#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires will be too focused on Brayshaw, Oliver, and Gawn

Maybe, but he is easy to notice with the way he runs through the middle, palming people off. Also if he keeps getting under players skins when he tags them out of the game then he will draw the umps attention.

his last 8 weeks have been off the charts.

Nobody could have predicted him getting this good so quick

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He will be better than Flash
Flash was awesome, particularly in 09 when he reinvented himself off HB. Just had the misfortune of playing in s**t sides. These two are chalk and cheese, Flash was as naturally talented as nay pick one but occasionally struggled to get up for games whilst Harmes is talented but goes very hard. Davey in our current side off a HBF would be perfect, leg speed and a laser kick.

Flash was awesome, particularly in 09 when he reinvented himself off HB. Just had the misfortune of playing in s**t sides. These two are chalk and cheese, Flash was as naturally talented as nay pick one but occasionally struggled to get up for games whilst Harmes is talented but goes very hard. Davey in our current side off a HBF would be perfect, leg speed and a laser kick.
Yeah, Davey definitely was great at stages of his career, I don’t mean to disrespect him, he did play out his career through a s**t mfc era, but Harmes will be next level. I don’t see a major weakness in Harmes’ game, while Davey’s major weakness was he lacked physicality. Physicality counts for a lot.

Yeah, Davey definitely was great at stages of his career, I don’t mean to disrespect him, he did play out his career through a s**t mfc era, but Harmes will be next level. I don’t see a major weakness in Harmes’ game, while Davey’s major weakness was he lacked physicality. Physicality counts for a lot.
Harmes isn't the kind of player you point to and say 'he's great at that', he's a super versatile mid who does a bunch of things well. He doesn't really have that X-factor or kick that Flash had. Having said that, given Harmes' rapid improvement, I don't want to put a cap on him. The coaches' patience really paid off at the start of the year, credit to 'em.

Harmes isn't the kind of player you point to and say 'he's great at that', he's a super versatile mid who does a bunch of things well. He doesn't really have that X-factor or kick that Flash had. Having said that, given Harmes' rapid improvement, I don't want to put a cap on him. The coaches' patience really paid off at the start of the year, credit to 'em.
Yep, Davey was the exact opposite, had clear strengths which was his speed (especially early on) and silky ball skills. Wasn’t going to stop an opposition player in his tracks ala Neville Jetta however. Would be interesting to see how a Davey would go in our current team. I’d definitely pick him. The forward pressure!

Lol, settle down. He could be but don’t get too carried away yet!
I don’t see how I’m getting carried away. Just stating my opinion. How has Harmes last 5-6 weeks been? He completely head ****ed Selwood last night. I think injury would have to intervene pretty severely for him to not develop into a more complete player than Davey from here.

I don’t see how I’m getting carried away. Just stating my opinion. How has Harmes last 5-6 weeks been? He completely head ****** Selwood last night. I think injury would have to intervene pretty severely for him to not develop into a more complete player than Davey from here.
Yeah fair enough. Harmes can be very good. We’ll see if he does maintain his current level, or even further improve. But flash invented forward pressure. He was amazing early in his career as a small forward and the. Did really well reinventing himself as others have said. But, as you’ve already discussed, he had one major limitation that Harmes will never suffer from!

From the 2013 draft? Probably needs a bigger body of work mate given Cripps, Merrett, Bont, Kelly, and Sicily are the first five that come to mind. Would definitely go in the first round though.

Worded it wrong, ment if he had been taken top 5 by someone it wouldn't be looking that out of place.

Actually stuff I love The kid. He's a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worded it wrong, ment if he had been taken top 5 by someone it wouldn't be looking that out of place.

Would certainly be a better pick that Boyd, Billings, or Koldjashnij

Also - if we win a flag it'll be because he scalps Dusty in a GF.

On a serious note, he’s the first hard tagger I can think of who also has a massive offensive side to his game. It’s going to be really interesting to see how oppositions deal with him, because his hurt factor when we get the ball is doing heaps of damage as he runs off the contest.

To counter him you almost need whoever he picks to sacrifice their game entirely and tag back. That’s far easier said than done for guys who are used to being the lynchpin.

On a serious note, he’s the first hard tagger I can think of who also has a massive offensive side to his game. It’s going to be really interesting to see how oppositions deal with him, because his hurt factor when we get the ball is doing heaps of damage as he runs off the contest.

To counter him you almost need whoever he picks to sacrifice their game entirely and tag back. That’s far easier said than done for guys who are used to being the lynchpin.

Cameron Ling kicked 30 something goals one season, Kane Cornes used to get a heap of it as well.

Harmes is a different beast though, I agree with you I don't think there's been a tagger who could genuinely be the most dangerous mid aswell.

Actually what the * am I talking about, Harmes is just doing what players did for 100 years, he's being accountable for his man. Viney doing the same.

Jones was doing it in 2014. Vince too

Jones was doing it in 2014. Vince too
Not on a weekly basis though. Vince on Danger did but that was more of a one-off.

Harmes is doing it so well that oppo coaches have to put time into countering it, but countering it is a massive pain in the arse

Not on a weekly basis though. Vince on Danger did but that was more of a one-off.

Harmes is doing it so well that oppo coaches have to put time into countering it, but countering it is a massive pain in the arse
I think it comes back to what Topkent said re: players actually being accountable to, and showing some respect to, their opponent. Also countering a tagger isn't that much of a deal if your side has the midfield depth to cover it. Geelong didn't really have it for Selwood. Danger and GAJ were ok but no one else stood up in midfield to pick up the slack. If you've got 5-6 guys (at least) who can run through the guts then having 1 tagged isn't such a big deal. The rest should be able to cover. Beat a tagger by having too many blokes to tag so everyone on the oppo has to be more defensive.

I think Hawthorn will struggle with this. Assuming Harmes goes to T Mitchell, they've got O'Meara, Shiels, Burgoyne...(?) who then have to battle with Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Tyson etc. They don't have the quality to keep up if Mitchell is kept quiet (inb4 his touches don't hurt anyway).

I think it comes back to what Topkent said re: players actually being accountable to, and showing some respect to, their opponent. Also countering a tagger isn't that much of a deal if your side has the midfield depth to cover it. Geelong didn't really have it for Selwood. Danger and GAJ were ok but no one else stood up in midfield to pick up the slack. If you've got 5-6 guys (at least) who can run through the guts then having 1 tagged isn't such a big deal. The rest should be able to cover. Beat a tagger by having too many blokes to tag so everyone on the oppo has to be more defensive.

I think Hawthorn will struggle with this. Assuming Harmes goes to T Mitchell, they've got O'Meara, Shiels, Burgoyne...(?) who then have to battle with Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Tyson etc. They don't have the quality to keep up if Mitchell is kept quiet (inb4 his touches don't hurt anyway).

Mitchell's reading of the tap is lightning quick. His vision is like Oliver aswell gonna be much harder to tag than others.

Hack kicks forward much more than Oliver does. I'm far more worried about JOM and Smith than I am about Mitchell.
He also gets it's about 10-15 times more than Oliver every game aswell.

Mitchell is the man who gets it out of the congestion to Smith and co. I think it's very hard to tag Smith because he won't be standing in tight at the stoppage which means Harmes will have no impact on the game tagging him. Smith's work is done when the hawks have it in D50 and he but runs to receive a kick in the F50. Don't know if Harmes can run with a bloke who probably does the most Ks in the AFL

I'd have ANB run with him and hurt him the other way.

Omeara can have fun with Viney again. We have enough talent in their to do that.

He also gets it's about 10-15 times more than Oliver every game aswell.

Mitchell is the man who gets it out of the congestion to Smith and co. I think it's very hard to tag Smith because he won't be standing in tight at the stoppage which means Harmes will have no impact on the game tagging him. Smith's work is done when the hawks have it in D50 and he but runs to receive a kick in the F50. Don't know if Harmes can run with a bloke who probably does the most Ks in the AFL

I'd have ANB run with him and hurt him the other way.

Omeara can have fun with Viney again. We have enough talent in their to do that.

He also gets 10-15 more useless linkup possessions than Oliver each game too.

If we keep Breust and Gunston to 5 or less between them we should have enough on the board to win this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back