Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Same reason all the news articles had it

I was wondering the same thing

There were a couple of articles that implied suicide by using the links … many others didn’t

Then I read in later articles that the NZ Police had ruled out self-harm

There were a couple of articles that implied suicide by using the links … many others didn’t

That's good news, at the time it was added it didnt seem that way.

Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL

The only thing I read from NZ police was no suspicious circumstances.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Why is this here?
Tough time for all those close, like any bereavement, but why the mental health message?
Is someone making a massive assumption on cause?
I think there were some pretty quick assertions rightly or wrongly made when it was reported no suspicions circumstances , in this case they were seemingly wrong

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond
I think there were some pretty quick assertions rightly or wrongly made when it was reported no suspicions circumstances , in this case they were seemingly wrong

This is just a social media chat site, but to heavily imply Dustys dad committed suicide based on a News Ltd story is still a bit reckless. Think if you were close and you saw that implication. It’s distressing enough to lose the guy, but to add that anguish is just unnecessary. I get the best intentions drive the decision but it’s just not the sort of thing that should be messed around with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
This is just a social media chat site, but to heavily imply Dustys dad committed suicide based on a News Ltd story is still a bit reckless. Think if you were close and you saw that implication. It’s distressing enough to lose the guy, but to add that anguish is just unnecessary. I get the best intentions drive the decision but it’s just not the sort of thing that should be messed around with.
That my thoughts too , was a wild guess and I think pretty distasteful to Dusty’s family

Aug 25, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
No they didn’t in fact I failed to see it anywhere , and I read all mainstream reports

It was on every one i saw

I think they were on the stories originally, then the news sites removed them shortly after.

They were at the bottom of multiple articles and are still there now.

Last edited:

dustinlmartin4

Debutant
Apr 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

No autopsy done yet and his mate in article only said “suspected”.

The reason for death is still unknown and will remain silent unless the media get their hands on how.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I hope Dusty is doing OK on this, I think it will be worth us all remembering this if his 2022 season is below the level we expect from him.

He has been very open about 2 things in his life - his total love and admiration for his father & his battle with depression/mental health. It will be incredibly hard for him to get through this season without his mental health issues taking over at some point - its too big of a loss for him with too big of a existing mental health issue for it not to become an issue at some point. As fans & supporters of him we all need to do our bit to support and protect him when the s**t eventually (likely) hits the fan. I have no doubt he will mentally recover but I think it will be a immense struggle with many ups and downs. It will take time.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
I hope Dusty is doing OK on this, I think it will be worth us all remembering this if his 2022 season is below the level we expect from him.

He has been very open about 2 things in his life - his total love and admiration for his father & his battle with depression/mental health. It will be incredibly hard for him to get through this season without his mental health issues taking over at some point - its too big of a loss for him with too big of a existing mental health issue for it not to become an issue at some point. As fans & supporters of him we all need to do our bit to support and protect him when the sh*t eventually (likely) hits the fan. I have no doubt he will mentally recover but I think it will be a immense struggle with many ups and downs. It will take time.

One thing we know about Dusty is he puts a mountain of work into his mindfulness. He is incredibly mentally strong.
There is a murmur throughout AFL circles that if he decides to play in his fathers honour this year we could see another 17 type season. Being already lighter would mean he can stay on ball for longer stints. Playing with a lighter frame and a focused mind he could be scary. Remembering the amount of work he puts into with Emma Murray it could well be the case. For our sake I hope so.
For his sake I hope he finds inner peace.

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
One thing we know about Dusty is he puts a mountain of work into his mindfulness. He is incredibly mentally strong.
There is a murmur throughout AFL circles that if he decides to play in his fathers honour this year we could see another 17 type season. Being already lighter would mean he can stay on ball for longer stints. Playing with a lighter frame and a focused mind he could be scary. Remembering the amount of work he puts into with Emma Murray it could well be the case. For our sake I hope so.

"a murmur throughout AFL circles that if he decides to play in his fathers honour this year we could see another 17 type season".

I would dare say that anyone in AFL circles making such murmurs should just shut the * up. What a ridiculous comment for others to be making after the death of his father, especially with his very well known mental health struggles. "if he decides to"? The guy has lost his father and best friend - for people in the AFL circle to speculate that "if he decides to honor his father" he could win another Brownlow is quite frankly, gross & inappropriate. Dealing with grief and possibly guilt will not make him thrive to greater success, it will create more adversity that will make any success he has more great & admired, but I don't see grief being part of his success plan, it can only be an added challenge or should be only seen as such. Any success he has after it will always be dedicated to him, but not because of.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
"a murmur throughout AFL circles that if he decides to play in his fathers honour this year we could see another 17 type season".

I would dare say that anyone in AFL circles making such murmurs should just shut the fu** up. What a ridiculous comment for others to be making after the death of his father, especially with his very well known mental health struggles. "if he decides to"? The guy has lost his father and best friend - for people in the AFL circle to speculate that "if he decides to honor his father" he could win another Brownlow is quite frankly, gross & inappropriate. Dealing with grief and possibly guilt will not make him thrive to greater success, it will create more adversity that will make any success he has more great & admired, but I don't see grief being part of his success plan, it can only be an added challenge or should be only seen as such. Any success he has after it will always be dedicated to him, but not because of.

It was said with the utmost respect to me from a personal friend who is an assistant coach at another club. So don’t get your back up. It was said positively. So maybe you need to chill as it wasn’t meant with any disrespect what so ever.

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond

I would dare say that anyone in AFL circles making such murmurs should just shut the fu** up. What a ridiculous comment for others to be making after the death of his father, especially with his very well known mental health struggles. "if he decides to"? The guy has lost his father and best friend - for people in the AFL circle to speculate that

"if he decides to honor his father" he could win another Brownlow is quite frankly, gross & inappropriate. Dealing with grief and possibly guilt will not make him thrive to greater success, it will create more adversity that will make any success he has more great & admired, but I don't see grief being part of his success plan, it can only be an added challenge or should be only seen as such. Any success he has after it will always be dedicated to him, but not because of.

How about you take your own advice.
Grubby, self serving and inappropriate.

Give him the captaincy

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Extremely well said!

amc11

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
No I think there’s better candidates who lead better. Just because you’re a great player doesn’t mean leadership is your forte too

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It will be fascinating to hear how the process unfolds this year as I would imagine the past few years was more of a formality that Trent Cotchin would retain the captaincy.

Konrad Marshall's book Yellow & Black (chapter 10, page 93-102) describes how the 'Richmond Man' process came about for the players to vote on who they felt should be in the leadership group towards the start of the 2017 season which saw Jack Riewoldt come back into the fold.
As far as Dustin Martin and the captaincy role - who knows if that is a position he would want or even be prepared to take on. From the interview with Nick Riewoldt last year we know Dustin does consider himself a leader at the club and he doesn't appear to be alone in that thinking. Most senior club figures have endorsed the number 4's capacity to lead if he wanted the role. Situations, circumstances and mindset play a part as we don't know what the club will be looking to focus on during the captaincy process this season.

Kane Lambert had this to say about Dustin and leadership in Martin's book 'The Story Continues Dustin Martin':
"There's a narrative around what a leader should look like, and what they should do. But my view is that the greatest leaders are people who can understand who they are, and why they are, and from there they can have empathy, and understanding toward others, and no one does that better than Dustin. He never judges. He never degrades. He does things his way, but absolutely accepts your way."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back