4 from 6 - Rucks and KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s hands from watching him in VFL games have been very good both marking and on the ground which has been surprising with the easy marks his missed, maybe the humid/slippery conditions may have been a factor... No doubt we will see his strong marking back and improved next season, he’ll sit on some heads too and take some rippers... He should mainly play as our #1 ruckman most of the year with different combinations of support depending on club opponents, his still another 12mths of development before shouldering most of the load on a weekly basis...
Didn't he play as a midfielder when he was younger? Only moving to ruck when he shot up in height recently.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn't he play as a midfielder when he was younger? Only moving to ruck when he shot up in height recently.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not sure, I had heard the story of a kid playing as a midfielder in their junior years before having a serious growth spurt and becoming a ruckman ‘English’ ?? just can’t remember who or if it was TDK...

McGovern to the backline makes sense: it’s the logical path for forwards who can’t find the ball, and his penetrating kick is exactly what we need down there to clear presses. He and Weitering as a combo gives us two kicking options and with Saad and Willo two running options - that’s lots of of rebound power. Plus, his brither is the best CHB in the comp. seems a no brainer to me

Up forward, Casboult, McKay, Curnow rotating with a ruck. Means we can always have two targets on the ground, even with injury

Horses for courses in the ruck depending on opponent. Some weeks could also rest/rotate a forward too and keep them fresh.

All of which assumes we have no injuries to our KP stocks, which hasn’t happened ever (except Brisbane/Richmond)

If i was picking the side i would Play Harry, Charlie and JSOS. Would use Harry to Pinch hit with TDK the Solo ruck. Would play Pitt if TDK is going to be up against a big burley ruckman like Witts.

I feel tdk needs to be the solo ruckman next year. He has shown he can compete with the best and will only get better with game time. If we come up against a bruiser like mummy, we play 2 ruckman

When Pitto is rucking he should drop back into the defensive 'hole' rather than going forward. A bit like McEvoy.

Did my head in all this year, we had Casboult and McKay playing forward and our ruckman would take the ruck in our forward line. That was a bad one IMO. Especially when the ball would often come out long on the 45, predictable as ever to where our ruckman should have been.

We don't seem to use our rucks defensively at all. Would love to see our ruckmen sit a kick behind play more often.

I would consider Curnow CHF, McKay FF. 3rd tall a mobile option like McGovern or Silvagni and they part time ruck.

Manage our ruckmen a bit better, no rucking in the forward line, McKay takes those or Silvagni/McGovern do if he can't. Our rucks stay a kick behind play more often. A lot less ground to cover and helps our side defend.

I think TDK will be our main ruck, at least by the end of next season. He's a bit light now but that will change. Needs game time and will be a very good player. I Like Pittonett and he can fill in a lot of games but I think TDK will go past him at some stage.

Push our ruckmen hard and rest them more. TDK gets fitter this season he will be fine in this role. Pitto plays every 4th or 5th week or whenever TDK is sore.

All this is really not that different to what Richmond have been doing for years. It's exactly what richmond have been doing for years.

Gun very tall forward Lynch. McKay for us.
Gun mobile running machine tall forward, Riewoldt. Curnow for us.
Mid sized player to pinch hit in the ruck, Grigg, Balta etc. McGovern or Silvagni for us.
Rucks they rotate in and out of the team Nankervis, Soldo, Chol. Us Pittonett, TDK and perhaps one other.

I don't think Levi fits in there when everyone is fit. Hard running is too big of a part of footy. He's great backup for a number of positions though. Key forward, forward/ruck, key back and ruck.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back