Past Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

He hasn't been a bust and no one is saying that he is, but he is playing out of his skin at the moment and seems to have found another gear. Some people are (rightfully, in my opinion) questioning why he hasn't ALWAYS played to this level.
Several reasons I'd suggest. Ranging from being played in the wrong position to only really playing under a modern manager for the first time this season. I wonder if his young man is helping his footy as well. Might make him more balanced away from footy? Hard to say without knowing the guy.

Either way, not much point lamenting the past with Bryce - he's set the benchmark of what we now expect and we'll hopefully see him get there or thereabouts most weeks.

He hasn't been a bust and no one is saying that he is, but he is playing out of his skin at the moment and seems to have found another gear. Some people are (rightfully, in my opinion) questioning why he hasn't ALWAYS played to this level.
It may well be that since 2014, when he won his B&F, & discounting his injury & suspension marred 2015, that he has finally reached the best years of his career & may well be showing this type of form for the next 3-4 years.

It wasn't that long ago that Luke Hodge was seen to have underachieved when compared to the likes of Judd & GAJ, yet for the last 4-5 years he has been rated among the best in the competition. It should always be kept in mind that players are going to mature/peak at different times to their peers.

It may well be that since 2014, when he won his B&F, & discounting his injury & suspension marred 2015, that he has finally reached the best years of his career & may well be showing this type of form for the next 3-4 years.

It wasn't that long ago that Luke Hodge was seen to have underachieved when compared to the likes of Judd & GAJ, yet for the last 4-5 years he has been rated among the best in the competition. It should always be kept in mind that players are going to mature/peak at different times to their peers.
Same with Jordan Lewis?

I may be wrong... but didn't Lewis peak pretty late in his career too?

I think its easy to underestimate gibbs. He is a real student of the game. He has the utmost respect for the coach and leadership group, and for me has always played a very unselfish role. The ability to follow coaches instructions to the letter has been to his detriment or so it has been perceived. .
Now under bb he is being used as an extension of the coaching group and he is thriving. As probably one of the smartest players, he is indispensable on field, and he showed this when murph and sumner went down. He instantly recognised that his role had to change and he played it to perfection.
His size is not fyfe or cripp esque but he is about the same as judd so a good size.
Lets get behind him and recognise his efforts. Hopefully we will see a medal hanging around his neck come years end.

I think so, yes. Gibbsy has really stepped up and silenced the critics (myself included). But I think Bolts deserves a bit of credit for his form as well. He's got the best out of a lot of players and to be able to do it with Gibbs has been a huge bonus for us.

Hopefully Bryce doesn't look back now and has his best footy ahead of him, for some reason I've always felt that he's had confidence issues but now he seems really confident in his game. He's also been harder at the contest then I've seen him in the past. It was always needed for him to excel and to see him do that now really goes to show how important it was.

Should all the people saying we should trade him be crucified now? I don't think so. With the form he's shown now at what 28 years of age? I think it was more than understandable that supporters were frustrated. We all knew he was capable of much more. Great for Bryce and the club that he's finally showing us what he can do on a consistent basis.

Why he hasn't?

Because past coaches have asked him to keep a bloke quiet on half back and provide some drive.

They did this for years.

What the coaches should have been asking for is get in the middle and win us a game of football. Right from the start.

I have no doubt if he was CHALLENGED. Bryce would have met it and become an elite midfielder within the first 5 years, rather than now when he is 28. Bryce was the ultimate team player, a gun who did what the coach asked every step of the way.

Too much logic. Agree with all of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back