Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
The number of Western Australians demanding trades home is big and increasing, and I think it'll only continue to increase as the population boom of the past 15 years results in more WA footballers being produced. Freo and West Coast have a big recruitment advantage in that sense since there are only two clubs to divvy up the returning talent. Look at Freo's trade period this past year, and soon Tim Kelly will be adding to the numbers for either them or West Coast. So another reason I want a third team from Perth is to provide more competition for returnees. This new team should do reasonably well with the talent they can attract back, and we all know that success breeds crowds and support.
While WA puts more players into the player pool than it takes from it, the go home factor will always be a +.

Ita a good example of why the clubs in NSW & Q should have academies & a preferential deal to select the home grown talent.
IMHO the talent from WA, SA & Vic kids should go into the draft, only preference being for father/son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carringbush2010

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
As a Perth resident I don't see a "new" 3rd team getting off the ground. While the arguments for i:e population and economic growth are somewhat valid it's a bit of a stretch.

The only possible way would be for a WAFL club to be granted a licence, even then WC and Freo would lose some supporter base as the originals of the WAFL team would jump ship back to their original.

Also, a new franchise isn't going to magically attract a fan base from the current WC & Freo - that would be folly to believe so.

There's also been a little inflating of the argument around only two clubs competing for returning WA natives services making those clubs too much of a powerhouse.

Well that myth has been debunked previously in this thread not to mention that Vic still has more participants than any other state / territory also both current teams have non natives on their list - quite a few of them. If it was an issue that WA teams were to overrun the comp from a talent perspective it would have already happened.

Royalbeagle

Rookie
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think using 2 AL teams in Melbourne who never fill the rectangular stadium because the market isn't that big, is not a real good comparison. That against WCE who do fill a stadium of 60k, who have a waiting list, & in a city in which it seems a lot of kids don't get much chance to see AFL footy.

A bit more competition in Perth & more opportunity for kids to get to games, over time, must be good for the game. Surely
Maybe missed an opportunity to bring the SUBIACO Lions back to their original home at Subi Oval. Have been so dominant for so long now in the WAFL. Oh well, one can dream.

Royalbeagle

Rookie
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Couldn't be the Lions as AFL already has one ;)
I know - just dreaming of what could have been in a bygone era.

Unfortunately the nationalising of the VFL (as the ‘AFL’) had two objectives -

1) to prop up VFL suburban teams,
2) to irreversibly and permanently promote the profile of the VFL clubs above other 1st tier comps - the WAFL and SANFL.

This is why they only issued licences to new franchise style entities (WCE etc) and rejected others (East Perth, South Fremantle, Norwood etc...).
By doing this they strategically relegated the WAFL and SANFL clubs to second tier status without recourse. A real shame as these clubs had supporters, history, culture, achievement, and performance rivalling and on par with VFL clubs. A very shrewd move by the VFL power elite especially as the VFL’s non-viability was largely owing to their greedy talent grab of WA and SA players. It’s beyond shrewd (extremely arrogant one might say) that they contemporaneously recognise the achievements of VFL suburban clubs’ histories (for example, VFL clubs as past premiers back in the 19th century) and not the histories of WA and SA clubs. The average Victorian probably thinks we didn’t start playing footy until 1987!

Oh well, the AFL is what we’ve got and despite the franchise style structure with all the misused corporate style power exercised upon the game at large (it’s not ‘AFL’ it’s Australian Rules!!), I still watch it despite my angst. And to this end, I’ll back the Eagles to win more flags to equal the number held by the Carlton, Essendon, and Collingwoods of the world. Why? Because they’ve done it against the odds (travelling to and from - you guessed it - Victoria*) and have in recent times gone about it with relative humility.

kranger

Senior List
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
So I posted this in the WAFL board, but it seems relevant here too.

Previously I’ve been opposed to a third Perth AFL team for fear of what it might do to the WAFL sides. But I’ve had a recent change of heart.

Why not optimise the use of Optus Stadium and get another team playing AFL there. You could even close level 5 for a reduced operating cost and it reduces capacity to 40,000 bringing spectators closer together for better atmosphere.

The new AFL team would be based out of Joondalup Arena. Joondalup would cover Perth’s northern suburbs. It would also draw more AFL money into WA and our facilities instead of having AFL money going to support Victorian teams and therefore local Victorian jobs.

Fremantle would cover Perth’s southern suburbs. Eagles would cover Perth’s central suburbs. Which would also align with a north, central and south area used by WAFL teams.

Anyway, how would a third WA AFL team impact the structure of the WAFL.

Fremantle and the new Joondalup AFL side would be given stand alone WAFL teams as their reserves.

Claremont and Subiaco merge.

East Perth and Swan Districts merge.

And then Perth is split into 6 areas based off the 3 AFL areas. The North West, North East, Central West, Central East, South West and South East. Peel Thunder would continue to cover Mandurah separately.

West Perth represent North West and are based out of Joondalup Arena.

The merged Swan Districts/East Perth team are North East and play at Bassendean Oval.

Perth are based out of Lathlain Park and are Central East. They would also take most of Swan Districts current catchment area.

Whilst the merged Claremont/Subiaco team are Central West based at Claremont Oval.

East Fremantle are based out of Cockburn as South East.

With South Fremantle representing the South West from Fremantle Oval.

Then you just need to have some fun with the fixtures, but the Eagles, Dockers and Joondalup WAFL teams would have home games at Optus Stadium as curtain raisers to their relevant AFL team. Since the AFL teams wouldn’t have WAFL reserves or colts or women teams etc, i’m not sure what happens to those teams of the WAFL clubs. Perhaps pull up some local ametuer clubs to play a game.

The AFL clubs would bare the brunt of the costs for maintaining their training fields, giving a bit of a free ride for their co-tenant WAFL club.

Whilst the AFL clubs would have their pre-season games and their Womens teams play their games at the other oval in their area (ie Bassendean, Claremont and Fremantle Ovals), to help those fields develop into nice venues too.

And then the WAFC and state teams move into the WACA, perhaps also with a Friday night WAFL game of the week.

Just thought I would put it out there as an alternative idea, to consolidate WAFL players and costs to grow the strength of the administration.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
So I posted this in the WAFL board, but it seems relevant here too.

Previously I’ve been opposed to a third Perth AFL team for fear of what it might do to the WAFL sides. But I’ve had a recent change of heart.

Why not optimise the use of Optus Stadium and get another team playing AFL there. You could even close level 5 for a reduced operating cost and it reduces capacity to 40,000 bringing spectators closer together for better atmosphere.

The new AFL team would be based out of Joondalup Arena. Joondalup would cover Perth’s northern suburbs. It would also draw more AFL money into WA and our facilities instead of having AFL money going to support Victorian teams and therefore local Victorian jobs.

Fremantle would cover Perth’s southern suburbs. Eagles would cover Perth’s central suburbs. Which would also align with a north, central and south area used by WAFL teams.

Anyway, how would a third WA AFL team impact the structure of the WAFL.

Fremantle and the new Joondalup AFL side would be given stand alone WAFL teams as their reserves.

Claremont and Subiaco merge.

East Perth and Swan Districts merge.

And then Perth is split into 6 areas based off the 3 AFL areas. The North West, North East, Central West, Central East, South West and South East. Peel Thunder would continue to cover Mandurah separately.

West Perth represent North West and are based out of Joondalup Arena.

The merged Swan Districts/East Perth team are North East and play at Bassendean Oval.

Perth are based out of Lathlain Park and are Central East. They would also take most of Swan Districts current catchment area.

Whilst the merged Claremont/Subiaco team are Central West based at Claremont Oval.

East Fremantle are based out of Cockburn as South East.

With South Fremantle representing the South West from Fremantle Oval.

Then you just need to have some fun with the fixtures, but the Eagles, Dockers and Joondalup WAFL teams would have home games at Optus Stadium as curtain raisers to their relevant AFL team. Since the AFL teams wouldn’t have WAFL reserves or colts or women teams etc, i’m not sure what happens to those teams of the WAFL clubs. Perhaps pull up some local ametuer clubs to play a game.

The AFL clubs would bare the brunt of the costs for maintaining their training fields, giving a bit of a free ride for their co-tenant WAFL club.

Whilst the AFL clubs would have their pre-season games and their Womens teams play their games at the other oval in their area (ie Bassendean, Claremont and Fremantle Ovals), to help those fields develop into nice venues too.

And then the WAFC and state teams move into the WACA, perhaps also with a Friday night WAFL game of the week.

Just thought I would put it out there as an alternative idea, to consolidate WAFL players and costs to grow the strength of the administration.
You lost me at merge east Perth and swan districts

kranger

Senior List
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Interesting idea. What happens to Leederville Oval, does it just return to the community?
Yeah probably. Not really many better ideas. Except maybe to move Perth Heat into the City area so make it a baseball field. But still sell off Shark Park.

Well you could go with a 12 team WAFL comp. 9 WAFL clubs plus 3 AFL reserves teams.

Subiaco could be another North team, East Perth a central team and Peel could join the southern group. Would certainly ruffle less feathers.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I may not know WAFL very well, but I do know mergers & changes in clubs & the League. We've had a lot of those in both State league efforts. We've had a few in our state league's two forms over the journey. City-South & East Launceston into South Launceston. The Hobart & North Hobart effort. Also things like the Loss of Sandy Bay & then creating the Southern Cats as some sort of replacement. Lots of other clubs in & out & changes in name & colours.

The thing is, clubs have a 'place' in a community. They have a history. Trying to forcibly uproot, amalgamate, relocate a 'club' is very hard to do. In most cases it causes irreparable damage or is terminal.

Given that the WAFL is all about being an AFL reserves competition & development pathway, perhaps the best way is for the WAFL just to reform with the clubs it needs ( the best geographically, financially, & facility wise). The 'strongest' form the league, the others play in a lower competition. They retain their identity & location in community.

Thats really what should have happened with the VFL teams moving into the AFL. Instead we get a lot of dead wood in Melbourne that really never cut it & relly on the AFL for their very existence.

Top Bottom