Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to Joondalup for the first time for the pre season derby on Saturday.
All I saw was a big shopping center there.The population in the area might be rising, but I don't see how it's Perth metro's next big thing yet.

That's correct. The government planning didn't allow for a separation belt. So Joondalup and Armadale are just suburbs of Perth in the same way that the historic city of Parramatta has just become a suburb of Sydney.
Its doesn't matter because itself doesn't compete with the various shopping malls.
Perth could have been revived if they'd built the new stadium within the CBD.

I went to Joondalup for the first time for the pre season derby on Saturday.

All I saw was a big shopping center there.

The population in the area might be rising, but I don't see how it's Perth metro's next big thing yet.

It's not. It's far too poorly designed to be anything other than general Perth suburbia. May as well put a team in Whitfords, Currambine or Wanneroo.

Parramatta isn't a great comparison, because it's actually a serious commercial centre on it's own. Joondalup is a shopping centre and some light commercial. No different to a number of areas in Perth, like Willetton, Belmont or Midland. But at least Midland has some identity.

It's not. It's far too poorly designed to be anything other than general Perth suburbia. May as well put a team in Whitfords, Currambine or Wanneroo.

Parramatta isn't a great comparison, because it's actually a serious commercial centre on it's own. Joondalup is a shopping centre and some light commercial. No different to a number of areas in Perth, like Willetton, Belmont or Midland. But at least Midland has some identity.
They cooked the idea of Joondalup as a city as soon as the urban sprawl was the model they went with rather than make a "Perth" Zoning and strictly differentiate between the two.

It's not. It's far too poorly designed to be anything other than general Perth suburbia. .

It is poorly designed, yes, but it does have a regional hospital, commercial centre and university.
Properly designed and delineated from Perth it could have been a distinct city.

Parramatta isn't a great comparison, because it's actually a serious commercial centre on it's own.

Sydney is full of sub-cities now. Parramatta in different fro Chatswood, Bondi Junction, Randwick, Maroubra to name just a few.

They cooked the idea of Joondalup as a city as soon as the urban sprawl was the model they went with rather than make a "Perth" Zoning and strictly differentiate between the two.
Could Ellenbrook eventually become a separate city in the sense Joondalup could have been? Looking at the map there seems to be some level of separation at present.

Could Ellenbrook eventually become a separate city in the sense Joondalup could have been? Looking at the map there seems to be some level of separation at present.
It’s taken decades for the riff raff in Ellenbrook to get a train line. No way are they set to become a city. Bullsbrook/muchea more likely than Ellenbrook

Finally a WC fan admits they're a soulless franchise

Close down the franchise, promote 2 WAFL clubs, distributing the players, assets, etc. of the ex-franchise between them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a third team came in, then it must be Perth.

Combine three colours of Perth teams red,black and blue.

Make it a generic team like West Coast and don’t based it away. Just say they represent Perth as a city.

Perth Panthers sounds good.

I'm confused, is development based on how quickly a place gets a train line? I didn't think Bullsbrook or Muchea had any stations.
Currently the State Government is on a big new Railway Lines program.
These are--
1/ The new Thornlie to Cockburn Central (3 Stations)which will connect to the Perth Central to Mandurah Line.
2/ The new Perth Central to Ellenbrook (6 Stations) which will replace Bus Service. Will run up the middle of the Tonkin Highway North from the river then branch east to Ellenbrook.
3/ The last extension of the Perth Central to Yanchep(3/4 Stations?) This line runs up the middle of the Mitchell Freeway. The freeway is slowly winding its way North to Yanchep and will reach there in future years after the railway.
Seeing I am a railway buff and very pleased with with this -- The trains for above will be built in Midland at a brand new Rail Assy Complex at Midland now under construction. Lots of new technical jobs.
All that plus a big new roads program all over the State.
We as in Perth will be an exact replica of Los Angeles = North - South Spine from Yanchep to Mandurah.
And OH I nearly forgot - There will be a State Election next March with all of the projects well underway.
Well off topic but will illustrate where people may live in future years as regarding 3rd team.

These are--
1/ The new Thornlie to Cockburn Central (3 Stations)which will connect to the Perth Central to Mandurah Line.
2/ The new Perth Central to Ellenbrook (6 Stations) which will replace Bus Service. Will run up the middle of the Tonkin Highway North from the river then branch east to Ellenbrook.
3/ The last extension of the Perth Central to Yanchep(3/4 Stations?) This line runs up the middle of the Mitchell Freeway. The freeway is slowly winding its way North to Yanchep and will reach there in future years after the railway.
Seeing I am a railway buff and very pleased with with this -- The trains for above will be built in Midland at a brand new Rail Assy Complex at Midland now under construction. Lots of new technical jobs.
We as in Perth will be an exact replica of Los Angeles = North - South Spine from Yanchep to Mandurah.
And OH I nearly forgot - There will be a State Election next March with all of the projects well underway.
Well off topic but will illustrate where people may live in future years as regarding 3rd team.
Yep the new railway lines factored into my thinking, specifically the Ellenbrook line. I notice the population in Ellenbrook has shot up to 45 000, and is growing much faster than the rest of Perth. If the railway line helps it grow even faster, we're looking at a serious population, maybe enough for a third team one day. So long as they preserve the green belt separating Ellenbrook from the rest of Perth, maybe it can have its own identity, unlike Joondalup.

So long as they preserve the green belt separating Ellenbrook from the rest of Perth, maybe it can have its own identity, unlike Joondalup.

Yes, Joondalup and Armidale could have been true satellite cities with a green belt.
The same thing happened to the historical city of Parramatta, now just a suburb of Sydney.

These are--

off topic, but i did read something a few months ago about rail gauge and how it came to be 4 feet, 8.5 inches - very interesting

* Romans invaded England and the chariot or transport wagon width between axels was that distance
* Romans built the roads and over a period of time the chariots made ruts in the road that width
* easier and smoother to travel in the ruts, English wagon makers also made axle width that distance
* when horse drawn trams came in they covered up the ruts with the tracks
* when trains came in they did the same thing
* when English Engineers headed around the world to USA, South Africa, India Australia ETC they took that measurement with them

Ancient Roman units of length
passuspace
5 pedes​
1.48 m​
4.854 ft​

How wide was a Roman chariot?
Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. The United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. And bureaucracies live forever.

BTW IMO covid has put this years back, but Perth could and should support a third team, to bring prices down and open the game up to as many people as possible.

off topic, but i did read something a few months ago about rail gauge and how it came to be 4 feet, 8.5 inches - very interesting

* Romans invaded England and the chariot or transport wagon width between axels was that distance
* Romans built the roads and over a period of time the chariots made ruts in the road that width
* easier and smoother to travel in the ruts, English wagon makers also made axle width that distance
* when English Engineers headed around the world to USA, South Africa, India Australia ETC they took that measurement with them

passuspace
5 pedes​
1.48 m​
4.854 ft​

Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. The United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. And bureaucracies live forever.

BTW IMO covid has put this years back, but Perth could and should support a third team, to bring prices down and open the game up to as many people as possible.
Still off topic - Sort of - It was announced yesterday that the WA Footy Commission sacking 40 people.
This is probably the reason. The usual salary Empire Building that occurs everywhere in the world.

passuspace
5 pedes​
1.48 m​
4.854 ft​

Not in Victoria!!!! Viva la broad gauge!!!!

Still off topic - Sort of - It was announced yesterday that the WA Footy Commission sacking 40 people.
This is probably the reason. The usual salary Empire Building that occurs everywhere in the world.

IMHO, the Commission itself needs to be asking the hard questions of the CEO. It is not good enough to accept the administrations recommendations.
It is equally true of the AFL admin.
Unfortunately very few (if any) footy journos are willing or able to go there.

As owner of the Dockers & Eagles the WAFC should demand a similar discipline of club spending.

IMHO, the Commission itself needs to be asking the hard questions of the CEO. It is not good enough to accept the administrations recommendations.
It is equally true of the AFL admin.
Unfortunately very few (if any) footy journos are willing or able to go there.

As owner of the Dockers & Eagles the WAFC should demand a similar discipline of club spending.

"The WAFC received $11.2 million from the State Government last year as part of its annual funding agreement "

Wasn't this a settlement on giving up the lease on Subiaco and moving to Perth Stadium?

Also, I am not really sure that have 4 people on salaries over $200K is that extraordinary for an organisation the size of the WAFC

passuspace
5 pedes​
1.48 m​
4.854 ft​

Saw an extended version of this.

Not sure if it's true, but it should be.

Shuttle ticket boosters had to be transported by rail. So theyre size was dictated by the size of the rail tunnels.

Rail tunnels were dictated by the size of the trains.

Train size was determined by the gauge they ran on.

Then on as you said.

So shuttle rocket boosters dimensions were dictated by the size of the arses of Roman horses.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

"The WAFC received $11.2 million from the State Government last year as part of its annual funding agreement "

Wasn't this a settlement on giving up the lease on Subiaco and moving to Perth Stadium?

Also, I am not really sure that have 4 people on salaries over $200K is that extraordinary for an organisation the size of the WAFC

Your quote, where did you get it from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back