3rd Test: Australia vs South Africa, Newlands, March 1-5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving them less time to take 10 wkts? As the above poster said this debate isn't worth having, fact is Warner was protecting his ton double, why was Lehman so agitated over the last 30 minutes before lunch? Here's a hint, he wasn't agitated because Warner was scoring so fast, that's for sure.
I suppose it just HAPPENED that Doolan came out having been in contact with the dressing room, and they both went slow, with Warner never having slowed close to a century before...
Coincidence I suppose

Yes that's what I think. It's just daft to get rid of players after 2 or 3 tests. It's a big step up from first class to test cricket, players need to find their feet.

I think it's only fair that Doolan is considered first choice at the moment for the Pakistan tour but he still needs runs in the last shield game as most likely Hughes and Marsh will get two more Shield games to impress the selectors, and if either of those two make big runs then on form they should strongly be considered.

Lets not forget how close all three candidates were before the first test, and it was a toss of the coin whether Marsh or Doolan was dropped for the third test to fit in Watson.

Because of the time till we get to the UAE it would be great to see all the test incumbants and hopefulls do the old school thing and play a season of county cricket to maintain their form and get familiar with the conditions for the 2015 Ashes.

IF Marsh gets some runs in the shield I'd be quite tempted to bat him ahead of Doolan at 3 against Pakistan
Marsh is a very good batsman on slow wickets. I hope he makes runs in the Shield because I can't justify just taking him under a horses-for-courses policy but he'll do well on those pitches.

Yes that's what I think. It's just daft to get rid of players after 2 or 3 tests. It's a big step up from first class to test cricket, players need to find their feet.

Yes, Doolan is at least showing something. Looking decent, getting starts, doesn't look overawed. Those starts will turn into scores as he develops into a Test player further.

Marsh is a very good batsman on slow wickets. I hope he makes runs in the Shield because I can't justify just taking him under a horses-for-courses policy but he'll do well on those pitches.
Marsh got a pair on a slow wicket but a ton on a fast bouncy wicket in South Africa

Analysing which wickets Shaun Marsh may perform best on seems a little pointless...the guy must be one of the most erratic batsmen I've ever seen - after all, he did score his debut ton in SL.

The guys performances from game to game make no logical sense and are out of step with pretty much every other batsmen I've seen (even North seemed to do best when the score was 4/150+).

Flip of the coin between Doolan and Marsh ATM for mine.

Doolan for mine.
Looks like he could make a pretty good number 3 with a few more games under his belt.
Composed at the crease and doesn't look rushed.

Thought the make up of our XI at Cape Town was a very well balanced lineup and one I would like to see line up against Pakistan in October

Doolan for mine.
Looks like he could make a pretty good number 3 with a few more games under his belt.

Thought the make up of our XI at Cape Town was a very well balanced lineup and one I would like to see line up against Pakistan in October

How does he look like he could be a good number 3?

He doesn't even look like a good number 3 in Shield Cricket.

He is clearly not good enough for mine and should be discarded until he actually puts together a quality season of Shield Cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doolan for mine.

Will Doolan ever hit the mark though? Seems like a guy that'll have his average touch 40 the odd time but will generally be around 38

FWIW Hughes, Doolan and Marsh all got single figure scores in the shield today. Looks like all will get the chance to bat again though.

How does he look like he could be a good number 3?

He doesn't even look like a good number 3 in Shield Cricket.

He is clearly not good enough for mine and should be discarded until he actually puts together a quality season of Shield Cricket.

Of all the players that could be brought into the test side to play at number 3, Doolan for mine brings the most stability.
By that, I mean he looks the least likely to be part of a top order batting collapse.

I'd agree he isn't the best at taking the game away from the opposition when we're already in a strong position, but if for instance Warner goes out first over followed soon by Rogers, I'd give Doolan the best chance of grinding out 50 quality balls against fired up opening bowlers than Hughes, Khawaja, Marsh or just about any other batsmen currently playing Shield cricket that we haven't seen already.

I really do think people need to give him a chance. The truth is we don't have a world class batsmen capable of batting at 3 that can do it all (not already in the test side) until Travis Head or Chris Lynn maybe come through, so I believe the best thing for the side is to give a batsmen whom Lehmann thinks he can get the best out of an extended run in the test side at the number 3 position.

Of all the players that could be brought into the test side to play at number 3, Doolan for mine brings the most stability.
By that, I mean he looks the least likely to be part of a top order batting collapse.

I'd agree he isn't the best at taking the game away from the opposition when we're already in a strong position, but if for instance Warner goes out first over followed soon by Rogers, I'd give Doolan the best chance of grinding out 50 quality balls against fired up opening bowlers than Hughes, Khawaja, Marsh or just about any other batsmen currently playing Shield cricket that we haven't seen already.

I really do think people need to give him a chance. The truth is we don't have a world class batsmen capable of batting at 3 that can do it all (not already in the test side) until Travis Head or Chris Lynn maybe come through, so I believe the best thing for the side is to give a batsmen whom Lehmann thinks he can get the best out of an extended run in the test side at the number 3 position.

Rogers and Warner have been quite solid though recently and the number 3 has been coming in more often at 1/60+ rather than the usual 1/10.

When Doolan comes in he just brings everything down. The bowlers get a role on because they know they can just bowl at him and not have to worry about getting attacked at all. Suddenly he heaps pressure on the guy at the other end to start scoring. And he doesn't have the ability to take over the run scoring duty if and when his partner at the other end is dismissed.

His technique is ok in defence but when asked to attack his footwork is not sharp enough. He also has major issues with not going on with a start (which is basically just Watson V2.0, but without the ability to bowl).

Best to discard him now when there is an experienced core around that is winning and can nurture a young player, rather than stick with a guy that is clearly not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back