3rd ODI England v England @ Trent Bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

For some perspective on Australia at the moment, since beating India in Pune, they have played 14 tests, won 6, lost 6, drawn 2.
In their last 14 - and their opposition has been reasonably comparable - the West Indies have won 5, lost 7, and drawn 2.
That test was 16 months ago. That is not "a long time" which is the point I was replying to.

Edit: And I'm sorry but India in India, Bangladesh in Bangladesh, England in Australia and South Africa in South Africa is not reasonably comparable to Sri Lanka in WI, New Zealand in New Zealand, Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe and Pak home and away.

Last edited:
They've also played at least 8 more than anyone else aside from england - who are s**t - Lose a lot more frequently than India or South Africa , win less frequently than India and fractionally more than SA. Their win loss ratio is also inferior to NZ.

There is no word that better sums up Australia in test cricket in recent times than the word 'mediocrity.'
Again he didn't say Australia were mediocre, he said we were s**t and have been for a long time. That is not correct.

That test was 16 months ago. That is not "a long time" which is the point I was replying to.

Edit: And I'm sorry but India in India, Bangladesh in Bangladesh, England in Australia and South Africa in South Africa is not reasonably comparable to Sri Lanka in WI, New Zealand in New Zealand, Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe and Pak home and away.

Australia didn't take a test last time they went to the UAE. West Indies did. They almost took 2 of them bar a lower order meltdown.

Australia has won 1 live test in England in 13 years. West Indies did it last year as well.
Pakistan playing on low, slow wickets in the West Indies pose much more of a challenge than they do in Australia. Barring Shannon Gabriel's inexplicable brain melt 7 balls from stumps, we draw that series and our record looks even better.

Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe aren't as good as Bangladesh. But they're ok. We didn't lose a test there. Australia did lose one in Bangladesh.
New Zealand, as I've literally just shown you two posts back, have a better win-loss ratio than Australia in the period YOU nominated. So of course playing them in New Zealand is a tough ask for a side who plays in the conditions the West Indies do.
Sri Lanka are not a great side. But they did whip Australia 3-0 with a reasonably similar squad to what they've got now. In fact they now boast a 150km/h quick who is doing considerable damage. They're away from home, but again, they're not exactly playing on Jo'burg fliers in Port Of Spain and Gros Islet are they.

This doesn't intend to make out as though my side is as good as Australia. They aren't.

But there is no argument whatsoever to suggest that Australia are anything other than mediocre. Volume of tests won correlated directly with volume played.
They've lost as many series in the last 3 years (1 more in fact) as what SA have lost in the last 12.

Fwiw India and SA also boast much better w/l ratios to Australia over the last decade as well.

India wins at the same rate per match as Australia, SA at a clearly better rate in that period, irrespective of draws/defeats.

Now if you look at 95-2008, Australia had a ridiculous win-loss ratio of almost 4 wins per loss. Twice as good as the next best side. And their win-rate was better than 66 per cent. Now it is below 50.

Australia didn't take a test last time they went to the UAE. West Indies did. They almost took 2 of them bar a lower order meltdown.

Australia has won 1 live test in England in 13 years. West Indies did it last year as well.
Pakistan playing on low, slow wickets in the West Indies pose much more of a challenge than they do in Australia. Barring Shannon Gabriel's inexplicable brain melt 7 balls from stumps, we draw that series and our record looks even better.

Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe aren't as good as Bangladesh. But they're ok. We didn't lose a test there. Australia did lose one in Bangladesh.
New Zealand, as I've literally just shown you two posts back, have a better win-loss ratio than Australia in the period YOU nominated. So of course playing them in New Zealand is a tough ask for a side who plays in the conditions the West Indies do.
Sri Lanka are not a great side. But they did whip Australia 3-0 with a reasonably similar squad to what they've got now. In fact they now boast a 150km/h quick who is doing considerable damage. They're away from home, but again, they're not exactly playing on Jo'burg fliers in Port Of Spain and Gros Islet are they.

This doesn't intend to make out as though my side is as good as Australia. They aren't.

But there is no argument whatsoever to suggest that Australia are anything other than mediocre. Volume of tests won correlated directly with volume played.
They've lost as many series in the last 3 years (1 more in fact) as what SA have lost in the last 12.
I would like to poke the holes in the points you've made as I feel you are doing a fair bit of cherry-picking with your stats (which admittedly I was doing as well) however I just don't have the time to research and write it all and I'm not sure anybody wants to read it.

I just don't think you can make the argument that Australia have been s**t for a long time without labelling everyone bar South Africa as s**t for a long time.

I would like to poke the holes in the points you've made as I feel you are doing a fair bit of cherry-picking with your stats (which admittedly I was doing as well) however I just don't have the time to research and write it all and I'm not sure anybody wants to read it.

I just don't think you can make the argument that Australia have been s**t for a long time without labelling everyone bar South Africa as s**t for a long time.

s**t might be an exaggerated term but they are decidedly ordinary over a long period and clearly statistically inferior to two teams, and in the last 5 years you can make an argument to say that the only thing giving them any edge over NZ is their head to head effort - numerically the kiwis have probably outperformed them as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back