3rd ODI Sri Lanka v Australia @ Pallakele Stadium June 19 1830hrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't help when you've got half the side out TBF.

I think we have a better T20 side than ODI.

Our ODI side has to get with the times. Too many selections are in the mould of defending 270 odd. That total hasn't been good enough for years. We need to pick a side that gives you 300+ and yes that might mean leaving one of Lab/Smith out.

I think that considering we picked a side that had Green at 8, we didn't score enough

Even Richo at 9 can whack it but didn't get a go

Should be defending 290+. Have to say our main bowlers were poor up front and talking Hazelwood for one

Only one who bowled well was Richo

Still think the batting wasn't good enough too

was a fail all around

All round yes, but in general 290 should be defendable especially with turn around but take our best two spinners out in Agar and Zamps and the cupboard is bare.

If we had our full strength bowling line up, I think 290 was more than enough.

Take out Cummings, Starc, Zampa, Agar and Stoinis and its just too many.
Well yeah but we didn't have that lineup and we knew that going into the game, instead we selected a batting heavy lineup with Green at 8 and with that expectation, I expect a higher score to defend

I did say it during our batting innings that we would be expecting more from this lineup

Well yeah but we didn't have that lineup and we knew that going into the game, instead we selected a batting heavy lineup with Green at 8 and with that expectation, I expect a higher score to defend

I did say it during our batting innings that we would be expecting more from this lineup
Doesn't matter where Green bats if he's not facing many balls.
It wasn't that easy to bat on.

What changes would you have made to the side?

The obvious one is surely not batting Mitch Marsh at 3 in a ODI! I'd rather Mitch come in a bit later.

Not sure of the role of Cameron Green? Bowled 5 overs, faced 12 balls. If he's batting at 8 he is in the side as a bowler and should be bowling 10 overs, unless of course he is still on restrictions.

Next game Cummins in for Green, Smith for Marnus if he is fit.
Make the batting order, Warner, Finch, Smith, Head, Carey, Marsh, Maxwell. Mitch Marsh can play the exact same role he does in the T20 side coming in with about 15 overs remaining, also means he faces less spin. Stoinis probably takes his spot when he's fit though.

bowling was a bit light on already then relying on overs from Green/Marsh who were a bit underdone

we were 1 front line bowler short and we paid the price
good batting display by SL

Marsh batting lower

More aggression from the batters as we had players in the back ala Green

I don't necessarily think we could have made changes to the actual team, we were hamstrung by injuries and I've acknowledged that, I just think the team that we picked underperformed in both batting and bowling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well my thoughts is that we are playing way too conservative as a batting unit

Lets face it Maxi provided the impetus when he came in and the score started to go upwards.....and maxi should of been out 2nd ball he faced

It seems like we are going back to the tried and tested plan of keeping wickets in hand and relying on the last 10 overs to accelerate and maxi providing the majority of that . Yes this has worked in the past but we really need to change going forward

I am worried about the openers and the scoring rate its not dynamic anymore....either finch is out of form or warner and when they do come good its a 50 off 60/70 balls not a 50 off 40

The middle order is just way too conservative from 10 - 40 overs its just mundane keep wickets in hand and rely on maxi hopefully to come off at the end and boost our scoring rate. We are struggling to hit the spinners in the middle overs

I would much prefer head going forward for one of the opening positions and marsh still at three and tell him to hit the bloody thing....mitch plays best when hitting the ball. Also if we have an issue against the spin...target the quicks at the start...go hard use players who prefer the quicks ala head marsh and tell them to go for it... then use your best players against spin Smith maxi in the middle overs

Also wtf is the point of green batting eight and only bowling 5 overs....he just scored a hundred batting 4 use him please....just stupid

injuries are hurting us but we can do better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back