Expansion 3rd Sydney AFL side prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

We have seen putting GWS in has taken 5k off swans crowds, what do you think putting another team in will do? Lol you truly are a moron.
In 10+ years the Swans will make up the shortfall. It will happen again. That's the price of expansion into a non league area. It's a massive job that will take massive amounts of resources and time.

Another Port Adelaide?

When tt was just the WCE there were still WAFL people and those whowere not sold on the Eagles.
Though it is technically possible to put forward a proposal. Most people are sold on either of the two current AFL teams. The strongest WAFL support is in the Fremantle area. There is no standout region for a new club to alaign with. Peel is still finding it's way in the WAFL.

Furthermore, Fremantle is a city within a city. It's a very proud area with a first rate footy heritage. They took a fair few Eagles supporters. Perth doesn't have another area the same size that would be able to do it.

You seem to forget that the AFL (wrongly in my opinion) is not there just to administer the AFL competition - they are also the custodians of the game itself.

Therefore, decisions made in relation to the AFL competition should extend past "adding value to the AFL". They should also include what is good for the game of Australian Football.

And this is where the AFL has been conflicted and negligent in relation to Tasmania. They have completely ignored the benefits a Tasmanian AFL side would have on the game in that state, when it is their obligation to do so.

Mind you, it's not just the AFL who are ignorant in this regard, as your statement above (and the attitude of many others here) shows.

Sherb, I'm just stating as it is.
I believe Tasmania should have it's own team.

We have seen putting GWS in has taken 5k off swans crowds, what do you think putting another team in will do? Lol you truly are a moron.
If you are going to label people as morons, it wouldn't hurt you to have a squiz through the posting rules for the main board.

Just a handy tip for a newcomer.

There will be a team in Perth, but there's no point putting a team there if no one wants it (think GWS and GC). Timing needs to be right, support needs to be there.
Nice question evasion. Here it is again:

Tell me you wouldn't love the NRL to be in the position of the AFL where you could go plonk teams in Perth and Adelaide?

Any chance you can answer it?

How do you explain the rest of Sydney? I've driven in parts and been taken aback that there are now goalposts.
The last time I went past St Doms College here in Penrith they had Australian Football goalposts up.

This is the school that produced League players of the likes of Fittler and Alexander.

Just an example. There are a number of grounds out this way with posts up (both schools and junior/senior football venues). Far more than there used to be.

Nice question evasion. Here it is again:

Tell me you wouldn't love the NRL to be in the position of the AFL where you could go plonk teams in Perth and Adelaide?

Any chance you can answer it?

Adelaide is a pipe dream for NRL at this point, much more teams should come first.

Over 6m more people watched it last year, yes?
5.2m according to this:

http://www.talkingfooty.com/tv_ratings_2011.php

AFL: 8.1m

Not sure why they have SOO separate but the people who watch SOO are the same people who watch the FTA and PayTV. It's probably there because lot's of people in NSW and QLD only watch SOO. They have a passing interest but when SOO is on they jump on it.

Also take into account there are 40 extra NRL matches a year because NRL has 26 H&A rounds.

You do also know that the average crowd at an AFL match is 35k whilst it's 14k at a League game?

You're in for a shock when the NRL TV rights don't even come close to what the AFL got. Wonder how you will explain it to yourself?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-of-more-cash-from-rights-20111013-1ln6r.html

Sorry, 15m not 6. But what ever. But back on topic, as long as we all know that a 3rd team in Sydney is 50 years away, thats fine.
But the truth is it's probably a lot closer (than 50 years). Why does it bother you so much? In fact why does it bother so many Leaguies? There's no talk in AFL states about League and whether they will or won't relocate. We simply don't care. Any guesses? Let me spell it out for you:

1. AFL fans don't feel threatened by League. Most Melbournians don't have an issue with The Storm being. Install another team if you want. Go for your lives. Doesn't effect us.
2. Leaguies are threatened by AFL. I hear this s**t everyday whether it's Roy Masters or Buzz in the Tele, or Johns and Geyer on MMM, or just guys at work lamenting this non-existent "war"
3. League is a working man's game with a chip on the shoulder culture.

Suck it up. The AFL are coming.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-of-more-cash-from-rights-20111013-1ln6r.html

Sorry, 15m not 6. But what ever. But back on topic, as long as we all know that a 3rd team in Sydney is 50 years away, thats fine.
Just realised, the article is written by Roy Masters. This guy is delusional and has been pushing false figures for a long time now.

Don't you think the TV stations would pay more for League rights if in fact Roy Masters' figures were correct?

Come on, do the maths. Get your head out of the sand.

Sherb, I'm just stating as it is.
I believe Tasmania should have it's own team.

Further to the "value added" debate, whilst we have to accept that one traditional AR area doesn't directly increase the number of AR followers, if accompanied by another new team then there is one extra game and the associated value adding. Also nobody mentioned value adding when the four AFL teams from WA and SA.
joined the competition. It was seen as essential to being a ntaional competition. Tasmania should have a team, if anything to "consolidate the code", a phrase used alot in rl.

No. You want a team in 50 years. But just like you dont have shares in Rio Tinto ... YOU have no say about it.
If the AFL and the fans want a third team there, we will put one there. The number of 'we' is growing every day.

1. AFL fans don't feel threatened by League. Most Melbournians don't have an issue with The Storm being. Install another team if you want. Go for your lives. Doesn't effect us.

To add, if you check out the twitter feeds of many AFL players they were watching the SoO.
Even on the AFL website an article talked about Queensland win being used to motivate the Lions. Voss himself also talked about SoO as an inspiration on channel seven in QLD.

2. Leaguies are threatened by AFL. I hear this s**t everyday whether it's Roy Masters or Buzz in the Tele, or Johns and Geyer on MMM, or just guys at work lamenting this non-existent "war"

Cameron Smith recently said he enjoys watching AFL more. Many Storm players have stated that they watch matches. You also see on twitter many AFL/NRL players chatting to each other.
I would be very surprised if David Gallop had never seen an AFL match before.
The Sydney media is beating up how popular league in Sydney is. Its more popular in the West than anywhere else and even then comes nowhere near the passion shown for football in any of its traditional areas.
A good analogy to use would be Korea. The North is pretending that it is bigger than it is, and constantly issuing statements about how the USA is attempting to destroy it. The North Korean media feeds the public propaganda about how powerful the regime is and how they will be getting fed soon. They constantly attempt to denigrate the South.
South Korea on the other hand are trying very hard to keep the peace. Whilst they are much more powerful and more advanced.
It is a one way war.

It seems that the AFL has taken over Birchgrove Oval, which is where - as if you didn't know - the first game of dinkum rugby league was played

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz-files/afl-ahead-in-the-hearts-and-minds-game-20120622-20tz9.html#ixzz1zLdrePCx
"A third AFL team from Sydney can only be a matter of time."

can't see a third team from NSW.

Christ, get GWS to a stage where they're at least competitive before thinking about any more clubs. The only other teams to have such a shocking percentage after 14+ games were 1897-1902 St.Kilda and 1919 Melbourne.

The poor performance of the expansion clubs has been given a wide berth in the media.

can't see a third team from NSW.

Some people must be on mind altering substances to even think about a third NSW team. The next 100 years will be about consolidating AFL as a sport in Sydney and attempting to create two teams that can stand on their own two feet.

Some people must be on mind altering substances to even think about a third NSW team. The next 100 years will be about consolidating AFL as a sport in Sydney and attempting to create two teams that can stand on their own two feet.
Dude, you got no idea at all. The AFL is a business and they will be going back there as soon as it's safe.

Are we closer, further or pretty much at the same place we were when the last post was made in 2012 ( above ) about a 3rd Sydney AFL team ?.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back