Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a whole generation of kids and young adults in perth who rarely if ever go to the footy. City of 2mill plus and the same 100k of people go to footy
Most fans of both clubs are tv watchers.

Need to get these people to become regular attendees and follow a new team they can go regularly to watch live and having an 80% open stadium with cheap tickets is the way to do it

There are a whole generation of kids and young adults in perth who rarely if ever go to the footy. City of 2mill plus and the same 100k of people go to footy

Need to get these people to become regular attendees and follow a new team they can go regularly to watch live and having an 80% open stadium with cheap tickets is the way to do it
There’s been plenty of spare seats at freo games especially this season and if people were desperate to see any love footy regardless of allegiance then you would think freo would be selling out games as well

There’s been plenty of spare seats at freo games especially this season and if people were desperate to see any love footy regardless of allegiance then you would think freo would be selling out games as well
The difference is Eagles fans who can't make it to games are probably not going to despise a new team as much as their hated derby rivals.

Arguably the more people who watch matches on TV the better for TV rights.

The difference is Eagles fans who can't make it to games are probably not going to despise a new team as much as their hated derby rivals.

If they are going to dump the eagles for some random new team they probably don't care enough about the club to care about rivals.

You'll be surprised at how eager casual West Coast supporters are to feel superior over anything new.

West Perth has had the Eagle shadow over it since the weekend when their reserves side bludgeoned the Falcons by 3 points in a low scoring affair.

A new club is another four points to get off a new little brother.

Arguably the more people who watch matches on TV the better for TV rights.
This is the sole reason for expansion of the game for the AFL, there aren't any eyes watching something other than footy who wouldn't be turned by a new team playing an already existing team on TV here in WA.

There are millions in NSW and QLD. There's billions of dollars to be made there and a hundred million to spend in WA for another team over five years for little to no gain.

How much are those empty seats tho?

They should target a Northern Territory team instead of a third WA club.

A 3rd WA club is not the same conversation as NT or even Tas.

There is demand for the footy, particularly from Eagles fans & Billy Ray articulates a widely held view:

IF the AFL ever chose to look at the supply & demand view of AFL footy, it would have a good look at demand in both Adelaide & Perth, whilst it has addressed the oversupply in Melbourne moving games out of that market to Tas, NT & NQ, plus is playing games in Ballarat & more down at Geelong.

Time for a bit of courage from the AFL to address Billy rays concerns.

A 3rd WA club is not the same conversation as NT or even Tas.

There is demand for the footy, particularly from Eagles fans & Billy Ray articulates a widely held view:

IF the AFL ever chose to look at the supply & demand view of AFL footy, it would have a good look at demand in both Adelaide & Perth, whilst it has addressed the oversupply in Melbourne moving games out of that market to Tas, NT & NQ, plus is playing games in Ballarat & more down at Geelong.

Time for a bit of courage from the AFL to address Billy rays concerns.
There is demand for footy from Eagles fans. However, there is Freo available which still has capacity for more supporters, despite this, Eagles fans are not switching.

I don't know why people think Eagles fans would switch for a third team, when a second team has been available for years.

The only way 3 teams works would have been to set up 2 Perth teams from the start, then add Freo. That boat has sailed.

A third Perth team now will make GCS look good imop.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there is Freo available which still has capacity for more supporters, despite this, Eagles fans are not switching.

I think Billy rays concern is more about the game than who people support - when I read of people not being able to get to an AFL game I do wonder if its really about being able to see their team.
As a kid in the 50s my father took us to games that didnt involve our team (Subi), perhaps that different to others.

Even if you wanted to see the Eagles attending a lower ranking game looks achievable.

Any GA fans here?

I used to live in tapping and I can’t say I had a burning desire to have a team representing us. Hell im a districts supporter even though I lived up there

There is demand for footy from Eagles fans. However, there is Freo available which still has capacity for more supporters, despite this, Eagles fans are not switching.

I don't know why people think Eagles fans would switch for a third team, when a second team has been available for years.

The only way 3 teams works would have been to set up 2 Perth teams from the start, then add Freo. That boat has sailed.

A third Perth team now will make GCS look good imop.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Starting a new franchise I agree with you, why would anyone swap. Put a Great WAFL club in and it would have a chance at success. I can't speak for others but if West perth became the third club out of Joondalup I would drop my 27 year membership at the Eagles in an instance. That would only be if West Perth and their history were the club, if they started a new club called Joondalup I would not be interested.
The question would then be how many people over 40 years of age that grew up on the WAFL and supported West perth would then go back to their club? Could younger people who have no affiliation to the WAFL grab on to a WAFL club if it was to be the club?

I don't think it will happen in Perth, not because I don't think it shouldn't but more because the Eagles and Dockers won't want it to. They have their cash cows all stitched up and won't want any of that big pie being shared with anyone.

I don't think it will happen in Perth, not because I don't think it shouldn't but more because the Eagles and Dockers won't want it to. They have their cash cows all stitched up and won't want any of that big pie being shared with anyone.

As it was in 1986, why would a Subi supporter adopt West Perth - would you adopt another WAFL club?

The cash cow stuff, hope you dont hang your hat on that.

As it was in 1986, why would a Subi supporter adopt West Perth - would you adopt another WAFL club?

The cash cow stuff, hope you dont hang your hat on that.

They wouldn't need to support West perth in that circumstance. It would just be a matter of how many actual West Perth supporters are really out there now? There might be 10-20k of them but they now support the Eagles or Dockers or another AFL side? Who Knows

You don't think our two AFL clubs are sitting on a money Pit? We pay more for membership than any other club in the league for no reason what so ever. They would still make a fortune charging $350 for an 11 game package.

Starting a new franchise I agree with you, why would anyone swap. Put a Great WAFL club in and it would have a chance at success. I can't speak for others but if West perth became the third club out of Joondalup I would drop my 27 year membership at the Eagles in an instance. That would only be if West Perth and their history were the club, if they started a new club called Joondalup I would not be interested.
The question would then be how many people over 40 years of age that grew up on the WAFL and supported West perth would then go back to their club? Could younger people who have no affiliation to the WAFL grab on to a WAFL club if it was to be the club?

By the time the TV rights deal expires, someone who was 14 when the Eagles were established will be 50.

The WAFL support will not be sufficient to make a viable AFL club

By the time the TV rights deal expires, someone who was 14 when the Eagles were established will be 50.

The WAFL support will not be sufficient to make a viable AFL club

Subi won the 1986 flag & it was obvious to me/my family our mob werent the vehicle for the national comp - there were a couple of blokes at bar of the footy club who were dreaming of ... Eagles fans these days.

Code:
New York 23,876,155
Istanbul 15,029,231
London   14,187,146
Perth     2,059,484

Not that i think there should be a WA3, but for more of an equal comparison to the australian sporting landscape:

9 AFL team - Melbourne 4.9m
9 NRL team - Sydney 5.2m
3 A-league - in both Sydney and Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back