4 Field Umpires..? Is this helping to reduce congestion

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IMO the best way to reduce congestion is simply pay a few more frees. Seems to me currently with 4 field umpires a few more frees are being paid , presumably because the umpires are in better position to pick them out. Pay a free kick players are forced to spread, the game opens up. ? Thoughts....

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
No

They are there to prepare to get used to having one more of their own out there for next year.
Then they will focus on how best to work with players needing to have starting positions at stoppages next season.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
IMO the best way to reduce congestion is simply pay a few more frees. Seems to me currently with 4 field umpires a few more frees are being paid , presumably because the umpires are in better position to pick them out. Pay a free kick players are forced to spread, the game opens up. ? Thoughts....

Will not make one single iota of difference. Just means more stop plays and more opportunity for teams to zone. Literally the only way to reduce congestion is too get everyone so tired they can't run around as much anymore.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Why bother with an extra umpire if they’re going to miss blatantly obvious frees like Dunn holding Curnow and preventing him from running and jumping at the ball?

All game all the extra umpire did was pick out garbage free kicks that are weak as piss and then spend the rest of their time mouthing off at players whenever there was a bit of push and shove.

It’s not like they’re finding the throws they miss or anything like that.

This isn’t a Carlton related rant either. It’s heen a theme in all of the games with four umpires, I just noticed it a lot more today as I was at the game.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Each umpire has a slightly different slant on their officiating, 4 umpires just means consistently more inconsistency re interpretation of rules.

More head wobbling and WTFs in the crowd and the TV audience.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Four of them and are still paying incorrect fifties to the Blues gifting them goals on two occasions.

1st 1 was there what was the second? Still 4 umps don't work. They just get in the way.

I'd nearly go back to 2. Notice how the most correct calls are given by the ump 60m away who has a clear view to assess the situation and is not running round like a blue arsed fly barking instructions. In a ball up nearest ump (field or boundary should just throw it up).

Dwhale44

Cancelled
Feb 13, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Why bother with an extra umpire if they’re going to miss blatantly obvious frees like Dunn holding Curnow and preventing him from running and jumping at the ball?

All game all the extra umpire did was pick out garbage free kicks that are weak as piss and then spend the rest of their time mouthing off at players whenever there was a bit of push and shove.

It’s not like they’re finding the throws they miss or anything like that.

This isn’t a Carlton related rant either. It’s heen a theme in all of the games with four umpires, I just noticed it a lot more today as I was at the game.
Was at the game today and as a neutral supporter without any bias towards other team I agree the umpiring was amateur at best at times throughout the game.

Kickitlong!

Draftee
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Instead of having 4 umpires on the field, why not have one on the bench and they can rotate each quarter. That way there’s only 3 actually officiating during play and they can still do more than one game a weekend.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
The other thing as well is that there’s no consistency. One umpire will be hot on dropping the ball, while the other 3 will all umpire it differently.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Instead of having 4 umpires on the field, why not have one on the bench and they can rotate each quarter. That way there’s only 3 actually officiating during play and they can still do more than one game a weekend.

Umpires rotating themselves each quarter is probably the best euphemism I've seen on these forums

Back