#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're getting dropped and replaced by a Wagner, then you know your career is in the balance.

Hard for a career to be in the balance when he has 4 more years to run on his contract.

Maybe his career at Melbourne, but James will still be on an AFL list (or getting paid) for a while.

We've turned Brayshaw around, either our club or another will find a way to get the best out of Harmes again. We're in a fine spot - either force a club to give us something good for him, or keep him on the list. There are a ton of other crabs or old blokes on our list that will be shown the door first.

Hard for a career to be in the balance when he has 4 more years to run on his contract.

Maybe his career at Melbourne, but James will still be on an AFL list (or getting paid) for a while.

We've turned Brayshaw around, either our club or another will find a way to get the best out of Harmes again. We're in a fine spot - either force a club to give us something good for him, or keep him on the list. There are a ton of other crabs or old blokes on our list that will be shown the door first.

Harmes just hasn’t had a good start to his career shift down back. It’s all that is. Chalk it up to adjustment. He is far too good a footballer to be kept down. He does need to find a way to fit in down back though, because he adds an important piece should he find form - another great kick, and the ability to hit running targets. Harmes will bounce back. Even at his worst he is better than both McDonald brothers, Hannan, Wagners, and many others who lumber around.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harmes just hasn’t had a good start to his career shift down back. It’s all that is. Chalk it up to adjustment. He is far too good a footballer to be kept down. He does need to find a way to fit in down back though, because he adds an important piece should he find form - another great kick, and the ability to hit running targets. Harmes will bounce back. Even at his worst he is better than both McDonald brothers, Hannan, Wagners, and many others who lumber around.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wagner and Hannan dont lumber round at all you dumb campaigner.

The Wagner hate in particular I find amusing. Everyone only sees the crap stuff he does, no one gives him kudos for the good. Was far better than Harmes in a similar role on the weekend. His closing speed and ability to spoil his opponent on the lead is one of his significant strengths.

Hannan had a shocker on the weekend but his forward pressure has been the best out of all our smaller forwards this year.

Last edited:
Wagner and Hannan dont lumber round at all you dumb campaigner.

The Wagner hate in particular I find amusing. Everyone only sees the crap stuff he does, no one gives him kudos for the good. Was far better than Harmes in a similar role on the weekend. His closing speed and ability to spoil his opponent on the lead is one of his significant strengths.

Hannan had a shocker on the weekend but his forward pressure has been the best out of all our smaller forwards this year.

Yeh Wagner is a more natural half back flank, would rather him there than Harmes, but that's not saying a lot. Wagner happy to be defending a guy all match, you just don't want him getting the ball when he has time to think about it, that's where he can undo all his efforts in one shot.

Yeh Wagner is a more natural half back flank, would rather him there than Harmes, but that's not saying a lot. Wagner happy to be defending a guy all match, you just don't want him getting the ball when he has time to think about it, that's where he can undo all his efforts in one shot.

Yea, I'm not saying he doesn't have weakness, his disposal is inconsistent at best. But to say he lumbers around is pretty clueless.

As I said in the gameday thread, he's one of the hardest players on our list, not that anyone wants to admit it. I don't doubt his commitment whatsoever. Have seen him put his body over the ball and take some massive hits, can make a fantastic tackle too.

Yea, I'm not saying he doesn't have weakness, his disposal is inconsistent at best. But to say he lumbers around is pretty clueless.

As I said in the gameday thread, he's one of the hardest players on our list, not that anyone wants to admit it. I don't doubt his commitment whatsoever. Have seen him put his body over the ball and take some massive hits, can make a fantastic tackle too.
Yeah agreed I've never hated Wagner like anyone else, has a neat kick on him, is tough and is a natural defender. Very much a Hibberd light

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe 2 years were wasted playing him anywhere but where he excels, he has been fantastic since the move back to the middle, he destroyed Libba last night
4D chess by Mahns: told Goody to play him there and drive his salary down to fit everyone in the cap.

4D chess by Mahns: told Goody to play him there and drive his salary down to fit everyone in the cap.

No we signed him to a five year deal off his 2017-18 form. It was anything but 4d chess. 1d chess?

I don’t mind what it was now he is back playing where he always should have been, novel idea to play guys where they excel, I like Goodwins outside the box thinking, long may it continue.

I wanted Sparrow in after watching the VFL game where they both played well in a smashing against North.

Happy to admit I was wrong. Still feel for Sparrow being constant sub and VFL not playing much, but Harmes is really back to playing great footy nullifying openents, and making them pay up forward.

Harmes is not the most cerebral dude, he just needs the task of just shutting down a dude but he can't be trusted in defense because he can't resist chasing the ball. Should be a tagger every game either in the middle or forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back