Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure of the faith some have in Dusty? Why do we assume that anyone can have a strong negative influence on him? Why can't he have a positive influence on others?.....🐯
The chopstick setup actually did Dusty a favour.
Made him more street wise which in this case has come too the fore.
Imagine the outcry if he met him behind closed doors.

[/QUOTE]
Dustyesky not football thing. Iz receptakle for hold beer cold.

In Soberia not need thing. Need brazierre on cow bozum.

Iz always cold.

Dustyesky not football thing. Iz receptakle for hold beer cold.

In Soberia not need thing. Need brazierre on cow bozum.

Iz always cold.
[/QUOTE]

"Most infectious choir on de plant, right now".....🤣

An aspect of Dusty's game that I am convinced he is the undisputed GOAT is his concentration on the ball

Watch any of his best plays

- Goal 2 in 20 GF (especially this one)
- Goal 4 in 20 GF
- Goal 2 19 GF
- Making Stewart look stupid QF 17

Dusty's ball-focus is strikingly higher than his opponents. Honestly it's cat-like. I'm sure other players intend to focus 100% on the ball, but instinctively get distracted by team structures/opposition players/umpires whistle

It's a nuance in his armoury that is less appreciated when weighed against his physical attributes

4. Dusty's Grand Final greatness
Where Dustin Martin ranked among Australian football's greatest Grand Final performers was a popular debate in the lead-up to the 2020 decider. It was not up for debate following the Tigers' 31-point win against Geelong under lights at the Gabba. Martin elevated himself to an unmatched level of greatness, becoming the first player to win three Norm Smith Medals and spearheading his team's third premiership in four seasons. He is now undoubtedly the modern game's greatest finals performer and the stats speak for themselves. In 11 finals, Dusty has averaged 22.7 disposals and 2.3 goals. He had four goals and 21 disposals against Geelong, to go with a game-high nine score involvements and 457 metres gained (ranked No.2). None of Geelong's multiple plans to shut him down worked. It was fitting that two Legends in the Australian Football Hall of Fame, Leigh Matthews and Malcolm Blight, voted to award him a third Norm Smith Medal, with the 29-year-old a unanimous choice. His ability to lift and impose himself on the game, kicking goals and having an influence at critical moments was the defining quality of another thrilling Grand final performance.

An aspect of Dusty's game that I am convinced he is the undisputed GOAT is his concentration on the ball

- Goal 4 in 20 GF
- Goal 2 19 GF

Dusty's ball-focus is strikingly higher than his opponents. Honestly it's cat-like. I'm sure other players intend to focus 100% on the ball, but instinctively get distracted by team structures/opposition players/umpires whistle

It's a nuance in his armoury that is less appreciated when weighed against his physical attributes
As mentioned in the Tiger Talk podcast.Can anyone recall Dusty ever staging for a free?As in going out of his way like Dangerflog does?
I can't to be honest.

Experts name Australia’s 20 biggest sports stars of 2020
Dustin Martin swept all before him but Australia had champions at a global level in multiple sports in a unique year. Who ranks higher?

Lauren Wood, Nick Smart, Gilbert Gardiner and Scott Gullan
December 25, 2020 - 8:05AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

The fact Ash Barty hasn’t played a tournament since February and ends the year as world No.1 illustrates how crazy 2020 has been for world sport.

Some athletes sat out most of the year, others played on and almost everyone was in a bubble somewhere as Australia’s top sportsmen and women battled the challenges of a global pandemic as well as their rivals.

From the Women’s T20 world Cup final in March — played in front of 86,174 fans at the MCG — to a night AFL Grand Final at the Gabba, it’s been a year for the history books.

And judging athlete’s performances against each other has never been harder. But that hasn’t stopped our experts making an attempt.

1. DUSTIN MARTIN (Richmond, AFL)

Turned the 2020 AFL Grand Final on its head as he inspired Richmond to its third premiership in four years with an extraordinary second-half performance. The 29-year-old kicked four goals (including one just before halftime) and became the first player in history to win three Norm Smith Medals. Peerless among our nation’s footballers for delivering when it matters most.

As mentioned in the Tiger Talk podcast.Can anyone recall Dusty ever staging for a free?As in going out of his way like Dangerflog does?
I can't to be honest.

Me neither. Occasionally you might see him appeal to the umpire for a legitimate free especially when he has been constantly held, scragged and obstructed, but straight out staging - no.

I can't to be honest.
You can't because he doesn't do it. His concentration towards the ball is as good as any player I've ever seen. I'm only guessing but I don't believe it would even enter his head to stage, let alone fully fledged diving like Dangerfield does.

Isn't it funny how none of the commentators or AFL media in general call him out on his blatant diving. It's just not mentioned.

- Goal 4 in 20 GF
- Goal 2 19 GF

Totally agree.

That holding ball free he won against Stanley? just before half time in the GF, that he then went on to belly the banana attempt- He is in the act of tackling - most players would be just focussed on sticking the tackle, but he is so focussed on the ball that he sees the opportunity to flick it out of Stanley's possession, winning the free. He also seems to strip the ball from the oppo player a lot more than others.

Richmond’s Dustin Martin became the first player in VFL/AFL history to be named the Norm Smith medallist three times Richmond’s Dustin Martin became the first player in VFL/AFL history to be named the Norm Smith medallist three times
2020: ordinary year — wouldn’t recommend it. If you had a warranty you’d be taking it back for a refund.
Fortunately, sport was here to save the day and delivered plenty of light in what proved to be a rather long, dark tunnel. We saw more bubbles than a teenager’s bathtub but we got there.

So who are AWAAT’s winners and losers? Our heroes and villains? Here we go …

AFL player of the year

This award was in the balance until just before halftime in the AFL grand final between Richmond and Geelong.

The Cats held a 21-point lead as the big break loomed until Dustin Martin grabbed the ball and sparked a resurgence with the first of his four massive goals for the Tigers.

Martin became the first player in VFL/AFL history to be named the Norm Smith medallist three times, surpassing two-time winners Andrew McLeod (Adelaide) and Hawthorn’s Gary Ayres and Luke Hodge. Fair player.

You can't because he doesn't do it. His concentration towards the ball is as good as any player I've ever seen. I'm only guessing but I don't believe it would even enter his head to stage, let alone fully fledged diving like Dangerfield does.

Isn't it funny how none of the commentators or AFL media in general call him out on his blatant diving. It's just not mentioned.
I guess when your as good as Dusty.The ball just wants to be in his hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ELITE ATHLETES A BIT DUSTY
A subjective decision of course, but what odds the best sportsman in the world and Australia’s finest in 2020 sharing the same name?

For the record Dustin in ancient Germanic languages translates to “brave or valiant fighter”, and that’s what US golfer Dustin Johnson and Australian rules footballer Dustin Martin were in 2020.

For COVID reasons the sporting year may have lacked a Ballon d’or for the best soccer player on the planet, or winners of Wimbledon and golf’s British Open, but enough quality sport took place for gongs to be awarded.

And Dustin Johnson was extraordinary, winning the Vardon Trophy for scoring average with a remarkable 66.9 after taking the US Masters by five strokes, winning three other events and finishing second in the US PGA and sixth in the US Open.

WORLD SPORTSPERSON OF 2020
1 Dustin Johnson (US, golf): Clearly the best player in the game and that isn’t easy.
2 Robert Lewandowski (Poland, soccer): Bayern Munich’s striker had no peer in 2020.
3 LeBron James (US, basketball): Finals MVP, championships with three NBA franchises.
4 Lewis Hamilton (England, F1): The year when he statistically became his sport’s greatest.
5 Patrick Mahomes (American football): At 25 is there a quarterback record he won’t break?

AUSTRALIAN SPORTSPERSON OF 2020
1 Dustin Martin (Australian rules): Has there been a better clutch player in sport?
2 Scotty James (snowboarding): Cricket had Bradman, snowboarding has James.
3 Cameron Smith (rugby league): Went out as he started … on top.
4 Beth Mooney (cricket): Player of the T20 World Cup, world’s No.1 female batter.
5 Stewart McSweyn (athletics): This machine from King Island is rewriting records.

ELITE ATHLETES A BIT DUSTY
A subjective decision of course, but what odds the best sportsman in the world and Australia’s finest in 2020 sharing the same name?

For the record Dustin in ancient Germanic languages translates to “brave or valiant fighter”, and that’s what US golfer Dustin Johnson and Australian rules footballer Dustin Martin were in 2020.

For COVID reasons the sporting year may have lacked a Ballon d’or for the best soccer player on the planet, or winners of Wimbledon and golf’s British Open, but enough quality sport took place for gongs to be awarded.

And Dustin Johnson was extraordinary, winning the Vardon Trophy for scoring average with a remarkable 66.9 after taking the US Masters by five strokes, winning three other events and finishing second in the US PGA and sixth in the US Open.

WORLD SPORTSPERSON OF 2020
1 Dustin Johnson (US, golf): Clearly the best player in the game and that isn’t easy.
2 Robert Lewandowski (Poland, soccer): Bayern Munich’s striker had no peer in 2020.
3 LeBron James (US, basketball): Finals MVP, championships with three NBA franchises.
4 Lewis Hamilton (England, F1): The year when he statistically became his sport’s greatest.
5 Patrick Mahomes (American football): At 25 is there a quarterback record he won’t break?

AUSTRALIAN SPORTSPERSON OF 2020
1 Dustin Martin (Australian rules): Has there been a better clutch player in sport?
2 Scotty James (snowboarding): Cricket had Bradman, snowboarding has James.
3 Cameron Smith (rugby league): Went out as he started … on top.
4 Beth Mooney (cricket): Player of the T20 World Cup, world’s No.1 female batter.
5 Stewart McSweyn (athletics): This machine from King Island is rewriting records.

I preferred the other Cameron Smith

I can't to be honest.
Me neither. Occasionally you might see him appeal to the umpire for a legitimate free especially when he has been constantly held, scragged and obstructed, but straight out staging - no.

Closest I could find so far...

Dusty-free zone. In fact only a single Richmond highlight (Pickett’s blind turn). :think:
There’s some great moments and very good players but seriously, one mark from B. Goddard apparently better than any of Dusty’s Norm Smiths.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back