Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

That's when he wasn't tucked in the back pocket getting the cheap +6's from the kick out.

Arguably worse than his brother for chasing cheap possessions. ;)

If he was having his career in the Dusty era he wouldn't be tagging Dusty, the current rules with the crackdown on scragging would mean he was playing in the SANFL.

Interesting long article in the Age today:

A few snippets:

Patty Dangerfield would reasonably have thought he had him. With a minute and bit to play in last year’s grand final, Rhys Stanley fumbled the ball and Dustin Martin sliced between him and the Cats champion Dangerfield, pick-pocketing the ball and wheeling onto his left foot on the boundary line. Dangerfield lunged across and grasped at Martin’s waist. Dangerfield was off-balance but he is strong, he’d be able to hold most players. He couldn’t hold Martin.

Dusty wriggled free and snapped his fourth goal. The Tigers’ third premiership in four years was already won by then, and if another Norm Smith Medal was not assured for Martin, the Richmond superstar made certain of it in that moment. He could not be stopped.

“He is so strong,” said former Richmond assistant coach Justin Leppitsch. “That one you saw in the grand final, the last goal where he can just stamp his ground and roll his hips ... Dangerfield flew off him. He just has that strength through the core, that if he needs to also plant his feet and wiggle his hips the tackler just goes flying.”
If Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury is the player who stops time, which means he is rarely tackled, Dustin Martin is the one who can’t be tackled.

Pendlebury is an eye-of-the-storm player who finds a place of calm as chaos swirls around him. Martin is the actual storm, the twister that sucks players to him, picks them up and spits them out like tin rooves across a field.
Martin has broken twice as many tackles as any other player in the AFL over the past five years, according to Champion Data. Some players barely break one tackle; Martin breaks hundreds.

A few snippets:

Patty Dangerfield would reasonably have thought he had him. With a minute and bit to play in last year’s grand final, Rhys Stanley fumbled the ball and Dustin Martin sliced between him and the Cats champion Dangerfield, pick-pocketing the ball and wheeling onto his left foot on the boundary line. Dangerfield lunged across and grasped at Martin’s waist. Dangerfield was off-balance but he is strong, he’d be able to hold most players. He couldn’t hold Martin.

Dusty wriggled free and snapped his fourth goal. The Tigers’ third premiership in four years was already won by then, and if another Norm Smith Medal was not assured for Martin, the Richmond superstar made certain of it in that moment. He could not be stopped.

“He is so strong,” said former Richmond assistant coach Justin Leppitsch. “That one you saw in the grand final, the last goal where he can just stamp his ground and roll his hips ... Dangerfield flew off him. He just has that strength through the core, that if he needs to also plant his feet and wiggle his hips the tackler just goes flying.”
If Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury is the player who stops time, which means he is rarely tackled, Dustin Martin is the one who can’t be tackled.

Pendlebury is an eye-of-the-storm player who finds a place of calm as chaos swirls around him. Martin is the actual storm, the twister that sucks players to him, picks them up and spits them out like tin rooves across a field.
Martin has broken twice as many tackles as any other player in the AFL over the past five years, according to Champion Data. Some players barely break one tackle; Martin breaks hundreds.

Lol at Naish tackling him and the boys giving it to Dusty.

Can't be tackled??
He gets caught holding the ball all the time.
Pretty sure a few years back he lead the comp in getting caught.

His mental strength to not drop his head when he gets caught or absolutely shanks a kick and to try the same thing next opportunity and pull it off is why he is so good

Can't be tackled??
He gets caught holding the ball all the time.
Pretty sure a few years back he lead the comp in getting caught.

His mental strength to not drop his head when he gets caught or absolutely shanks a kick and to try the same thing next opportunity and pull it off is why he is so good

I mean he gets caught occasionally but has also broken 100 more tackles than anyone else in the last 5 years

AFL’s Dustin ‘Dusty’ Martin on mental health and his bad-boy image
In a very rare interview, AFL star Dustin Martin tackles questions about his upbringing, his mental-health struggles, and what he really thinks of his bad-boy image.
Patrick Carlyon, Stellar Magazine

Some snippets from the interview:

Talking with Dustin Martin is more about what he will not say than what he will.
He’s the biggest phenomenon in Australian sport, the first AFL player to win three best-on-ground medals in the grand final. Every footy fan – and plenty who never watch – knows him by his first name.

“Dusty” is AFL’s most marketable sporting commodity. Yet almost no-one really knows who he is – and that’s how he likes it. Martin says he doesn’t care what people think of him, because the only opinion that matters is his own.

As such, he tells Stellar, “I don’t know if I’m misunderstood or not. I just keep trying to be the best person I can. People are quick to pass judgement on one another, but you never really know what people are going through or have been through. We are all imperfect, we are all living and learning, and I just try to do my best every day.”

At his Stellar photo shoot on the docks of Port Melbourne, Martin is a cooperative and friendly presence. He will talk about his sponsors, the beginnings of “Dusty Inc.” and how he hopes to feature in the fashion industry after his sporting career ends.

He will expand on his love of kids, his troubles with phones (he hates phone covers and refuses to use them), and his fondness for sports documentaries, which teach him new things about elite performance.

He will show off his new tattoos, which include three premiership tatts – for 2017, 2019 and 2020 – that were inked on his thigh at about 6am the morning after last year’s grand final.

But he won’t talk about relationships.

Or the marriage breakdown of his coach, Damien Hardwick, except to say it will have “no impact” on Richmond’s plans to extend its grand-final dynasty.

As a journalist once said, Martin is a puzzle to be solved. He is hidden in plain sight, and has been since his AFL career began with 18 touches in a 2010 game.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale tries to explain the cult of Dusty, telling Stellar, “The public don’t know him. He’s hard to know. He’s a very soulful, passive sort of guy. [It is] a complete juxtaposition to the way he plays, which is ballistic and bombastic.”

Perhaps the most influential player of a generation, Martin’s mohawk styling denotes his warrior bearing, as though he has been lifted from a long-ago war and asked to put down his tomahawk. He harks back to footballing greats such as Wayne Carey, or Gary Ablett Sr, when the match result rests on his exploits and the other 35 players on the field double as observers.

At 29, Martin is growing up. If he’s “grateful” for the million-dollar contracts, he’s come to appreciate that the pursuit of happiness isn’t driven by material gains. He speaks of mindfulness to combat the empty feeling after he won his first flag in 2017. He reads, has kept a daily journal and taken cooking classes – all choices that don’t easily sit with his public reputation for toughness.
“I think most people at some stage in their lives go through a similar thing,” he says of his post-2017 blues. “I just think it’s important to be open and honest, and talk about your feelings with someone.”

It’s a side rarely glimpsed, along with a playfulness that’s defied the scrutiny. “He cares about things,” Gale says. “He is always evolving, learning and growing. That’s a side the public don’t see.”

After last year’s grand final, Martin sent Richmond club president Peggy O’Neal a text message: “We won, we won, we won.” His boyish exuberance extends to kids. Martin can often be spotted, on the floor, playing with the children of his teammates.

“I just remember as a kid I had a lot of great people I looked up to – my mum, dad, aunties and uncles – and they were always fun to be around and looked after me,” Martin says. “So I guess I try and be that kind of ‘fun uncle’ for the kids – and be there for them.”

If I was an opposition coach I would say 'If Dustin marks in the forward 50 zone off and leave whoever is at 40m in front of goals and leave him free.' costs us a goal each week him doing those dinky no selfish kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few snippets:

Kane Cornes does not like this.

Im sick of hearing this crap that Dusty is the best player of this century FFS hes the best of all time and yes I seen plenty of Leigh Matthews .
I wanna get your opinion, why is it that people say Carey is the greatest ever? I was too young to notice how good he was but he never won a GF off his own boot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back