3rd Man up - Goneski!

Remove this Banner Ad

On a serious note, while I think this looks to be a positive rule change and made before, not during, the season I would rather the AFL focus on issues like this, and possible penalties (Whitfield, previously Dees tanking) prior to the draft.

The rule change potentially disadvantages teams who have been both recruiting and planning with the previous rules in place. Of course, in practice, they may well have been aware it was possible, even likely, to change, but certainty prior to the draft would surely be more appropriate.

Ideally it would be nice to have more advance notice. Although I think this is orders of magnitude less intrusive than say, the substitute rule, which also played havoc with teams. It completely changed the type of ruckman teams could carry and also what type of ruckman it was.

If Shannon Motlop was still around I'd say him.

Thank you AFL.

Now if you can look at the blatant throwing of the ball, especially over the head bs

That doesn't need a rule change. Just needs then to actually enforce the rule as its been for 150+ years.

Who will be the first noob to go up Third Man on our team?

Has to be Hrovat... It's a Bulldogs thing.

Plus, he'd want to equal Boomer's hit-out stats.

Once again, I don't think they should ban the practice, just make it legal to put the bloke in hospital. If you want to stand in the blind spot of the man on the mark then you should cop the elbow to the head without any chance of a free kick.

As long as the team manning the mark can also have a bloke to come in and protect the man on the mark. It's for squibs n snakes hitting up the man on the mark. WAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shhhhhhh............

Very happy with this change but, as others have pointed out, being cleared to murder the opposition's 3rd man up would have been good also.

C'mon Goldy, expand that Toddpiece of yours with your 12 schlongs once again thanks champ!

IMO the protection of the third man up was possibly one of the most frustrating things/laws in football. It just seemed so wrong.

I would have been happy with dumping it but I'm really looking forward to this rule change now. It might make the game more enjoyable and fun to watch. Also might make that preference swap for Hrovat look pretty damn smart.

IMO the protection of the third man up was possibly one of the most frustrating things/laws in football. It just seemed so wrong.

Hard to even comprehend really why it was there. Mabo, the vibe etc

Don't like the rule but it should favour us.

Hope it doesn't increase congestion as the 3rd man up was regularly used for this purpose.

Completely agree. Coupled with the fact that the 3rd (and occasionally FOURTH) man up could jump into the ruckmen? Such a dumb rule as it was.

Would have preferred they eliminated the protection for the 3rd man (other than the protections all players have at stoppages, holding etc) and that they would be penalised for making contact with the designated oppo ruck before contact with the ball. Would have the true rucks flourish a bit more, while also allowing those that truly excel at being third up be able to have an impact.

Overall though, scrapping third up is simpler. Back to black and white instead of a dozen shades of grey.

Exactly, if the ruckman came in and went over the top of the other ruckman he would be pinged for it. Yet a guy could run from CHB to CHF and jump over both ruckmen without infringing, how was that in anyway fair.

Don't like the rule but it should favour us.

Hope it doesn't increase congestion as the 3rd man up was regularly used for this purpose.
The AFL looked into doing this a few years back, but didn't as they too were concerned about congestion. They got two years evidence which suggests there is no discernible difference between a contest involving a third man up, and one that doesn't.

I would have been happy with dumping it but I'm really looking forward to this rule change now. It might make the game more enjoyable and fun to watch. Also might make that preference swap for Hrovat look pretty damn smart.

I read someone whining that rucks should not be given protection when no-one else on the field is exempt from being double teamed. It's a valid point, but even more valid is the point that third man up should not be given protection that no-one else around the contest receives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back