Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond
From Castlemaine to the MCG: Where it all started for Dustin Martin
ELIZA SEWELL, Herald Sun
29 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THE lights at Castlemaine’s Camp Reserve are starting to dim as, deep in the pocket closest to the Magpies’ rooms, the kid lines up.

He’s 16, maybe 17, and older teammates including Luke Walters look on from a splintered bench seat, cans in hand.

“We’d be sitting here having beers and the lights are virtually off and he’d be there checksiding goal after goal after goal,” Walters, 36, tells the Herald Sun.

MATES RATES: WHY DUSTY GAVE UP $2 MILLION TO STAY

MANAGER’S HARD BARGAIN: THE ART OF RALPH

FOOTY SHOW RECAP: WHAT DID DUSTY AND HIS DAD SAY?

ANALYSIS: NORTH STILL CHASING TOP-LINE TALENT

“He’d go and get his footies and run them back, by himself. It was bizarre.

“You’d actually sit there and have bets — ‘All right he’ll get four out of five’. Most times he’d get five out of five.”

Today Dustin Martin arguably is the biggest name in football.

Back then he was just a boy with a dream — and a killer banana kick that only got better and better. Hard work will do that.

ea80bb4919d5fa8fab93f1f3ca7a02b4

Dustin Martin made a name for himself at Castlemaine as a 16-year-old.
The Castlemaine ground is nestled between train tracks and a rise of houses, a lone palm tree at its entrance. It’s the footy ground and the town’s showgrounds, even home to the table tennis club.

Bryan Maltby first saw Martin play there for the Magpies in an under-16½ competition, but he didn’t last long in the juniors.

“He went straight into the seniors, more or less,” Maltby, 65, says.

“They’d isolate Dustin out on the wing and the coach would say, ‘Just kick it out there, any old how, anywhere, and he’ll get it’. Ninety-nine times out of 100 he’d get the ball.

“He’s always been a prodigious kick. It’s not a big, long loping kick; it’s long and hard and flat. From day one. Both sides of his body.

“When he started his football career here, if you made the seniors you got $50. That’s what he started on. But it wasn’t about money for him. He was always striving to improve himself as a footballer.”

Walters was a key player in that 2008 game plan described by Maltby — it helped secure him a best-and-fairest win over Martin, legend has it by a single vote.

(A year later Martin was at the Bendigo Pioneers, and by Round 1, 2010, lining up for Richmond at the MCG).

“He’d play on a wing and every play had to go through Dustin,” Walters confirms.

“He was 17 playing against 25 to 30-year-olds and our game plan was to kick it to Dustin.

“It didn’t faze him and he’d just get the ball and he knew how to push people away. He had that don’t-argue back then … he was only a kid but it was crazy how he’d push blokes over.”

“He was pretty much a bull when he started,” recalls Jamie Elliott, who was Martin’s coach that year.

“There’s not too many people who can run into a pack, grab the footy and run out backwards pushing people away, especially when you’re 16 years of age.

“He’d listen, want to train, always the last off the track.”

42aca0b5edf56a77079c3f3683df0290

Dustin Martin in action for the Bendigo Pioneers. Picture: Getty Images
75febaf01dcbfaf2becf99af1e16857d

The Richmond star Martin is today. Picture: Michael Klein
Nick Churchill tells a bloody good tale and sells cider for a living. He’d sell a lot of it, you suspect.

The 46-year-old Castlemaine local played for the Magpies through the 1980s and 1990s. He remembers watching one of Martin’s first senior games.

“Dale Bower was a recruiting agent for Footscray and I actually said to him, ‘Mate, I’ve just seen this gun who’s going to play AFL’,” Churchill says as he watches the Magpies take on Golden Square.

The recruiter was sceptical. The scout was adamant.

“I said, ‘He’s just kicked eight, at 16, against the reigning premier ... from centre half-forward’.

“He was the only player at Castlemaine who was getting a kick; we lost by about 15 goals.”

The margin last Saturday in the seniors, as Castlemaine hosted the final game of its Bendigo League season, was much the same. The Magpies were thrashed by 138 points.

“I don’t even know if Dusty could help us today,” Churchill jokes.

It’s been a long season for the Magpies, who will finish second bottom.

d659c8243572bf8d19e06300c9716dc3

The Castlemaine ground where Martin played as a junior. Picture: Shaun Phillips
Last Saturday the under-18s, backing up after a default the week before, lead into the last quarter only to be overrun.

The reserves, with club president and veteran Ian Bracken everywhere, hang on for a stirring upset win over the Bendigo visitors. The uplifting victory gives the seniors confidence they too can defeat the finals-bound Golden Square.

But “The Square” is far too strong for the young Magpies.

Playing down back for the seniors is 18-year-old Zac Denahy. Turns out he’s Martin’s cousin.

Knowing his breeding, you can pick up a bit of Dusty in the gait. And he’s got the same bright green Pumas.

Denahy has a fair leap and he’s played two games for TAC Cup side Bendigo Pioneers this year. He remains tight with his cousin.

“Everyone gets around him at the club,” Denahy says as he watches the seconds play.

“I go down and watch his games. He’s come down and watched a few of my games over the years. It’s good to get him down here.”

While the Castlemaine crew are proud of their product, 5km out the road towards Daylesford, the folk at Campbell’s Creek have an even earlier claim on the Brownlow Medal favourite.

At the Creekers, Martin wasn’t yet Dusty, he was simply Dust.

7c26c4d1d232a9650bdfa99bfa685c55

Martin’s mates from Castlemaine: Jack Chester, Zac Denahy, Kal Huntley, Zach Hansford, Baidon Blake, Darby Semmens and Jake Peake.
Cody Adamson, now 27, remembers Dust turning out in the under-10s, illegally, as it emerges. He was only six, after all.

“One of the other kids in our team wasn’t allowed to play because he was under seven, but we all wanted Dustin to keep playing, but because he was under seven he got dobbed in as well,” Cody says.

“We lost one of our best players … in under-10s it was like he was already a 10-year-old. I don’t know, it was just his skills and everything. He was big.”

Back then Martin loved the Saints, and especially Robert Harvey.

“You could not get Robert Harvey’s jumper off him,” remembers Steve Adamson, Cody’s dad and a life-long Creeker who coached Martin in the under-12s.

“He trained in it, he went to school in it, he slept in it. Robert Harvey was his idol.”

And Martin always knew what he wanted to do with his life.

“Mum and Dad used to have the Campbell’s Creek store and (Martin’s Dad) Shane would pick us up in the ute and (take the boys out to Dustin’s house),” Cody says.

“They’d made a footy field for us out of a paddock. We’d play football all day, the three Martin brothers (Dustin, Bronson and Tyson) and my brother (Josh), until it was dark.

a06f8d801947497999578e71f354b767

Dustin Martin with father Shane and mother Kathy at the 2009 draft.
“We’d go inside and Dustin would always stay out by himself, practising kicking goals.

“That’s all he wanted to do. Just play AFL. There was no other option.”

Martin left school in Year 9 and moved to Sydney to live with Shane, but Cody says there was no way he was missing the business end of the under-15 season, flying back for the finals.

Steve Adamson remembers the grand final, a loss to Maldon.

“He did some amazing things that day,” Steve says.

“I remember when he was getting drafted … we gave (Mum) Kathy a video of that grand final and you see him taking species and spinning around on a 20 cent piece.”

In a little over three weeks, vision of grown-up Dustin Martin will flash around the Crown Palladium as the Brownlow Medal count warms up.

Ninety minutes up the Calder, the party will be getting started in those old rooms at Camp Reserve.

A flyer on the door at the footy last Saturday reveals the feeling in the town.

“Who is the favourite for the Brownlow Medal? Our very own Castlemaine local Dustin Martin,” it read.

“Come on down to the social rooms …. on Monday, 25th September to cheer him on as a town.

“Let’s all get behind him and join together to show him how proud we are and to celebrate his amazing achievements as an elite AFL player. You will also be supporting our club and its ongoing ability to nurture and produce future champions.”

7738f803110c743ac9759d8947f01521

Dustin Martin pumping the weights before he was drafted by Richmond.
At the Five Flags Hotel, on the Midland Highway in Campbell’s Creek, there’s a party planned, too.

“I just know he’s going to win,” Steve Adamson says. “We’re going to have what’s called a Dustin Martini.”

Cider salesman Churchill says the whole district is proud of the one-time Magpie winger.

“As far as Castlemaine goes, we’ve never had anyone as good as him,” Churchill says.

“Apart from Ron Barassi, but he’s actually from Guilford.”

Maltby has two affiliations in the AFL now — St Kilda and Martin.

“I love following him obviously because he’s us. He’s part of the Castlemaine Football Club,” Maltby says.

“I think people have judged him a little bit for his tatts around his neck. It gives most people the impression he’s a rough diamond, a bad sort of a person, but he’s certainly not.

“He’s just one of the quiet boys, a quiet achiever.”
Nice little story. My folks live in Castlemaine, Dad used to go to the footy every week but struggles now because they've been AWFUL for a long time now!! Really nice ground to go to for an afternoon at the footy. I hadn't been for a while but last year we went to 2 games. We went to the first game this year which they won but they've been getting beaten by around 100 points every week since so I haven't got up there to go to another one and Dad hasn't gone again!!
I was going to post a pic of the ground but there is one included in the article.

Richmond
From Castlemaine to the MCG: Where it all started for Dustin Martin
ELIZA SEWELL, Herald Sun
29 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THE lights at Castlemaine’s Camp Reserve are starting to dim as, deep in the pocket closest to the Magpies’ rooms, the kid lines up.

He’s 16, maybe 17, and older teammates including Luke Walters look on from a splintered bench seat, cans in hand.

“We’d be sitting here having beers and the lights are virtually off and he’d be there checksiding goal after goal after goal,” Walters, 36, tells the Herald Sun.

MATES RATES: WHY DUSTY GAVE UP $2 MILLION TO STAY

MANAGER’S HARD BARGAIN: THE ART OF RALPH

FOOTY SHOW RECAP: WHAT DID DUSTY AND HIS DAD SAY?

ANALYSIS: NORTH STILL CHASING TOP-LINE TALENT

“He’d go and get his footies and run them back, by himself. It was bizarre.

“You’d actually sit there and have bets — ‘All right he’ll get four out of five’. Most times he’d get five out of five.”

Today Dustin Martin arguably is the biggest name in football.

Back then he was just a boy with a dream — and a killer banana kick that only got better and better. Hard work will do that.

ea80bb4919d5fa8fab93f1f3ca7a02b4

Dustin Martin made a name for himself at Castlemaine as a 16-year-old.
The Castlemaine ground is nestled between train tracks and a rise of houses, a lone palm tree at its entrance. It’s the footy ground and the town’s showgrounds, even home to the table tennis club.

Bryan Maltby first saw Martin play there for the Magpies in an under-16½ competition, but he didn’t last long in the juniors.

“He went straight into the seniors, more or less,” Maltby, 65, says.

“They’d isolate Dustin out on the wing and the coach would say, ‘Just kick it out there, any old how, anywhere, and he’ll get it’. Ninety-nine times out of 100 he’d get the ball.

“He’s always been a prodigious kick. It’s not a big, long loping kick; it’s long and hard and flat. From day one. Both sides of his body.

“When he started his football career here, if you made the seniors you got $50. That’s what he started on. But it wasn’t about money for him. He was always striving to improve himself as a footballer.”

Walters was a key player in that 2008 game plan described by Maltby — it helped secure him a best-and-fairest win over Martin, legend has it by a single vote.

(A year later Martin was at the Bendigo Pioneers, and by Round 1, 2010, lining up for Richmond at the MCG).

“He’d play on a wing and every play had to go through Dustin,” Walters confirms.

“He was 17 playing against 25 to 30-year-olds and our game plan was to kick it to Dustin.

“It didn’t faze him and he’d just get the ball and he knew how to push people away. He had that don’t-argue back then … he was only a kid but it was crazy how he’d push blokes over.”

“He was pretty much a bull when he started,” recalls Jamie Elliott, who was Martin’s coach that year.

“There’s not too many people who can run into a pack, grab the footy and run out backwards pushing people away, especially when you’re 16 years of age.

“He’d listen, want to train, always the last off the track.”

42aca0b5edf56a77079c3f3683df0290

Dustin Martin in action for the Bendigo Pioneers. Picture: Getty Images
75febaf01dcbfaf2becf99af1e16857d

The Richmond star Martin is today. Picture: Michael Klein
Nick Churchill tells a bloody good tale and sells cider for a living. He’d sell a lot of it, you suspect.

The 46-year-old Castlemaine local played for the Magpies through the 1980s and 1990s. He remembers watching one of Martin’s first senior games.

“Dale Bower was a recruiting agent for Footscray and I actually said to him, ‘Mate, I’ve just seen this gun who’s going to play AFL’,” Churchill says as he watches the Magpies take on Golden Square.

The recruiter was sceptical. The scout was adamant.

“I said, ‘He’s just kicked eight, at 16, against the reigning premier ... from centre half-forward’.

“He was the only player at Castlemaine who was getting a kick; we lost by about 15 goals.”

The margin last Saturday in the seniors, as Castlemaine hosted the final game of its Bendigo League season, was much the same. The Magpies were thrashed by 138 points.

“I don’t even know if Dusty could help us today,” Churchill jokes.

It’s been a long season for the Magpies, who will finish second bottom.

d659c8243572bf8d19e06300c9716dc3

The Castlemaine ground where Martin played as a junior. Picture: Shaun Phillips
Last Saturday the under-18s, backing up after a default the week before, lead into the last quarter only to be overrun.

The reserves, with club president and veteran Ian Bracken everywhere, hang on for a stirring upset win over the Bendigo visitors. The uplifting victory gives the seniors confidence they too can defeat the finals-bound Golden Square.

But “The Square” is far too strong for the young Magpies.

Playing down back for the seniors is 18-year-old Zac Denahy. Turns out he’s Martin’s cousin.

Knowing his breeding, you can pick up a bit of Dusty in the gait. And he’s got the same bright green Pumas.

Denahy has a fair leap and he’s played two games for TAC Cup side Bendigo Pioneers this year. He remains tight with his cousin.

“Everyone gets around him at the club,” Denahy says as he watches the seconds play.

“I go down and watch his games. He’s come down and watched a few of my games over the years. It’s good to get him down here.”

While the Castlemaine crew are proud of their product, 5km out the road towards Daylesford, the folk at Campbell’s Creek have an even earlier claim on the Brownlow Medal favourite.

At the Creekers, Martin wasn’t yet Dusty, he was simply Dust.

7c26c4d1d232a9650bdfa99bfa685c55

Martin’s mates from Castlemaine: Jack Chester, Zac Denahy, Kal Huntley, Zach Hansford, Baidon Blake, Darby Semmens and Jake Peake.
Cody Adamson, now 27, remembers Dust turning out in the under-10s, illegally, as it emerges. He was only six, after all.

“One of the other kids in our team wasn’t allowed to play because he was under seven, but we all wanted Dustin to keep playing, but because he was under seven he got dobbed in as well,” Cody says.

“We lost one of our best players … in under-10s it was like he was already a 10-year-old. I don’t know, it was just his skills and everything. He was big.”

Back then Martin loved the Saints, and especially Robert Harvey.

“You could not get Robert Harvey’s jumper off him,” remembers Steve Adamson, Cody’s dad and a life-long Creeker who coached Martin in the under-12s.

“He trained in it, he went to school in it, he slept in it. Robert Harvey was his idol.”

And Martin always knew what he wanted to do with his life.

“Mum and Dad used to have the Campbell’s Creek store and (Martin’s Dad) Shane would pick us up in the ute and (take the boys out to Dustin’s house),” Cody says.

“They’d made a footy field for us out of a paddock. We’d play football all day, the three Martin brothers (Dustin, Bronson and Tyson) and my brother (Josh), until it was dark.

a06f8d801947497999578e71f354b767

Dustin Martin with father Shane and mother Kathy at the 2009 draft.
“We’d go inside and Dustin would always stay out by himself, practising kicking goals.

“That’s all he wanted to do. Just play AFL. There was no other option.”

Martin left school in Year 9 and moved to Sydney to live with Shane, but Cody says there was no way he was missing the business end of the under-15 season, flying back for the finals.

Steve Adamson remembers the grand final, a loss to Maldon.

“He did some amazing things that day,” Steve says.

“I remember when he was getting drafted … we gave (Mum) Kathy a video of that grand final and you see him taking species and spinning around on a 20 cent piece.”

In a little over three weeks, vision of grown-up Dustin Martin will flash around the Crown Palladium as the Brownlow Medal count warms up.

Ninety minutes up the Calder, the party will be getting started in those old rooms at Camp Reserve.

A flyer on the door at the footy last Saturday reveals the feeling in the town.

“Who is the favourite for the Brownlow Medal? Our very own Castlemaine local Dustin Martin,” it read.

“Come on down to the social rooms …. on Monday, 25th September to cheer him on as a town.

“Let’s all get behind him and join together to show him how proud we are and to celebrate his amazing achievements as an elite AFL player. You will also be supporting our club and its ongoing ability to nurture and produce future champions.”

7738f803110c743ac9759d8947f01521

Dustin Martin pumping the weights before he was drafted by Richmond.
At the Five Flags Hotel, on the Midland Highway in Campbell’s Creek, there’s a party planned, too.

“I just know he’s going to win,” Steve Adamson says. “We’re going to have what’s called a Dustin Martini.”

Cider salesman Churchill says the whole district is proud of the one-time Magpie winger.

“As far as Castlemaine goes, we’ve never had anyone as good as him,” Churchill says.

“Apart from Ron Barassi, but he’s actually from Guilford.”

Maltby has two affiliations in the AFL now — St Kilda and Martin.

“I love following him obviously because he’s us. He’s part of the Castlemaine Football Club,” Maltby says.

“I think people have judged him a little bit for his tatts around his neck. It gives most people the impression he’s a rough diamond, a bad sort of a person, but he’s certainly not.

“He’s just one of the quiet boys, a quiet achiever.”
Nice little story. My folks live in Castlemaine, Dad used to go to the footy every week but struggles now because they've been AWFUL for a long time now!! Really nice ground to go to for an afternoon at the footy. I hadn't been for a while but last year we went to 2 games. We went to the first game this year which they won but they've been getting beaten by around 100 points every week since so I haven't got up there to go to another one and Dad hasn't gone again!!
I was going to post a pic of the ground but there is one included in the article.

Delicious, the gf's family have a house down that way and frequent regularly.

Ch 7 Salty much .
Tom Browne on the news "Dustin Martin has gone rogue " talking about his decision to sell his announcement and a couple of interviews to ch 9 .
F*****g gutter rat .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So glad stevo didn't get anything out of this

Carr used him as his PR mouthpiece and nothing more.

He got absolutely played

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-04/votes-record-decides-aflca-player-of-the-year-martin

yeah the boys

2017 Shadforth Financial Group AFLCA Champion Player (coaches votes)
1. Dustin Martin (Richmond) 122
2. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong) 118
3. Rory Sloane (Adelaide) 78
4. Zach Merrett (Essendon) 77
5. Tom Mitchell (Hawthorn) 76
6. Josh Kelly (Greater Western Sydney) 75
7. Clayton Oliver (Melbourne) 71
8. Matt Crouch (Adelaide) 68
8. Seb Ross (St Kilda) 68
8. Dayne Zorko (Brisbane Lions) 68

another accolade to add, nice record to have

Remove this Banner Ad