Past Dan Hannebery - traded 2018, to St Kilda for packet of Samboys (BBQ)

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I can't add up, the rumour is St Kilda will offer Hanners 800k per year, but he's only worth a future second rounder to them? They clearly rate him high so I fail to see why they wouldn't offer more

Just anchoring I would have thought.

Swans have probably said pick 4 or 5 (or whatever it’ll be), Saints say future 2nd (because they don’t a 2018 second). Deal gets done somewhere between these two points (if they agree on it of course).

so how about the title as

4- Dan Hannebery- may have requested a trade, was rumoured for a while, maybe Sydney want him gone, both sides may look at it, but we are waiting to see what happens, and we all have different ideas of his value.
Probably could add a picture of him shrugging his shoulders...that might work you think?

whys it have to be stkilda?

anyone else interested?

Doesn’t from my point of view. I was just responding to the post.

If it is an open ended “we will see what is out there” hopefully a few suitors do come forward as it might help us with trade value.

Either way I suspect that would already be known by Hannebery. When Saints jumped on the media to declare their interest in a contracted player still playing out his season, any other club that might have had some interest would have almost certainly made contact with his management.

Probably could add a picture of him shrugging his shoulders...that might work you think?

and a thought bubble with him picturing Easton wood taking his legs out and a question mark near it

Just anchoring I would have thought.

Swans have probably said pick 4 or 5 (or whatever it’ll be), Saints say future 2nd (because they don’t a 2018 second). Deal gets done somewhere between these two points (if they agree on it of course).
I liked yesterday’s better, swap of first rounders and swap of Hannebery & Acres (or anyone else we identify). We must make them pay for him!

Hanners for for the last couple of years make him worth pretty much a set of steak knives
Saints want some experienced heads from good systems so hopefully they give us overs. Having Hanners salary off our books is going to help

Rohan... That trade will be interesting. Maybe a 3 club trade of some type

lloyd... We only have 2 AA players... I'd like to see us keep him

Hanners for for the last couple of years make him worth pretty much a set of steak knives
Saints want some experienced heads from good systems so hopefully they give us overs. Having Hanners salary off our books is going to help

Rohan... That trade will be interesting. Maybe a 3 club trade of some type

lloyd... We only have 2 AA players... I'd like to see us keep him

2 AA's? Buddy and Aliir?

I’ve heard that that’s not the case, the article I posted last night stated they are all open to the idea. I believe the situation is ‘more awareness of each party’s situation’. Saints are still coming hard at him. Every possibility that it may not occur as Hannebery is happy. From my mate (sources best mate) but I’d prefer to hear from source them self.

What do you know, it’s almost as if I was in the room!:think:

Finally some good news.

I really miss our trademark elite midfield - the likes of: Brett Kirk; Jude Bolton; Goodes; Stuart Maxfield; Paul Kelly; an in-form Kennedy. Hopefully, with these 2 off the roster, we can find players to recapture our trademark midfield aggression and quality.

Last edited:
One thing I can't add up, the rumour is St Kilda will offer Hanners 800k per year, but he's only worth a future second rounder to them? They clearly rate him high so I fail to see why they wouldn't offer more
Hope you don't mind an interloper theorising, the high salary is a contributing factor to value. Players with high salaries and longer contracts have been traded for below value because it's expensive to pay a contract out, the salary cap penalties are scary and clubs need room if they want to bring in players. It's like the Dempster-Schneider trade, the salary cap relief the Swans received was part of the reason both these players were traded for a second round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you don't mind an interloper theorising, the high salary is a contributing factor to value. Players with high salaries and longer contracts have been traded for below value because it's expensive to pay a contract out, the salary cap penalties are scary and clubs need room if they want to bring in players. It's like the Dempster-Schneider trade, the salary cap relief the Swans received was part of the reason both these players were traded for a second round pick.

yep saints taking a big risk
Will mean Sydney take little back compared to his peak value

But the Saints are not just matching the contract, you're offering a longer one. If the Saints think this is a risk they have terrible judgement.

I'll really miss Hanners. There are countless times he's put his body on the line or run himself into the ground when it's counted the most. Whatever happens during the trade period, I'll always remember him as one of the most loyal and passionate players on our list. He's bled red and white since day one. I hope for his sake he can turn his footy around and get back to something close to his best.

Guy grabbed his jumper and showed the supporters what it meant to him in 2012.

Losing a guy that has shown a lot of heart but things change as time goes on.

Great servant but has that horrible feel of guys seeing the cracks and moving on. We may go down the ladder but hopefully for only a year before getting back that true spirit. Real changing of the guard losing Hanners he has been great.

I'll really miss Hanners. There are countless times he's put his body on the line or run himself into the ground when it's counted the most. Whatever happens during the trade period, I'll always remember him as one of the most loyal and passionate players on our list. He's bled red and white since day one. I hope for his sake he can turn his footy around and get back to something close to his best.

What I will miss is the amount of times he would absolutely get crunched, and you'd think 'ohhh that looked really bad' ... and then you would realise it was Hanners and think 'ahhh he will be fine after 10 mins'.

The sad thing is that the last time I remember thinking that was the 2016 Grand Final where Wood took his legs out (no free kick). I remember thinking, that looked really bad but its Hanners so he will be okay. And the reality is he was never okay ... ever again ... :( ... .............. I have something in my eye.

I completely agree. Very sad to see him go. The moment I'll always remember most is that team lifting goal in the last quarter of the 2012 grand final that provided the spark we needed to win.

Finally some good news.

I really miss our trademark elite midfield - the likes of: Brett Kirk; Jude Bolton; Goodes; Stuart Maxfield; Paul Kelly; an in-form Kennedy. Hopefully, with these 2 off the roster, we can find players to recapture our trademark midfield aggression and quality.

That was not our trademark midfield. For all the worshipping we do of those blokes, and rightfully so, it was the group we've had now that got us to a flag, and not one, not two, but three grand finals. Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker, Jack. They are the names who have been our most successful midfield group and I suspect it's nothing more than nostalgia for the old guard that makes us forget that.

Yeah...you keep telling yourself that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back