#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

most of you campaigners on here wanted him gone at the end of 2017

He fired up, finished top three in the b&f in 2018. His 2019 wasn't too bad either

i'm backing him to bounce back and I'll look on with pleasure when you campaigners all start praising him when he bounces back again

most of you campaigners on here wanted him gone at the end of 2017

He fired up, finished top three in the b&f in 2018. His 2019 wasn't too bad either

i'm backing him to bounce back and I'll look on with pleasure when you campaigners all start praising him when he bounces back again

Hope you're right mate.

I like him but I just don't ******* understand why he is being played in defence. Goodwin really loves throwing guys into a position they don't play well.

Brayshaw on the wing
Jones anywhere outside the center square
Fritsch in defence
Tyson on the wing
Harmes in defence

Still think we should trade Brayshaw and play Harmes as a farken tagger week in week out. Brayshaw will net us a lot more at the trade table and the midfield will have a much better balance.

I wonder what we could have gotten for him at the end of last year in a trade. He can’t even leave as a free agent now :'(

He wont be traded under Goodwin regardless of our opinions on him . Clearly he loves the bloke. Goody wont be satisfied until he's driven his trade value completely into the ground and is a deliasting for when the new coach comes in.

The problem with Harmes is the same problem we had with brayshaw only a few weeks ago, he can't play in a second position. We have 5 players (Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes) fighting for 4 midfield spots, 1 player is always going to be squeezed out and it is harmes at the moment. When I look at those names the only player that can play a second position effectively is Petracca. It may be unpopular considering how good a season he's had but I believe Petracca needs to play more forward so that harmes can go into the midfield to be a tagger. It's a problem that won't be able to be solved until the off season, I think we should be moving on Viney or Brayshaw to get a player in a position of need, and then 4 players will fit into the 4 midfield spots as well.

I still believe when used in the right role (inside mid tagger) Harmes is one of most important players as he was in 2018. His influence defensively around stoppages was immense and whilst he doesn't do the flashy stuff I believe he is just as valuable to the team as the other mids I mentioned, when used in the right position.

When I said players should be rested forward more such as Trac and Clarry it's not rocket science. The less time they spend on the ball the fresher players remain.

You can still use your guns for extended periods at critcal moments and late in games when you need them.

Why we are limiting ourselves to a four man rotation when we have endless players options to throw at and wear down the opposition is anyone's guess.

Everyone should easily be able to get some midfield minutes rotating on and off the bench and as forwards.

When I said players should be rested forward more such as Trac and Clarry it's not rocket science. The less time they spend on the ball the fresher players remain.

You can still use your guns for extended periods at critcal moments and late in games when you need them.

Why we are limiting ourselves to a four man rotation when we have endless players options to throw at and wear down the opposition is anyone's guess.

Everyone should easily be able to get some midfield minutes rotating on and off the bench and as forwards.
Imagine even if our GOAT ruck went to those forward stoppages and we had 1-2 of our best mids at the fall of the ball there? radical thinking I know but that's why I'm on the big bucks.

Imagine even if our GOAT ruck went to those forward stoppages and we had 1-2 of our best mids at the fall of the ball there? radical thinking I know but that's why I'm on the big bucks.

This is genius

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't be at the club in 12 months if we keep persisting with him in defence.
What a way to throw concrete boots on a promising career...

I can't believe this is the same bloke who looked so aggressive and confident in 2018, and who also had a solid 2019 with those others around him being mostly ordinary.

Here is a break down on his 2020 vs 2019
Possessions 15 vs 24.5
Clangers 3.9 vs 3
Effective disposals 8.5 vs 16
Ground ball gets 4.2 vs 8
Metres gained 184m vs 369m

If he is being employed as a rebound defender, then surely these stats in terms of metres gained combined with clangers show how it's not working. He's also only averaging 3.4 effective kicks this year.

It's beyond comprehension why it's been allowed to continue. Fritsch last year I could understand with injuries.

This change is more idiotic than McLean playing out the goal square 10 years ago. I actually feel embarrassed for harmes being put in this position

Ruined his confidence leaving him at half back where he's been floundering. I guess with no VFL hes been backed in to learn the role on the job but has failed miserably.

He can run with another mid in a tagging role and tackle fiercely, but he's no good at half back with the play unfolding before him. Gets sucked in and doesn't have the intensity/desperation to get back and defend. I could hack it if he was generating run off half back but he's not even doing that and when he does get the footy his disposal has been ordinary. Rivers has provided more drive off half back in the limited games he has had than Harmes.

He's much more instinctive making the play in the front half and can actually weight a pass going forward. Could be trade bait, I'm sure a number of teams would love him.

Ruined his confidence leaving him at half back where he's been floundering. I guess with no VFL hes been backed in to learn the role on the job but has failed miserably.

He can run with another mid in a tagging role and tackle fiercely, but he's no good at half back with the play unfolding before him. Gets sucked in and doesn't have the intensity/desperation to get back and defend. I could hack it if he was generating run off half back but he's not even doing that and when he does get the footy his disposal has been ordinary. Rivers has provided more drive off half back in the limited games he has had than Harmes.

He's much more instinctive making the play in the front half and can actually weight a pass going forward. Could be trade bait, I'm sure a number of teams would love him.
No way we trade him, right now he wouldn't get a top 50 pick.

With his fitness and dash, he should be better suited in the front half as you say.

Shame we have an absolute pelican in our coaches box.

Good luck to Wagner and McDonald coming back in but Christ if you can't get harmes playing a decent role in the team you deserve a paddlin.

If you're getting dropped and replaced by a Wagner, then you know your career is in the balance. Deserved to be dropped, but I would have prefered him to be tried half forward before being dropped. Coaches have destroyed his confidence by playing him out of position. Tradebait now, but not sure what we'd get for him.

No way we trade him, right now he wouldn't get a top 50 pick.

With his fitness and dash, he should be better suited in the front half as you say.

Shame we have an absolute pelican in our coaches box.

Good luck to Wagner and McDonald coming back in but Christ if you can't get harmes playing a decent role in the team you deserve a paddlin.

this is interesting. is pelican > peanut, or about the same

it’s like we don’t have a coach on match day - so I guess pelican would be an improvement

I’m adding it to my favorite new terms

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back