Expansion 3rd South Australian Club

Remove this Banner Ad

TalkingFootyNow1223

Stay Calm... Its Just A Game... SweetFA..
Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
This isn't a now situation im talking years down the track, the game will expand weather it be through introducing teams out side of Aus or expanding internally. The AFL has already stated they are following in the footsteps of NBA, NFL, EPL etc

Perth itself is bigger than South Australia in population and economy.
In the 1986 the population of the 2 cities from the census was;
Adelaide 1,034,960
Perth..... 1,075,959

1986 was when the VFL asked both WAFC and SANFL to put a team into the expanded comp. In 1980 East Perth had written a submission into how and why two teams from Perth could join, but VFL directors sent it back to them without even commenting on it.

Latest population stats from ABS Cat 3101.0 for March 2019 with Oz figures by state, but by cities is only to 30 June 2018, the 2 cities were at;

Greater Adelaide 1,345,777
Greater Perth..... 2,059,484

So Perth in 32 years has grown from basically the same size as Adelaide, to 1.55 times the size of Adelaide. They will get a 3rd team long before Adelaide does, as the rest of the state has also gone through a similar relative increase.

What do you consider the core income stream and how much would this be?
AFL distribution + membership income and matchday revenue + corporate sponsorships/hospitality boxes/corporate coterie group packages. You are looking at close to $50 million.

TalkingFootyNow1223

Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
In the 1986 the population of the 2 cities from the census was;
Adelaide 1,034,960
Perth..... 1,075,959

1986 was when the VFL asked both WAFC and SANFL to put a team into the expanded comp. In 1980 East Perth had written a submission into how and why two teams from Perth could join, but VFL directors sent it back to them without even commenting on it.

Latest population stats from ABS Cat 3101.0 for March 2019 with Oz figures by state, but by cities is only to 30 June 2018, the 2 cities were at;

Greater Adelaide 1,345,777
Greater Perth..... 2,059,484

So Perth in 32 years has grown from basically the same size as Adelaide, to 1.55 times the size of Adelaide. They will get a 3rd team long before Adelaide does, as the rest of the state has also gone through a similar relative increase.
I honestly appreciate your comments as they genuinely have fact and statistical conformation. Thank you for getting down to the fine pointy end of the facts that i was overseeing. The rest of you are trolling for reactions and unfortunately i dont bite when trolls go fishing. So if its a case of us being stagnant as a state and to some circumstances going backwards, do i now ask the question would it be financially better to merge both SA clubs as they both seem to have massive problems one being financially and the other breaking down internally? But the main point i wanted to pass during this message was a big thank you.

Per year?
Yes per year. Most football clubs' revenue is $50m or more. You sound very young. You should read this thread on this board.

TalkingFootyNow1223

Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Yes per year. Most football clubs' revenue is $50m or more. You sound very young. You should read this thread on this board.

Thanks for the link, im actually 30 but only just started to get into the inside of footy. Before joining BigFooty i was just a brain dead zombie fan watching week to week only caring about who won and who lost

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I honestly appreciate your comments as they genuinely have fact and statistical conformation. Thank you for getting down to the fine pointy end of the facts that i was overseeing. The rest of you are trolling for reactions and unfortunately i dont bite when trolls go fishing. So if its a case of us being stagnant as a state and to some circumstances going backwards, do i now ask the question would it be financially better to merge both SA clubs as they both seem to have massive problems one being financially and the other breaking down internally? But the main point i wanted to pass during this message was a big thank you.

The SA clubs have the most intense club rivalry in Australian sport. 2 is the perfect number of football clubs in Adelaide. Merging them would be like trying to merge oil and water

TalkingFootyNow1223

Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
There's no need to use the past tense.
Would anyone support the 3rd Adelaide team? I think everyone who would support an Adelaide AFL team already is, not sure there'd be many who would be willing to split off from Crows and Port (or from an interstate club). Could've happened in the 90s but not now.
judging by comments this year id say a lot of supporters would happily part ways with both SA clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TalkingFootyNow1223

Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Comments from my club's supporters seem to suggest they're closer to giving up on AFL football entirely than choosing to support another club, not sure about Port supporters.
Yeh pretty much the same, if Hinkley is coaching next year then by the sounds of things ports memberships are going to be at an all time low

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Would anyone support the 3rd Adelaide team? I think everyone who would support an Adelaide AFL team already is, not sure there'd be many who would be willing to split off from Crows and Port (or from an interstate club). Could've happened in the 90s but not now.
possibly northern suburbs. massive population in Elizabeth, Salisbury and gawler

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Its only a matter of time before South Australia follows in the footsteps of Victoria. The more clubs equals longer seasons in return more money to splash. Higher salary caps, higher player salaries, lower membership prices so more members will be signing up. More money means more and bigger stadiums. Its an open shut book.

No chance. But hey you keep floating bubbles.

TalkingFootyNow1223

Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
sure, but dont be shooting down the people with practical reasons why it wont happen either.
Isn't that a debate? I understand the chances of it happening is 1% but that was also Trumps potential voters count until he became president. I think stranger things have happened than another SA expansion club.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Disaster written all over it Port don’t cope financially when they spend time at the bottom
I’d like a figure of people who don’t support crows,port or a vic team and give a s**t about football that live in adelaide and would go to the game?
My estimation is 5-7000

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
The State would need an economic boom to make it possible. Barely enough money in the State to support 2 clubs. There's a reason Port seeks money from China - because there's not enough corporate $ in Adelaide.

Build a nuclear waste dump in outback or discover diamonds in the Flinders and maybe it will happen

And even then, it would be Norwood and not a new team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back