forward but in majority of sides he would be the 2nd or relieving ruck.

Dominant rucks don't matter. Look at all the top rucks in the league: most are in average teams. They are nice to have but these days of congested footy a good midfield easily beats a good ruck

If tap rucks were so important then will minson would have played a lot more in the past.

Wtf you talking about? Are the umpires at every stoppage going to do a survey as to who is going for the ruck knock?
They already do this, prior to each ruck contest they ask the competing rucks to identify themselves

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happy to go back to the way it was with traditional one on one rucks as long as they don't bring in another rule change in a couple of years if stoppages increase.
Leave the game alone.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
What? Like they use to 10 years ago?

Give me a break.

List management is the key and everything else is just excuses.
Yes 10 years ago.
That the rules committee has actively tried to dismantle over time. Can't shepherd the space, can't body the ruck and now can't go third man up. Essentially they've decided that each ruck contest will be the equivalent of a basketball tip off.
All we need is to introduce a throw up rather than a bounce and everything is complete.

And yes, list management is a key however making the rule AFTER lists were finalised is plainly ridiculous.

Wait until teams suffer a ruck injury during a game and we have an unequal ruck contest that cannot be overcome and then we'll come up with another rule change to fix it.

I understand that the next ruck tactic in play for throw ins is to start near the boundary umpire and run with the ball jumping into the taller opposing ruckman. Wait for the rule change banning that one too.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The best tactic is to draft and develop a big bull ruck yourself, which is the reason the AFL have banned the third man.

Without it the game was trending towards a big bodied mid manning up the opposition ruck around the ground and holding them down while the leaping third came over the top and put a knee in for good measure.

Why would you bother drafting a ruckman in that environment? If you are a 200cm+ athlete, why would you choose AFL?

That is the root of it.
If you are a 200cm + Potato why should you be gifted a list spot just because you are tall? Doubt this rule would have any impact on the Tom Lynch types (who are 200cm and coordinated)

If you are a 200cm + Potato why should you be gifted a list spot just because you are tall? Doubt this rule would have any impact on the Tom Lynch types (who are 200cm and coordinated)

It isn't about the less talented ones, its about keeping the door open for the rest.

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You really think we went after Lewis for his 2 hitouts a game? The ****?
Of course not, but one of the unique strings to his particular bow has now been taken away and it is a string that doesn't rely on the physical attributes that will likely slow him down in his twilight years. Lewis has been a champion but his best is either past him or has a short window left - a 3 year contract is a little on the excessive side for someone not going to get any better as a mid and who has now lost a unique skill set through no fault of his own.

I just don't like rule changes made after list decisions have been made. It is patently unfair on all clubs, who need to make decisions on keeping/delisting/chasing players based on various attributes but whose attributes are then nullified by rule changes without consultation. The AFL should make the decisions straight after the season but then they would be held to account by a captive audience and media profile, whereas a quiet press release a couple of days before Xmas gives no real opportunity for accountability.

Of course not, but one of the unique strings to his particular bow has now been taken away and it is a string that doesn't rely on the physical attributes that will likely slow him down in his twilight years. Lewis has been a champion but his best is either past him or has a short window left - a 3 year contract is a little on the excessive side for someone not going to get any better as a mid and who has now lost a unique skill set through no fault of his own.

I just don't like rule changes made after list decisions have been made. It is patently unfair on all clubs, who need to make decisions on keeping/delisting/chasing players based on various attributes but whose attributes are then nullified by rule changes without consultation. The AFL should make the decisions straight after the season but then they would be held to account by a captive audience and media profile, whereas a quiet press release a couple of days before Xmas gives no real opportunity for accountability.

Nah. You know what was unfair? Us not being able to recruit a replacement player for Monfries when we traded for him before the ASADA s**t hit the fan. When the AFL went to all the other clubs and asked if we should be able to secure one from the state leagues and you all said no because it was going to make such a huuuge difference to our fortunes to have a state league ruck on our books for a year. You know what people said? That we should have adjusted our list and been ready for it.

You and the rest of the sooks from Geelong and Hawthorn can go suck a dick, as far as I'm concerned. Rule changes? You should have been ready for it.

Jeez port fans get a bit lippy.

The Bulldogs drafting the best ruck in the draft shows we were as ready as we could be.

Until he develops we will just have to put up with Jordan Roughead competing in the ruck then beating his opponent around the ground

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Dominant rucks don't matter. Look at all the top rucks in the league: most are in average teams. They are nice to have but these days of congested footy a good midfield easily beats a good ruck

If tap rucks were so important then will minson would have played a lot more in the past.
Jeez port fans get a bit lippy.

The Bulldogs drafting the best ruck in the draft shows we were as ready as we could be.

Until he develops we will just have to put up with Jordan Roughead competing in the ruck then beating his opponent around the ground
First post; good rucks don't matter.

Second post; Dogs drafted "the best ruck in the draft" with a FIRST ROUND PICK.

But good rucks don't matter.

:rolleyes:

First post; good rucks don't matter.

Second post; Dogs drafted "the best ruck in the draft" with a FIRST ROUND PICK.

But good rucks don't matter.

:rolleyes:

Well to keep the armchair experts happy we've gone and grabbed one anyway. This draft doesn't matter that much for us we can afford to wait and see. We've already got a young premiership quality list that's only going to get better.

And you hate that

Back