Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Last edited:

poppa pump

All Australian
Jun 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
martin draft.jpg
the moment a young dusty was drafted and change richmonds future towards what it is now.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
How do we break it to Dusty that he could play till he is forty?

The argument being he is of robust strong boned build where, provided he stays reasonably lean like now, his pedigree suggests it historically is used to maintaining powerful builds regarding the joints and the fact is he does not get too far off the ground to increase the probability of broken ankles/knees etc... He is very handy in the forward line and it is not like he is fully reliant on fast twitches.

Do people think Martin is aware arguably has a greater ability to play way longer than the average star at least, certainly a Franklin, and could easily threaten KB's record following KB's path into the forward line if he loses a touch of speed in his step.

I guess the point being, if Martin is really fussed over the money situation, simply look after his body including internals would have to be the first port of call I would have thought because if he does he could really cash in big time later in his career!!!

Frankly the headline, Tiger for life, might eventuate, but it could be a bit premature, I think some could be underestimating Dusty's potential and capabilities going forward!!

One thing in his advantage playing for RFC is good players can come in and give him a chop out at opportune time even in junk time thereby easing his workload and increasing his longevity. The fact is if Martin had of gone to North who lack the players to ease his workload he could have suffered burnout far earlier which may have cost him millions!!!

Last edited:

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Reading back through some old Dusty threads and found this pearler from an article back in 2010.

"I'm looking at him from an outsider's perspective and thinking he's going to turn into a waddler," Brereton said on radio station SEN.

"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside player."

"His currency right now, in relative terms to the market, is as good as it's ever going to be."

Good call Dermie.

Nebular

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Reading back through some old Dusty threads and found this pearler from an article back in 2010.

"I'm looking at him from an outsider's perspective and thinking he's going to turn into a waddler," Brereton said on radio station SEN.

"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside player."

"His currency right now, in relative terms to the market, is as good as it's ever going to be."

Good call Dermie.
I remember when he said this.....pissed me off for years.

Good call Dermie.

Doesn't mind going the early crow old dermie hehe

Back