Past #4: Daniel Harris - 149 games for NMFC - delisted end '09 - 11 games for GCFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Best-laid plans...
EMMA QUAYLE
April 10, 2010
DON'T worry, Daniel Harris told himself. Yes, North Melbourne had just told him he wouldn't be re-signed. Yes, he had recently turned 27. True, no other club seemed to need him. But Harris could still play football, for Coburg. He had a landscaping business almost ready to launch. He had two small children who didn't care which team he played for, and a wife who would get to see more of him. He was fine. Everything would be all right.

Then, suddenly, things were better than all right. Harris was at home, on the couch, convincing himself that careers don't always have to end well, when his phone rang. ''How would you feel,'' wondered the midfielder's manager, ''about going to the Gold Coast''? and the next thing Harris knew he was on the Gold Coast, at a coffee shop with coach Guy McKenna.

When he heard the new club was interested in him, Harris was surprised, and ecstatic. ''It was better news than I could have ever hoped for,'' he said. ''I never thought they'd be looking for guys my age.''

After meeting with McKenna and recruiting manager Scott Clayton, he no longer felt like football didn't want him any more.

''When I went back home I had such a good feeling from that meeting, just from the way we were talking,'' he said. ''The way they spoke to me, and the things they asked me, made me feel like I was almost a part of the club already. It just made me feel really good.''

In the second week of December, it became official: after 149 games, Harris was the first player chosen in last year's rookie draft. The next week, as Christmas loomed, he was in Queensland, with checklist. ''I needed to find a house, find a car and find a childcare place for the kids within one week, or else I was going to be in trouble.''

Harris' children, Sam, 2, and Lila, 10 months, did not have friends and schools to leave. But his wife, Adele, had just begun a nursing job, needed to find somewhere to work, and had adjusted her own life, he said, for him. ''She's pretty much put everything she wants to do on hold so that I can keep playing footy, keep chasing my dream,'' said Harris, who signed a two-year contract with the Gold Coast.

''She's really close to her parents, and she hasn't been able to walk into a footy club filled with people, filled with friends like I have. I'm really lucky that she just said, 'Yep, let's do it, let's go'. She's been really supportive. I'm really happy right now and a lot of that's because she's happy up here too.''

Harris didn't necessarily enjoy his last two years at North Melbourne - spending much of the season in the VFL will do that to you - but he wasn't too surprised when told his time there was up, and not in any way angry.

Before he moved to Queensland, he took Sam in for a look around the Kangaroos new facilities he won't get to use. Funnily enough, he is living in a place he didn't want to move to when it looked like North would be headed north, and working out of portables.

''It's funny how it's worked out, but I'm just glad it's worked out,'' he said. ''People talked about there being a rift between me and Dean Laidley, but that wasn't the case. I think what sometimes happens is that people just can't find a way to get the best out of each other. It happens all the time, to lots of people.

''I was 25 or 26, I wanted to be a better player and to improve on what I was doing, and I knew the supporters and everyone around the club wanted me to do that too. It didn't really happen, and sometimes people just need a change to get that out of themselves. I'm hoping that's what I can do now.''

The thought that his 150th game is still a season away feels a little odd, but Harris just wants to play football. He wondered, before signing, whether he would be walking into a group of teenage heroes with egos to match their talent, but has found the Gold Coast boys to be anything but cocky.

In fact, they have been inquisitive, not afraid to admit their innocence. He's also found them to be ''good''. Training has been sharp since he moved up for good after Christmas, and it has only become faster, and more skilful. ''It's actually given me some confidence, in a way, because they ask questions all the time, they want to know everything I can tell them,'' he said.

''They also call me Pop, which isn't so good, but they've been filled with questions and I've sort of found that nice. At North Melbourne, I was never really needed like that, I suppose, so it's been a bit of a surprise to have it happen.

''We had Drew Petrie, Adam Simpson, Brent Harvey, and you don't really need anyone else after guys like that, they're so good. So the young guys didn't ever really ask me questions, but up here I've been a bit more useful like that, they've been asking me all sorts of things.

''I knew I'd be coming up here as an experienced player, but that's surprised me a bit. It's been good, but it was important to me as well that I didn't go somewhere that was going to be a fair way off, that was going to take ages to get going and win games.

''These kids are really good. I came up wanting to play finals again before my time's up, and I think we will. I think we'll be a good team. Even in the last two weeks, training's gone up another level, because now all these guys are realising how much they want a game. I can't wait to see where they're at in another 12 months. It's not really all that far away.''

Harro is a good bloke, a bit rough to be shown the door but he really didn't take the bull by the horns. I wish him the best of luck with the Coasters.

Was really upset when we dropped Harro, good to see he's doing well for himself, cant wait to see him pull on an AFL jersey again, regardless of what team log is emblazoned on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality bloke who'll always be well regarded around Arden St, especially by the supporters. His speech at the Syd Barker Medal night was extremely touching and said it all..........classy bloke from start to finish :thumbsu:

All the very best to Harro. I loved him at the Roos.

Hopefully manages to get a few games with GC! We'll all be watching and cheering him on! I don't mind him playing up there, would have been spewing had he gone to Collingwood though.

Harro joins us this week to reflect on his move to the Gold Coast, and his time at North.
Clearly still loves the club, said he hoped his son one day could play for North.
Also joined by Mark Dickenson, who tells us about the inspiration for his piece on the club website about how he feels about North Melbourne.
Also, another Denham Award for Media Cretinry nomination...no prizes for guessing this week's nominee...
Kangas Corner can be streamed at 12.30pm (Melb time) on Saturday at www.sportfm.com.au, or picked up in Perth live at 10.30am on 91.3 FM.

Clearly still loves the club, said he hoped his son one day could play for North.

Another good get for your show s'wiper. I hope his son's already on an individual training program for tots, in preparation for his drafting as a F/S. Harro's a sensation. The speech he gave at last year's Syd was very moving and I have no doubt his feelings for the club are 100% genuine. He's a gun!!

It would have been easy for someone in Harris' position to turn his back on the club or even go as far as to belittle it when the opportunity arose. It's awesome to see how he conducts himself and I wish him all the best in his football career.

I'm just wondering, assuming he plays a few seasons for Gold Cast, if his son were to be drafted what rulings would there be to determine which club can invoke the father-son draft rule? Of course I'm asking about how it could work under the current legislation which won't necessarily be the same in the future

I'm just wondering, assuming he plays a few seasons for Gold Cast, if his son were to be drafted what rulings would there be to determine which club can invoke the father-son draft rule? Of course I'm asking about how it could work under the current legislation which won't necessarily be the same in the future

Well he'd have to play 100 senior games for GC17 for this to become an issue and, if he did, his son would be able to choose either club, as long as that club was willing to use the draft pick necessary to ward off any other clubs who lodge interest in him.

You neglected to mention the key signing of a Platinum sponsor for the show during the week, Scotland!

Ah yes. Moon's Accounting and Auctioneers. Call 1800 Metro.:D
Seriously though, thanks to Mark Perkins and A1 Building for supporting the show on behalf of the WA NMFC Supporters Group.:thumbsu:

Would be interesting to do a poll to find out how many NM supporters now barrack for GC17 to follow Harris. I know Zondor is on the GC17 e-mail list - and that's a fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back