Analysis 3rd quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

not enough proper midfield rotations, its either Mitch, Burgs or bust! Langers is ok in bursts, Shiels is a bust and the rest are a bunch of half forward flankers who are NOT natural ball winners so too much left to few after half time! everything is about the midfield battle, get it out to the runners and let them get to work forward of centre like the Crows do and we used to with Sammy, Lewy, Burgs, Hodgey and Sewell going troppo in there for 10 years!!

I suspect that we're not adjusting to opposition half-time adjustments. I think our game plan takes all week to set up with new players and off-form so when oppositions do a half-time adjustment we're caught out. If we manage to string a few games together and reduce the pressure then our thirds will pick up as we do a more complete prep each week.

My guess anyway.

The opposition is running us off our feet after half time, our ability to pressure the ball carrier drops off a cliff after the break.

My theory is because we lack run & carry we aren't forcing teams to expend enough energy to cover us defensively in first halves, and after half time they burst out of the blocks still reasonably fresh. It could also be that our gameplan is overly reliant on structures which naturally deteriorate as players tire, and too few of our defenders & mids are capable of winning 1 on 1 contests against their direct opponents. In any case our lack of legspeed becomes more of a factor as the game wears on, it doesn't appear to be something we're recruited for as heavily as other clubs.

The opposition is running us off our feet after half time, our ability to pressure the ball carrier drops off a cliff after the break.

My theory is because we lack run & carry we aren't forcing teams to expend enough energy to cover us defensively in first halves, and after half time they burst out of the blocks still reasonably fresh. It could also be that our gameplan is overly reliant on structures which naturally deteriorate as players tire, and too few of our defenders & mids are capable of winning 1 on 1 contests against their direct opponents. In any case our lack of legspeed becomes more of a factor as the game wears on, it doesn't appear to be something we're recruited for as heavily as other clubs.

I think this is it. Not the gameplan, specifically, but how the players implement it. I think they are lacking a little creativity and are caught out in the third after the other teams re-plans during the major break. I think our guys are not confident/capable to significantly adjust the playing responsibilities and it takes a long time for that to come through with runners, etc. Dunno.

Intensity has always allowed a lesser team to go with, possibly even beat a better team if they can keep it up long enough

Too many kids or old blokes and you can't keep that intensity up long enough

The kids can get worn down physically and mentally from bit being mature enough, the older players struggle more with recovery as the year goes on and wear down from that.

Some of our issues are just that, we aren't good enough to win without that intensity and we have too many players outside the sweet zone for age and experience

We will either improve and then drop off again towards the end of the year, or if we are lucky and the players are managed right and get enough wins and confidence we will become more consistent in the back half of the season and come home strong

Yep, no intensity in the third.

I re-watched and the amount of tackles we missed was extraordinary. They treated us with contempt with the ball carrier often brushing off 2-3 players before linking the next handpass.

Of the 3 phases of football we certainly were lacking when they had it and when it was in dispute, just weren't hungry enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the centre bounce at the beginning of the third, around our ruckman (most likely BB) we place Roughy, Burton and Hardwick. That'll **** 'em.

Just make sure we win the clearance, coz we won't have anyone decent down back. :p

At the centre bounce at the beginning of the third, around our ruckman (most likely BB) we place Roughy, Burton and Hardwick. That'll **** 'em.

Just make sure we win the clearance, coz we won't have anyone decent down back. :p
That's about the only thing we won on Sunday. Every time they kicked a goal I was filled with a brief moment of hope we could counter. Then it would rebound out in a flash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back