No Oppo Supporters Jack Watts - Traded to PA for pick 31, Thanks Jack

Jack Watts?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, one year ends & another starts but one thing will always remain consistent:

And that is that the most polarising & criticised player the MFC has ever drafted will continue to cause abundant discussion amongst the MFC faithful.

I know its almost impossible to keep all #JackWatts discussion here, as any mention of his name derails a thread into a debate about him, but if you do have anything to discuss re Jack please endeavor to bring it here.

I'd suggest that some of his biggest supporters & detractors make their BF signature a link to this thread. Trust me, it'll save you time.

The 2013/2014 incarnation for posterity.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif
jN43LJU.gif
jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif

/Wonna

Last season was the litmus test for Jack. It was an injury-free year, with a good pre-season behind him, a new coach who had a reputation for getting the best out of players.

The result? He was OK, but it was no breakout year. Far from it.

I'm convinced he'll never be more than the soft, skilled inconsistent floater that he currently is. That doesn't mean he has no future in the game, but it's easy to predict how his 2015 and how this thread will pan out.

If he can somehow learn hunger and desperation, and to put his head over the ball and body on the line - I'll be very happy.

if he can come into his own, I can't see it happening until he's around 26/27 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But seriously I've given up on the hope of expecting a huge AA worthy breakout year for JW. Just a consistent, competitive year will do. 20 disposals, 1 goal a game. Improved tackle and competitive ball count. Maintain high DE. More time spent on the ball and up forward than hiding behind the play.

I don't really get all the negative stuff about him. He's not a crash and bang player, which is fine with me. We (should) have other players that play that role. Yes, he could be more physical and I hope he develops a bit in that area but a start would be playing him in the forward line for the whole year. Getting shifted about sometimes in 3 different positions in one game isn't helping him. If you're going to make him a swing man, make him a swing man and be done with it. Otherwise, he's a forward with the best kick in our team. Bar none.

No matter how disappointing Jack is, I'll always blame Neeld for mismanaging him at the start of his career.

In all seriousness, I thought Jack improved a little last year, and if he can improve a little more this year and the year after he'll be a solid player. You don't need every player to attack the ball like Viney. Jack is one of our most skillful players and if we could play him permanently up forward I think we'll see the best out of him. Good luck Jack!

I don't really get all the negative stuff about him. He's not a crash and bang player, which is fine with me. We (should) have other players that play that role. Yes, he could be more physical and I hope he develops a bit in that area but a start would be playing him in the forward line for the whole year. Getting shifted about sometimes in 3 different positions in one game isn't helping him. If you're going to make him a swing man, make him a swing man and be done with it. Otherwise, he's a forward with the best kick in our team. Bar none.

If you kick to him in a one on one contest likelihood is the ball will be rebounded , that's the critisicm
The second is that he also goes to ground often in a one on one contest
Aaron Davey wasn't a contested beast but he rarely went to groun when being tackled in his prime ( mostly due to his evasive skills )
Jack has those skills but chooses not to use them far too often making him vulnerable to pressure

No matter how disappointing Jack is, I'll always blame Neeld for mismanaging him at the start of his career.

In all seriousness, I thought Jack improved a little last year, and if he can improve a little more this year and the year after he'll be a solid player. You don't need every player to attack the ball like Viney. Jack is one of our most skillful players and if we could play him permanently up forward I think we'll see the best out of him. Good luck Jack!

He could attack it like , Howe or Jetta or bail or any numerous other best 22 players

The point is he is a liability , this whole he doesn't have to be ferocious is a get out clause , he just has to not let his team mates down with efforts

He could attack it like , Howe or Jetta or bail or any numerous other best 22 players

The point is he is a liability , this whole he doesn't have to be ferocious is a get out clause , he just has to not let his team mates down with efforts
But if we treated everyone else the same way that JW is treated, there'd be 1/3 of a team left, if that. Fact is, he actually has some skills that he uses when given the opportunity. Yes, he will be out-bodied in a 1v1 contest most of the time. Deal with it by kicking him the ball when he leads, not waiting 20 seconds until he has someone on him? I see this multiple times every game. Not every player will win the 1v1 contest every time. I agree he goes to ground pretty easily though

But if we treated everyone else the same way that JW is treated, there'd be 1/3 of a team left, if that. Fact is, he actually has some skills that he uses when given the opportunity. Yes, he will be out-bodied in a 1v1 contest most of the time. Deal with it by kicking him the ball when he leads, not waiting 20 seconds until he has someone on him? I see this multiple times every game. Not every player will win the 1v1 contest every time. I agree he goes to ground pretty easily though

There is no doubt he gets over scrutinized and yep he should be kicked to on the lead
But when it doesn't come perfectly he still needs to find a way to help the team

Jeremy Howe copped critisicm in the other thread and other players have had to deal with it
Because if he finishes his career as on ok player he should be ashamed ( maybe too harsh, dissappointed) because he has the tools to be better than an ok player
Dom Tyson is younger than Jack Watts yet a supremely better player , jack has the spatial awareness of Dom, he has the sidestep and agility and he has the vision
He doesn't have the confidence to use any of it , plus he has height , better marking and better kicking plus is probably quicker

Brendan McCartney has got a huge mission to rebuild jack watts the footballer

The one stat he comfortably wins is ignored leads, and when they are honored the ball is either short, over his head or they sit it up on his head making it easy to spoil. He will be a better player when among team mates who deliver the ball accurately and quickly.
If he is not a physical player now it is doubtful he will ever be, isn't the first highly skilled player to be that and will not be the last.
He can still be a productive player who is certainly best 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back