#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst comes to worst we can throw him forward as another medium marking target.

Must tag Sidebottom this week. He plays wing/forward so Harmes won’t impact our preferred centre square mix if he follows Sidey all day.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have heard he may not be playing shortly, fingers crossed it's this week...

He's a liability currently and has been for almost the entire year.

He's a see ball get ball type and gets completely lost in defensive transition. Confidence is rock bottom, can't handball, can't kick, cant do anything right.

Should be dropped for Nev or Rivers. There's probably a spot for him in our half forward merry go round if he wants it.

Much better player than he's showing. Probably never gonna be that player in defence though. Most likely gets traded to a Carlton for pick 42 and ends up a really useful player for them

I reckon it's time to move him up forward, our mid sized forwards aren't applying much pressure so get him into the game with his leap and pressure.

Go forward or GTFO. A couple of us were voicing our concern when we signed him for so long. Was dumb then, looks even dumber now. Been awful this year. Hasn't fired a shot.

The five year contract was another Pert/Mahoney pearler. Was anyone else actually offering him a five year deal? Why would we do it? Even if they were, then we sell him for a good price given how high his value was at the end of last year.

We have three better inside midfielders and another who is comparable, but we still sign him up for five years and signpost the fact that we're hopeless negotiators. He's played with the attitude of a guy who knows his future is safe. With respect to him, he hasn't got anywhere near the natural talent of a high draft pick, he's made his career on graft. That tag job he did on Zorko was embarrassing. He's not working for his bread anymore.

Just irresponsible decision making from a club that loves to get ahead of itself whenever someone exceeds mediocrity for a while.

The only players on our list worth five years guaranteed from now are Gawn, Oliver and Petracca. I wouldn't even give five to Weideman, despite how well he is playing, three is plenty for most players.

The five year contract was another Pert/Mahoney pearler. Was anyone else actually offering him a five year deal? Why would we do it? Even if they were, then we sell him for a good price given how high his value was at the end of last year.

We have three better inside midfielders and another who is comparable, but we still sign him up for five years and signpost the fact that we're hopeless negotiators. He's played with the attitude of a guy who knows his future is safe. With respect to him, he hasn't got anywhere near the natural talent of a high draft pick, he's made his career on graft. That tag job he did on Zorko was embarrassing. He's not working for his bread anymore.

Just irresponsible decision making from a club that loves to get ahead of itself whenever someone exceeds mediocrity for a while.

The only players on our list worth five years guaranteed from now are Gawn, Oliver and Petracca. I wouldn't even give five to Weideman, despite how well he is playing, three is plenty for most players.

People will call you hindsight Harry, but not me mate. Love the post. 100% agree. ♥ 5 year deals for role players, in what world? 😂. Dropping truth bombs all over the place.

The "he's not suited playing in the backline" excuse has run dry, he's played enough footy now to be well aware of how to play in defence if he's asked to do so.

There comes a time where you just have to start taking some pride in your own performance. Not sure he cares enough tbh. That's probably why he pisses me off as much as he does. That and the stupid smile on his face after yet another * up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean why don't we just play old slow Nev instead honestly? At least you know he'll pay his direct opponent more than lip service despite not being able to keep up these days.

His disposal is certainly no worse than Harmes' is right now.

Harmes was crap at the start of 2018 playing in defence, everyone said he was s**t then they moved him into the midfield and everyone said he was great, now they've moved him to into the backline again and he's s**t.
Same as Brayshaw. If they don't wanna play him through the midfield then trade him out for someone who can play the roles. Plenty of clubs would take Harmes

Last edited:
Harmes was crap at the start of 2018 playing in defence, everyone said he was sh*t then they moved him into the midfield and everyone said he was great, now they've moved him to into the backline again and he's sh*t.
Same as Brayshaw. If they don't wanna play him through the midfield then trade him out for someone who can play the roles. Plenty of clubs would take Harmes

Playing in the backline isn't as hard as its made out to be, not much different to being a tagger in the midfield. Priority #1 is your man, priority #2 is get the ball. You can still get plenty of possessions and be influential on counter attacks if you aren't as thick as a plank (which is more than likely the case with old Jimmy), but maybe it's just case of Harmes putting himself ahead of the team, he racks disriprine....?

That's not to excuse Goody here either. s**t coaching and direction either way, the fact he is still playing this badly as a backman this far into the season reflects terribly on him.

Playing in the backline isn't as hard as its made out to be, not much different to being a tagger in the midfield. Priority #1 is your man, priority #2 is get the ball. You can still get plenty of possessions and be influential on counter attacks if you aren't as thick as a plank (which is more than likely the case with old Jimmy), but maybe it's just case of Harmes putting himself ahead of the team, he racks disriprine....?

I don't know, Harmes ain't Sam Mitchell but there's a little difference especially with our zone system. Tagging you can just stand next to the same bloke, defending these days your opponent can change 4 times in the one passage of play.

Harmes ain't Hodge, he's a meat and potato midfielder who had a few tricks up his sleeve but like alot of our players has to be within a metre of the ball at all times to be useful.

Essendon would be stupid not to get him and I'm sure there's some soft outside bloke we could swap him for so it's win win

I don't know, Harmes ain't Sam Mitchell but there's a little difference especially with our zone system. Tagging you can just stand next to the same bloke, defending these days your opponent can change 4 times in the one passage of play.

Harmes ain't Hodge, he's a meat and potato midfielder who had a few tricks up his sleeve but like alot of our players has to be within a metre of the ball at all times to be useful.

Essendon would be stupid not to get him and I'm sure there's some soft outside bloke we could swap him for so it's win win

The zoning and stuff I get, it can take a while to adjust. You do need a smart head on your shoulders.

It's more the simple things like finding a man in defensive transition and not getting sucked towards the ball that drive me bonkers. Every AFL player should be able to master that. It's something that is taught to kids in juniors.

Hibbo is pretty much a perfect role model for Harmsey, definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed but he balances attack and defense beautifully. Should be watching his game and trying to copy it. There is no reason why Harmes shouldn't be able to play in a similar style.

The zoning and stuff I get, it can take a while to adjust. You do need a smart head on your shoulders.

It's more the simple things like finding a man in defensive transition and not getting sucked towards the ball that drive me bonkers. Every AFL player should be able to master that. It's something that is taught to kids in juniors.
My main question of the coaches would be do they see Harmes playing 7 seasons in defence or is he just a bloke they like finding a role in the team.

This s**t happens way too often at our club, whether you like him or not we developed a rookie into a very good player for a little while and then completely reversed all the work.

Hibbo is pretty much a perfect role model for Harmsey, definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed but he balances attack and defense beautifully. Should be watching his game and trying to copy it. There is no reason why Harmes shouldn't be able to play in a similar style.

Maybe thats why he's down there, he is very similar in his skillset. Can't really teach someone to play with Hibbos intensity though.

Maybe thats why he's down there, he is very similar in his skillset. Can't really teach someone to play with Hibbos intensity though.

Hibbo's intensity is an attitude thing. 100% Harmes has it in him. I've seen it. When he gets told to go and shut Danger down and is all over him like white on rice. Probably another reason he pisses me off so much. I know he's capable of far better than this.

My main question of the coaches would be do they see Harmes playing 7 seasons in defence or is he just a bloke they like finding a role in the team.

This sh*t happens way too often at our club, whether you like him or not we developed a rookie into a very good player for a little while and then completely reversed all the work..

It's s**t by Goodwin because he cant even organise a midfield to have with 6 or 7 blokes rotating through there. He turns what should be a strength into a 4 man rotation with no flexibility.

We should be resting Trac forward way more often. Same with Clarry.

I would assume the 5 year deal would have been offered to him to lower his yearly salary request

Remove this Banner Ad

Back