#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I think you guys seriously underrate Enright. I'll admit he's one of my favourite players outside of the Dees - if you think he was just a solid, unspectacular player, then that says more about your understanding of the game. Bloke could read the game as well anyone, pretty much always beat his opponent, was always calm and composed and a very good ball user. Nev Jetta is the closest on our list to Enright and Jetta at his best could only do a comparable job defensively without racking up the same number of possessions and rebound out of the back half.

You guys want to argue Harmes is an A Grader but then compare him to one of the best players of the modern era. Why don't you shoot a little lower? Harmes is definitely as good as Nic Fosdike was.
I say Harmes is an A Grader. The Wagners are going to have to stay alert to retain their edge on him

Yeah, I think you guys seriously underrate Enright. I'll admit he's one of my favourite players outside of the Dees - if you think he was just a solid, unspectacular player, then that says more about your understanding of the game. Bloke could read the game as well anyone, pretty much always beat his opponent, was always calm and composed and a very good ball user. Nev Jetta is the closest on our list to Enright and Jetta at his best could only do a comparable job defensively without racking up the same number of possessions and rebound out of the back half.

You guys want to argue Harmes is an A Grader but then compare him to one of the best players of the modern era. Why don't you shoot a little lower? Harmes is definitely as good as Nic Fosdike was.
It took Enright a long time to become the player that he was. Was a star in one of the greatest teams of all times but Harmes is tracking about the same as where Enright was at the same point in their careers.

I say Harmes is an A Grader. The Wagners are going to have to stay alert to retain their edge on him

Yes but you're a pathological liar and only come on here to stir up s**t. You're worse than G2B and TK. If you agree with the other guys that's just more evidence that Harmes is a B Grader.

It took Enright a long time to become the player that he was. Was a star in one of the greatest teams of all times but Harmes is tracking about the same as where Enright was at the same point in their careers.

It really didn't. You want to compare a medium-small defender to a midfielder come part-time forward for recognition, be my guest. If you want to make a more appropriate comparison between Harmes and a Geelong great, then he probably plays more like Paul Chapman, and he's no ******* Paul Chapman. Anyway, enough of having a dull conversation about how good Harmes is never going to be. I don't have an issue with him getting a five year contract because we've offered better terms to worse players, but he's not a budding star of the competition either.

Yes but you're a pathological liar and only come on here to stir up s**t. You're worse than G2B and TK. If you agree with the other guys that's just more evidence that Harmes is a B Grader.
Nobody is worse than G2B and TK

It really didn't. You want to compare a medium-small defender to a midfielder come part-time forward for recognition, be my guest. If you want to make a more appropriate comparison between Harmes and a Geelong great, then he probably plays more like Paul Chapman, and he's no ******* Paul Chapman. Anyway, enough of having a dull conversation about how good Harmes is never going to be. I don't have an issue with him getting a five year contract because we've offered better terms to worse players, but he's not a budding star of the competition either.
Boy are you going to be sorry when Harmes wins nine best and fairests. To be fair only eight of them will be in premiership years, but it won't be his fault that we lose to Tasmania by 223 points in the 2031 grand final.

What? Show me a highlights reel of Enright’s career and it would be the definition of unspectacular. It will be good though and he was undoubtedly a champ. Anyway just because a player reminds you of a past champion in a particular way isn’t the same as saying “this player is as good as this past champion of the game”. I don’t think Harmes is as good as Enright. But I like the way he’s tracking and believe he will be an a grader if he isn’t already. If you have to be as good as Corey Enright in his prime by age 24 to be an a grader then only a handful of players in the history of the game would qualify.

Boy are you going to be sorry when Harmes wins nine best and fairests. To be fair only eight of them will be in premiership years, but it won't be his fault that we lose to Tasmania by 223 points in the 2031 grand final.

If he doesn't win 12 B&Fs, 6 Norms, 5 Brownlows and 3 Colemans, he's no better than Jace Bode.

What? Show me a highlights reel of Enright’s career and it would be the definition of unspectacular. It will be good though and he was undoubtedly a champ. Anyway just because a player reminds you of a past champion in a particular way isn’t the same as saying “this player is as good as this past champion of the game”. I don’t think Harmes is as good as Enright. But I like the way he’s tracking and believe he will be an a grader if he isn’t already. If you have to be as good as Corey Enright in his prime by age 24 to be an a grader then only a handful of players in the history of the game would qualify.

I think that says a bit about how you view the game. I enjoyed watching Enright work. Comparing a midfielder to a defender and arguing they go quietly about their business isn't really the requirement for the respective job positions. In any case, you're the one who brought Enright up, I'm just saying its a daft comparison.

I think that says a bit about how you view the game. I enjoyed watching Enright work. Comparing a midfielder to a defender and arguing they go quietly about their business isn't really the requirement for the respective job positions. In any case, you're the one who brought Enright up, I'm just saying its a daft comparison.
Of course you can compare Harmes with Enright when saying that they are both super reliable but unspectacular players. It’s not the same as saying Harmes will be or is as good as Enright. I concede that Enright is probably too extreme a case to make comparisons with though since he performed consistently at a super high level in one of the greatest teams of all time.

If I had guessed a few days back where the next random argument might erupt on this board I would never have guessed it would be on the James Harmes player watch thread.

It’s probably my favourite aspect of Bigfooty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice melt again
Harmes finished 3rd in 2018 as well so back to back top 5 finishes, Petracca has never finished top 5 or close to it the inconsistency of your posts is a good laugh.
Nothing funnier than your posts peanut. Nothing inconsistent about what I'm saying at all. I've been an advocate for Petracca. Have stated many times he had a better season than most give him credit for. I've also stated that Harmes is a good honest player. He will never be a star. Petracca has the potential to be one, Harmes doesn't. That's not a knock on Harmes, it is what it is. He's consistently good at what he does. And get your facts right buddy. Petracca had his best year yet, and did finish in the top 5 in the b&f. And you call me inconsistent! Haha. Cheers for the laugh peanut...

Harmes is a B Grader. That's no horrific put-down of the bloke. None of Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney or Salem are A Grade players. Gawn and Oliver are, and there are some others who could be if form and fitness allow it. We don't have a list full of high level talent. We didn't finish second last by accident this year.
Harmes is getting the best out of his ability unlike some you mention. Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney and Salem all have higher ceiling's than Harmes. All these guys have the potential(yes dirty word) to become A grade talents of the AFL (IMO). Yes, Harmes is a good player. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. But IMO(yes my opinion) he will never become a genuine star. Doubtful Salem, Viney, Brayshaw or Petracca all will either, but I believe all have more potential to be one than Harmes. Viney maybe the only one out of that lot to match James Harmes on enthusiasm for the club and heart. That alone probably got Harmes an extra year on his contract. Genuinely loves the club. Lovely guy. Had many chats with him. Same with Petracca. Got a lot of time for both those blokes.

Point is that there isn’t much going on to talk about in the off season

Oh, totally agree. Expect once we actually get past the draft in 19 weeks time or however long the AFL have dragged the process out, it'll die off until we get to the pre-season games.

Where he was picked has little to do with his current performance. He's an above average player but not up there with the elite or exceptional players in the competition. He's not in remotely the same class as Enright at Geelong - Enright was a 6 time All Australian and won two B&Fs in Premiership years. Harmes is placing top 5 for a s**t club and isn't in AA discussions.

Hmm well that's just not true.
If Harmes was given the free run in midfield of Oliver I reckon he would out up some pretty big numbers aswell and he would definitely hit the scoreboard more often.

Harmes was inconsistent to begin with because he played a new position every week, settling him into the midfield is what started him off.

Also if you are picking random Geelong players too compare him too it's Ling or Kelly

Hmm well that's just not true.
If Harmes was given the free run in midfield of Oliver I reckon he would out up some pretty big numbers aswell and he would definitely hit the scoreboard more often.

Harmes was inconsistent to begin with because he played a new position every week, settling him into the midfield is what started him off.

Also if you are picking random Geelong players too compare him too it's Ling or Kelly

Context. The "where he was picked" is where in the draft, not where on the field he plays.

Amazing how positive news about signing up one of our best players for the long term can turn into so much negativity about the club (and player). A-grader or B-grader who cares. One mans A-Grader is another’s B-grader - that rating is completely subjective. Keen observers (and obviously the club) will know he has been playing on and regularly beating the oppositions best midfielders and just keeps getting better and better. Has the rare ability to both stop them and hurt them going the other way.

Harmesy is exactly the sort of player we should be locking into long-term contracts so we build a nucleus of players with the right attributes on and off the field to bring success. It’s basically a 4 year extension instead of the minimum 3 he would have needed to keep him at the club if he signed next year. Can’t believe people have such an issue with that.

Well done to the footy department and congrats Harmesy - thoroughly deserved and excited to watch more continued improvement over the next 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back