Review 3rd Quarter fade outs

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about fade outs, but we sure as hell need to address the amount of red time goals we concede. The greatest example of course being the three in a minute during the latter part of the third last Saturday.

Its deliberate. The pattern is go out hard in the first quarter, keep going hard to extend the lead in the second, and save the best for last.

Its clearly a risky tactic that may pay off most of the time in the regular season but Beveridge ( and it is Beveridge) runs the risk of the better opposition gaining momentum, and letting them back in eg Richmond, Port and the one that counts the most, and completely over-running us.

That has to have a negative mental effect on the players.

Where coaches earn their keep is in game-day management. Recognizing the key moments when they happen and then adapting tactically to the moments. In the GF, the key moment was when we were 19 points up, had the ball locked inside fwd 50, and there was a herculean war for the next goal. Get that goal and we break them. That is when I would like to see us throw every best player on, rather than resting them for the final quarter.

And don't get me started on the conceding of goals in the last few minutes of quarters. Been happening all season. Its criminal how the coaching staff have been unable to fix it. If they hadn't got the message its happening, after 3 goals in the last 50 sec of a quarter in the grand final, then they never will.

I think there is a Physical Conditioning issue behind the 3rd Q fades - it may be simply increasing the aerobic - stamina workload and looking at if some of the mids are carrying to much bulk

I also think Libba needs more help winning the clearances, perhaps the workload jades him after half time. Perhaps losing the hit outs most of the time is also taking a toll on our midfield have to constantly shark the opposition ruck

It's great to get a fast start but not at the sacrifice of losing over half our 3rd Quarters

Its deliberate. The pattern is go out hard in the first quarter, keep going hard to extend the lead in the second, and save the best for last.

Its clearly a risky tactic that may pay off most of the time in the regular season but Beveridge ( and it is Beveridge) runs the risk of the better opposition gaining momentum, and letting them back in eg Richmond, Port and the one that counts the most, and completely over-running us.

That has to have a negative mental effect on the players.

Where coaches earn their keep is in game-day management. Recognizing the key moments when they happen and then adapting tactically to the moments. In the GF, the key moment was when we were 19 points up, had the ball locked inside fwd 50, and there was a herculean war for the next goal. Get that goal and we break them. That is when I would like to see us throw every best player on, rather than resting them for the final quarter.

And don't get me started on the conceding of goals in the last few minutes of quarters. Been happening all season. Its criminal how the coaching staff have been unable to fix it. If they hadn't got the message its happening, after 3 goals in the last 50 sec of a quarter in the grand final, then they never will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back