Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
You sound like our coach - slightest bit of pressure and turns to a whinger and the ultimate deflector.
I don't give a hoot if Dusty gets bumped off the ball, he's big enough and string enough to look after himself.
What's the coach and his team-mates doing about it.
Fact, my best mate is a Geelong supporter, and he and I would watch the Cats a couple of times a year and would see Ablett bumped repeatedly in similar circumstances. What happened? Every time he was bumped, Stevie J, Chapman, Mooney would be in there throwing the weight around. Why aren't our blokes in there???
Dusty threw an elbow and deserved his suspension. Lucky not to get two.
Different rules back then, what they got away with trying to hurt the tagger is not the same any more. that doesnt mean we shouldnt try things, but it cant be the same as before.

Thrasher97

🏆🏆🏆
Jul 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone able to post the article?

https://outline.com/CHxyUg

No captain obvious for Tigers as Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis issues rallying cry for Dustin Martin
April 10, 2019
Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis models the Tigers' new jumper, which they will wear against Melbourne on Anzac Eve at the MCG. Picture: Ian Currie
Fellow premiership players Shaun Grigg (knee) and Jayden Short (elbow) will also miss, while veteran defender Bachar Houli (hamstring) is no certainty to return.

The Tigers are yet to name a captain for the clash, with their three-man leadership group of Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt all missing in action.

However, Nankervis said he was confident the side had enough talent and leadership to work its way through the predicament.

“I think that’s footy, isn’t it?,” Nankervis said of the injury curse.

“There’s always injuries and you never want to see anyone get injured, let alone your own teammates. But it’s something we can’t really control.
d94127f3bb6d1009d646df3b691def7f
It’s been a long time since the Tigers went into a match without all of Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin and Alex Rance. Picture: AAP
“I think we might get a few boys back this week. And the young boys, we’re really confident in what they can do.

“It’s an opportunity for players to come in a play a role and I think we’re really confident at our footy club that it’s about our system, not so much individual players winning games for us.

“We have our captain and vice-captains but there are probably a group of seven or eight guys who are unbelievable leaders. I think our leadership is really deep at Richmond and it’s something that I’m really confident in, our leaders at the moment.”

Frustrating one on the weekend !! I understand my reaction is not a good look for the game.. I apologise for my actions . Thanks 🤙🏼

Nankervis issued a rallying cry for his teammates to get around Brownlow Medallist Martin who has publicly apologised for his meltdown against Greater Western Sydney.

Martin had a two-game suspension for striking Giants’ opponent Adam Kennedy downgraded to one-match at the AFL tribunal on Tuesday night which means he will miss Saturday’s clash against Port Adelaide.

He was also fined $2500 by the AFL for directing abusive gestures towards GWS opponents, including raising his middle finger and simulating a drug-snorting gesture. A further $5000 suspended fine has been put in place by the AFL until the end of 2020, should Martin slip up again.

“Frustrating one on the weekend!!,” Martin posted on Twitter yesterday after the fine was handed down.

“I understand my reaction is not a good look for the game.. I apologise for my actions. Thanks.”
11ce1cb803fe00be603ae80aa56e10b1
Dustin Martin publicly apologised for his rude gestures on the weekend.
Nankervis said the midfield group also had a role to play in helping Martin through heavy tags in future.

“He probably has copped it for a few years, Dusty,” Nankervis said.

“He’s such a good player that most sides look to him. But it’s probably about us. We probably could have done more to help him as well. But we’ll move on from it and learn from it, both Dusty and us as a team.

“I think us as a whole midfield group haven’t been playing our best footy either. It’s not just Dusty, it’s us. But hopefully we can improve that.”

Nankervis said Martin had fronted up for training on Tuesday and performed well, seemingly unaffected by the scrutiny on him.

“He’s really unselfish in the way he goes about it,” Nankervis said.

“He hasn’t made it about him at all which is his character. It’s a credit to him.”
69673e7627bd28fa7097d9dd6a4698dd
Young gun Sydney Stack impressed on debut for the Tigers in a losing effort against GWS. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
He said the inclusion of Sydney Stack last week was a prime example that Richmond had strong depth, the 18-year-old logging 17 disposals and booting one goal on debut against Greater Western Sydney.

“Sydney Stack on the weekend was really impressive and there’s a few other boys that are a chance to play this weekend as well,” Nankervis told the Herald Sun.

“It is only Round 4 so we’ve got so much time to improve and I feel really confident that we’ll do that.”

Richmond has revealed it’s specially-designed jumper it will wear for its Anzac Eve clash with Melbourne on April 24, with proceeds from each guernsey sold to be donated to the RSL’s Anzac Appeal.

The Tigers will also continue an annual donation of $5000 to the Shrine of Remembrance.
">
Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis has dismissed the Tigers’ current injury curse as part of the game, saying the side remains confident that its system can stand up.

Richmond will be without all of its ‘Big Four’ — Trent Cotchin (hamstring), Dustin Martin (suspended), Alex Rance (knee) and Jack Riewoldt (wrist) — for its clash with Port Adelaide on Saturday.

SUPERCOACH: WHO TO GET FOR DUSTY

REVEALED: WHAT TIPPED DUSTY OVER THE EDGE
e0e38452ab86f96713143743a0135b44
Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis models the Tigers' new jumper, which they will wear against Melbourne on Anzac Eve at the MCG. Picture: Ian Currie
Fellow premiership players Shaun Grigg (knee) and Jayden Short (elbow) will also miss, while veteran defender Bachar Houli (hamstring) is no certainty to return.

The Tigers are yet to name a captain for the clash, with their three-man leadership group of Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt all missing in action.

However, Nankervis said he was confident the side had enough talent and leadership to work its way through the predicament.

“There’s always injuries and you never want to see anyone get injured, let alone your own teammates. But it’s something we can’t really control.
It’s been a long time since the Tigers went into a match without all of Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin and Alex Rance. Picture: AAP
“I think we might get a few boys back this week. And the young boys, we’re really confident in what they can do.

“It’s an opportunity for players to come in a play a role and I think we’re really confident at our footy club that it’s about our system, not so much individual players winning games for us.

“We have our captain and vice-captains but there are probably a group of seven or eight guys who are unbelievable leaders. I think our leadership is really deep at Richmond and it’s something that I’m really confident in, our leaders at the moment.”

Frustrating one on the weekend !! I understand my reaction is not a good look for the game.. I apologise for my actions . Thanks 🤙🏼

Nankervis issued a rallying cry for his teammates to get around Brownlow Medallist Martin who has publicly apologised for his meltdown against Greater Western Sydney.

Martin had a two-game suspension for striking Giants’ opponent Adam Kennedy downgraded to one-match at the AFL tribunal on Tuesday night which means he will miss Saturday’s clash against Port Adelaide.

He was also fined $2500 by the AFL for directing abusive gestures towards GWS opponents, including raising his middle finger and simulating a drug-snorting gesture. A further $5000 suspended fine has been put in place by the AFL until the end of 2020, should Martin slip up again.

“Frustrating one on the weekend!!,” Martin posted on Twitter yesterday after the fine was handed down.

“I understand my reaction is not a good look for the game.. I apologise for my actions. Thanks.”
Nankervis said the midfield group also had a role to play in helping Martin through heavy tags in future.

“He’s such a good player that most sides look to him. But it’s probably about us. We probably could have done more to help him as well. But we’ll move on from it and learn from it, both Dusty and us as a team.

“I think us as a whole midfield group haven’t been playing our best footy either. It’s not just Dusty, it’s us. But hopefully we can improve that.”

Nankervis said Martin had fronted up for training on Tuesday and performed well, seemingly unaffected by the scrutiny on him.

“He hasn’t made it about him at all which is his character. It’s a credit to him.”
Young gun Sydney Stack impressed on debut for the Tigers in a losing effort against GWS. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
He said the inclusion of Sydney Stack last week was a prime example that Richmond had strong depth, the 18-year-old logging 17 disposals and booting one goal on debut against Greater Western Sydney.

“Sydney Stack on the weekend was really impressive and there’s a few other boys that are a chance to play this weekend as well,” Nankervis told the Herald Sun.

“It is only Round 4 so we’ve got so much time to improve and I feel really confident that we’ll do that.”

Richmond has revealed it’s specially-designed jumper it will wear for its Anzac Eve clash with Melbourne on April 24, with proceeds from each guernsey sold to be donated to the RSL’s Anzac Appeal.

The Tigers will also continue an annual donation of $5000 to the Shrine of Remembrance.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
This f***ing gimp is obsessed. Interviewing umpires now about Martin. He destroyed your club in the qualifying final in 2017. Get over it.

Hes a cocksmoker - almost looked disappointed with rays response
another thing that shits me, why do umpires pick up the occasional hold from a ball player like he mentioned with dustys arm around pendles waist, yet the taggers of this world, greenwood, deboard, hutchings, jacobs CONSTANTLY and i mean CONSTANTLY hold or have their backs to the ball at a ball up and get away with it. Its one thing Ive never ever been able to accept with aussie rules - the mongrels can niggle illegally and get away with it, the ball players get crucified. Its ******* weird

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Hes a cocksmoker - almost looked disappointed with rays response
another thing that shits me, why do umpires pick up the occasional hold from a ball player like he mentioned with dustys arm around pendles waist, yet the taggers of this world, greenwood, deboard, hutchings, jacobs CONSTANTLY and i mean CONSTANTLY hold or have their backs to the ball at a ball up and get away with it. Its one thing Ive never ever been able to accept with aussie rules - the mongrels can niggle illegally and get away with it, the ball players get crucified
Yeah you could see Wankley die inside when Dusty received high praise

This f***ing gimp is obsessed. Interviewing umpires now about Martin. He destroyed your club in the qualifying final in 2017. Get over it.

Why do you all keep giving him airtime? Best way to shut him up is just to ignore him.

The less viewers and listeners he gets the less time it takes to get him off the airways.

No matter how many contacts he has in the media industry if he’s not getting viewers or listeners they’re not going to keep him around.

Tiges1229

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Why do you all keep giving him airtime? Best way to shut him up is just to ignore him.

The less viewers and listeners he gets the less time it takes to get him off the airways.

No matter how many contacts he has in the media industry if he’s not getting viewers or listeners they’re not going to keep him around.

I reckon he is the type to rub one out while he reads all the stuff people say about him online.

You are smarter than the average bear - agree 100%

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Different rules back then, what they got away with trying to hurt the tagger is not the same any more. that doesnt mean we shouldnt try things, but it cant be the same as before.
True enough. So nowadays the tagging issue is a selection issue and a match day coaching issue. Dimma never selects taggers. Never has one of our players tag for a whole game. I think Markov would've been good on Whitfield. Anyhow victory to General Cameron on debore vs Martin. However I think GWS would've won tag Dusty or not. Lots of last year Dusty was at full fwd. Isolated. Worked well. Dusty has good attributes as a fwd. Last week our team was way out of balance, and lots of very inexperienced players. Lots of poor performances. Interesting to see if our system can withstand all the change.

https://outline.com/CHxyUg

No captain obvious for Tigers as Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis issues rallying cry for Dustin Martin
April 10, 2019

">
Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis has dismissed the Tigers’ current injury curse as part of the game, saying the side remains confident that its system can stand up.

Richmond will be without all of its ‘Big Four’ — Trent Cotchin (hamstring), Dustin Martin (suspended), Alex Rance (knee) and Jack Riewoldt (wrist) — for its clash with Port Adelaide on Saturday.

SUPERCOACH: WHO TO GET FOR DUSTY

REVEALED: WHAT TIPPED DUSTY OVER THE EDGE
e0e38452ab86f96713143743a0135b44

Thanks Thrasher your a gun

Now they need to start doing it on the field.

Yep, talk is cheap. Also there is a fine line between defend and distract. Martin is no slouch, so I hope we don't get overly distracted next time. Just sit down with Balmey and talk it through Dusty.

Back