#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
What if his form tapers off and he’s battling to make the 22 by 2022, or his ankle or knee collapses in a heap at pretty much any time?

When did the MFC become a charity?

What if his form tapers off and he’s battling to make the 22 by 2022, or his ankle or knee collapses in a heap at pretty much any time?

Ok mate, I think we get it, you don't like him or rate him very highly. But what happens if Gawny all of a sudden becomes a Trappist Monk, or Clarry finds his true calling and decides that it is time to spend the next two years travelling the world proselytising his faith? These are all unknowns that all sporting clubs have to take a chance on.

mickent1

Debutant
Aug 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne

Haha charity wow. So he has one extra year than he would have got otherwise and that’s causing this level of exasperation. Get over it. That could literally happen to any other player in the AFL. Would you rather another club offered him 4 years next year, we offered him three and then he left?

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Will explode next year if other certain Melbourne midfielders can pull their fingers out.

Link up Dees.
What role is he most valuable for us? Geez he was handy tagging the opposition's best mid. He was capable of shutting them down while being damaging the other way. Really broke out leading into finals 2018, then Goody went away from that last year. So is he best as a negating mid, a offensive mid, or something else? Maybe a forward flanker? Can take a grab and likes to kick a goal.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
What role is he most valuable for us? Geez he was handy tagging the opposition's best mid. He was capable of shutting them down while being damaging the other way. Really broke out leading into finals 2018, then Goody went away from that last year. So is he best as a negating mid, a offensive mid, or something else? Maybe a forward flanker? Can take a grab and likes to kick a goal.
i think Goodwin said on the radio recently Harmes was earmarked to play half back next year after impressing in the role at the end of this year. he'll probably still go through the middle at times though you'd think, but with Petracca looking for more time in the guts and maybe a youngster or two like Sparrow or Jordon needing to be blooded as well, it probably makes sense to move him back to the flank and give some others a go in there.

I do think it probably shows some fuzzy thinking from the club. Five years to a B grader is unconventional in AFL circles. Having said that, Harmes is a gun and he is durable - so I see no reason to worry about this particular contract.
Collingwood did it with Adams and im sure other clubs have done similar

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Kicking from the back 50 to the wing/centre is the most crucial kick these days if you stuff that up it will result in a score the other way. No surpises along with our kicking inside 50m the back half kicking was suburban footy type levels. Harmes is a very underrated kick IMO, especially going forward he lowers his eyes better than anyone.

I've said this a million times, when we have played our best footy we control the game by foot which also tends to reduce over handballing, when we over handball/posses we panic, are easy to defend and worse yet we are poor at spreading to defend our own turnover. Something we where really good at in 2018.

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Harmes is a stud. He just needs to adjust to his new role. It must be hard for him to go from one of the better mids, to being shifted to half back. Harmes is far too classy and to good a player to write off.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Harmes is a stud. He just needs to adjust to his new role. It must be hard for him to go from one of the better mids, to being shifted to half back. Harmes is far too classy and to good a player to write off.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Make us an offer please

^^^

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeh he's just so out of sorts, don't want him touching the ball level of bad . Optimistic time though, we just need to persist with him like we did Brayshaw and he'll come good.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just hasn't worked playing off the hbf for him at all. I would like to see him in AVBs role as a high half forward pushing up to stoppages. On form though he should probably just be dropped for Lockhart next week.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Suffered from the Brayshaw, Tyson treatment of being played out of position till they suck.

Could easily see a situation where he goes for pick 30-40 this year and another club gets a pretty good inside mid.
He's not a defender, I'd rather see him at HFF if they need to squeeze him in

Suffered from the Brayshaw, Tyson treatment of being played out of position till they suck.

Could easily see a situation where he goes for pick 30-40 this year and another club gets a pretty good inside mid.
Yeah as Deelighted said, give him AVBs spot if he Harmes keeps his spot (at least one of them should be dropped this week).

Some of his best footy has been of the back flank for us, that's where he emerged IIRC.

He's in poor form, but I'd keep him in ahead of Jones for sure.

I think he has decent forward craft. I don’t see any reason why he can’t learn to be a winger though opposite Langdon. Finds space better than most of our other mids even when he’s out of touch, and obviously has the running capacity and defensive skill set. I guess he’s only two years younger than Tomlinson but still a better player for mine and Tomlinson can be deployed elsewhere as well.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Unfortunately he's behind too many people in his two best positions.

He's the 5th picked mid behind Oliver, Trac, Gus and Viney. Could get bumped down further if Sparrow emerges.

Then he's arguably the 9th picked forward behind Weid, Jackson, Hannan, Melk, Pickett, Trac (again), Fritta and Bennell. That's not even including if TMac ever regains some semblance of form.

It's clear he's not cut out for the backline. Even then he's what...9th in line there too? May, Lever, Hibberd, Rivers, Tomlinson, Hore, Salem (maybe), Jetta (maybe), OMac (maybe).

Can he play on a wing? Surely can't be any less effective there than Jones or AVB.

Can’t see him wanting to leave given that he’s been given a long term contract with the club he barracked for as a kid. So it’s not like being played out of position will hurt his career prospects at this stage. Just doesn’t have any value at the trade table so realistically I don’t think he will be traded unless someone somehow offers us a top 30.

Back