Toast 4 forwards with 30 goals plus

WHE - 39
Degoey - 34
Thomas - 33
Stephenson - 30

Last couple years we have been to reliant on either one man or midfielders to kick goals.

Huge effort by the forward line coaches to have these 4 blokes kick 30+ goals

I can't remember the last time we had 4 players with 30+ in the one season.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
WHE - 39
Degoey - 34
Thomas - 33
Stephenson - 30

Last couple years we have been to reliant on either one man or midfielders to kick goals.

degoey would be 40+ if he didn't miss games.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
WHE - 39
Degoey - 34
Thomas - 33
Stephenson - 30

By seasons end I’d be willing to bet it’ll be multiple 40+ goal kickers.

Degoaley is capable of getting them this week.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
WHE - 39
Degoey - 34
Thomas - 33
Stephenson - 30

2002 was the last time we had 4 or more players scoring 30+ goals for the year (inc. finals), with 5 players getting there. Prior to 2002, 1990 (with 4 players) was the previous time we achieved this.

So we're doing very nicely in 2018!

Last edited:

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
This shows how every club currently sits for players with 20+ goals in 2018:
upload_2018-8-13_21-29-27.png

Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good thread and OP.

Seriously we have been undermanned most of the year but these lads have been one of the key reasons we are close to a top 8/top 4 birth.

Thomas, WHE, Stephenson, DeGoey are going to cause headaches for a few years now I would have thought.
Hopefully we can get Elliott in there too.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lynch has kicked more than 44 once. We have 2 who will or should have done that this year. He is super overated for the money
He does have 66 and 46 from the only two seasons where he has played 22 games. The year he scored 44 he only played 19 games, and he also managed 43 from 20 games in another season. This year he had 20 goals from 10 games played, so was on track for around 44 again.

It's been brilliant the way our "makeshift" forward line has functioned, but I am still hoping we can land this big fish, because I think he could make us even better.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lynch has kicked more than 44 once. We have 2 who will or should have done that this year. He is super overated for the money

Twice actually (66 - 2016; 46 - 2014) to go with his 44 (2017) and 43 (2015). Has averaged 2 goals or better every season since 2014.

Edit: What 35D said.

Last edited:
2002 was the last time we had 4 or more players scoring 30+ goals for the year (inc. finals), with 5 players getting there. Prior to 2002, 1990 (with 4 players) was the previous time we achieved this.

Who were the players at a guess i would say

Tarrant
Rocca
Davis
Fraser

Mark W

All Australian
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

And yet our KPF, the one who has played all season is currently sitting on a grand total of 18 goals....I find the argument that we dont need Lynch quite perplexing

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
And yet our KPF, the one who has played all season is currently sitting on a grand total of 18 goals....I find the argument that we dont need Lynch quite perplexing

Hmmm, I was thinking Cox was our KPF/2nd ruck, Mihocek currently our only true KPF at the moment. Given Cox spends 15-20% of the game sitting on the bench and another similar amount giving Grundy a chop out in the ruck, he's doing okay. Could actually be better but he's missed a few you'd normally pencil in for him.

Rohan25

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Who were the players at a guess i would say

Tarrant
Rocca
Davis
Fraser

Looks right to me. Both L and N Davis would have kicked 30 that year for mine. Geez that was a dangerous forward line. Dids wouldn’t have been far off 30 goals either.

Is that the KPF / Ruck who has kicked 18 goals in 18 games? (Cox)

Or the KPF who has kicked 18 goals in 10 games (9 as KPF)? (Mihocek)

It's been brilliant the way our "makeshift" forward line has functioned, but I am still hoping we can land this big fish, because I think he could make us even better.

Sure, Lynch would make our forward line better ...

... but he would come at a high cost, and would he offer the best value for our money?

So lock in a grand final berth then?

Or the fact that DeGoey is actually playing 95% of games as a KPF?

People forget that he's 6'3" and 90 odd kilos.

Mark W

All Australian
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

I did write the "one who has played all season", so it was blinding obvious which player I was referring to...

On Mihocek, his return, so far, has been very good. A remarkable goal output from a pretty low number of disposals a game. He is a very efficient player. But it is a very small sample size. For example, we have seen Fas have great half seasons many times, but he has never managed to turn it into a 30 goal plus season...I will be fascinated to see if Mihocek can keep it up. Stylistically, I also really question how conventionally he is playing like a KPF. Seems to me he is playing more a role of a tall flanker type with many of his goals are opportunist goals as we saw on Saturday rather then conventional KPF goals that might come from crunching pack marks, or authoritative leads. But, as I say, its early days yet.

Back