The_Reaper

Hall of Famer
Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
A long line of incompetence and running away from their own heritage. Going off a sourced statement from Wikipedia, the WAFC deliberately tried to avoid any South or East Fremantle people being involved, because they wanted the club to appeal to people outside Fremantle too. This resulted in them being run by hockey players, politicians and Cameron Schwab, who you might recall had already been mediocre at Richmond. And as mentioned above, the coach and captain were from Claremont.

To this day I don't think they've had a single coach from South or East, and I think Bell is the first administrator to be from one of those clubs. And now they're based in Cockburn and chose to align with Peel Thunder over either South or East. So it seems to me they've never really had a big connection with the Fremantle identity outside of playing at Fremantle Oval. Ironically the Eagles probably had a bigger influence from South and East (John Todd, Worsfold, Mainwaring, Sumich, Matera, Jakovich).
Cockburn is smack bang in the middle of South Freo's zone. Its well and truly on the way of becoming the central hub of south metropolitan Perth.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
How did they go from the WA version of pies vs blues, to the WA version of North?
The Eagles got in first & the likes of Worsfold, Jako, Suma, the Matera brothers brought the culture with them.

As for the WA version of North, Freo have achieved more than the Ds, who are the ones bouncing along the bottom.

As an Eagles supporter I have been disappointed Freo havent been able to sustain success on field.

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
The Eagles got in first & the likes of Worsfold, Jako, Suma, the Matera brothers brought the culture with them.

As for the WA version of North, Freo have achieved more than the Ds, who are the ones bouncing along the bottom.

As an Eagles supporter I have been disappointed Freo havent been able to sustain success on field.
jokes aside, i thought they would kill it because they have a historic footy culture unlike the eagles.

both the eagles and crows however showed the power that comes with being set up as the "state" team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
set up as the "state" team
:thumbsu: sadly the uninformed see that as the State of Origin team.

Going first & wearing the expectation of success of a heartland footy State brings its own challenges & the Eagles have been up to it. Being in their shadow hasnt been easy for Freo & like any number of clubs they have battled.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
Interesting, but it isn't Fremantle, and there was never a big culture transfer from South (or East) Fremantle to the Dockers, that was my point.
That culture was already in the kids who formed the backbone of the Eagles early success, Woosha was captain of the 1985 U18 WA side, was a member of the first Eagles squad, won the 1988 eagles B&F & Jako played Origin footy whilst playing at South.
The role of Ron Alexander & his East Freo heritage should not be understated in his time at the Eagles.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
First up here is Perths estimated population for 2020-
Perth's 2020 population is now estimated at 2,041,959. In 1950, the population of Perth was 310,759. Perth has grown by 147,713 since 2015, which represents a 1.51% annual change.
Secondly -The Eagles are now reporting a membership of 100,000 odd putting them up with the giant of Victoria - Richmond.
We can only ponder how big they will get -Will they get too big or will market demand keep driving them up and it appears Optus constraints of 60,000 having no effect at all. I find that very interesting.
The Dockers are on about I think 60,000 so if they get to 100,000 is it time for a third club - Just speculating on the thread topic.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Eagles are now reporting a membership of 100,000 odd putting them up with the giant of Victoria - Richmond. We can only ponder how big they will get -Will they get too big or will market demand keep driving them up and it appears Optus constraints of 60,000 having no effect at all. I find that very interesting.The Dockers are on about I think 60,000 so if they get to 100,000 is it time for a third club - Just speculating on the thread topic.
That's the technical analysis, but what's wrong with having two resident AFL giants.
In the USA they're lucky if they even get the one NFL team despite having the population etc.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
First up here is Perths estimated population for 2020-
Perth's 2020 population is now estimated at 2,041,959. In 1950, the population of Perth was 310,759. Perth has grown by 147,713 since 2015, which represents a 1.51% annual change.
Secondly -The Eagles are now reporting a membership of 100,000 odd putting them up with the giant of Victoria - Richmond.
We can only ponder how big they will get -Will they get too big or will market demand keep driving them up and it appears Optus constraints of 60,000 having no effect at all. I find that very interesting.
The Dockers are on about I think 60,000 so if they get to 100,000 is it time for a third club - Just speculating on the thread topic.
Its the second biggest AF market in the world, it will have more than 2 teams at some point and it will be another money making venture in time for the WAFC.

I did hear yesterday that the mining conglomerates are pushing for FIFO workers to be all WA based - which in reality means Perth.

Another boom will come - and the population will rise substantially.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Its the second biggest AF market in the world, it will have more than 2 teams at some point and it will be another money making venture in time for the WAFC.

I did hear yesterday that the mining conglomerates are pushing for FIFO workers to be all WA based - which in reality means Perth.

Another boom will come - and the population will rise substantially.
Thats right and maybe those same workers and families and returning WA people are starting to move into Perth and its surrounds. Landlords renting property here are reporting up to a dozen people looking to rent each property and house sales on the increase.
The only thing keeping Perth Airport running is the FIFO flights up North each day, with 60,000 FIFO workers currently involved across the WA mines.
The Premier has been pushing this idea since the middle of the year and they must do the quarantine thing as well it seems.

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Thats right and maybe those same workers and families and returning WA people are starting to move into Perth and its surrounds. Landlords renting property here are reporting up to a dozen people looking to rent each property and house sales on the increase.
The only thing keeping Perth Airport running is the FIFO flights up North each day, with 60,000 FIFO workers currently involved across the WA mines.
The Premier has been pushing this idea since the middle of the year and they must do the quarantine thing as well it seems.
I have a daughter living up North ATM who had trouble renting her house at Yanchep - no such trouble now, so things change when you least expect them

Top Bottom