#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi game on the weekend numbers wise was almost his best, but i loved the fact he just kept trying and along with Gawn/Fritta was our only winners for the day.

He was the only bloke that seemed to learn from the week before and lower his eyes going forward instead of blazing away.

Hi game on the weekend numbers wise was almost his best, but i loved the fact he just kept trying and along with Gawn/Fritta was our only winners for the day.

He was the only bloke that seemed to learn from the week before and lower his eyes going forward instead of blazing away.

He will poll well in the B&F I reckon. Big workrate and has had quite a few decent games this year.

He is more grunt than class but he inconsistently he is more capable of classy moments than most of our list.

I'm surprised they don't play him one out in the goalsquare when his tails up, capable of creating space on his opponent with sheer strength.
Clearly suffers moments of over confidence but he ain't the only one in that regard.

******* chompers! Old chomp chomp.

Can’t kick but does just about every other fundamental thing well.

On ya harmesy

I thought his kicking was the best it has been on the weekend, just past 50 games and it will get better IMO. Similar to how Jones improved his kicking.

I thought his kicking was the best it has been on the weekend, just past 50 games and it will get better IMO. Similar to how Jones improved his kicking.
There’s a lot of Jones about him actually, except Harmes is much better overhead. I can’t remember Jones ever marking the ball above his head!

His mark and goal from 50m out on the angle in the third quarter was absolute quality. I wasn’t expecting him to kick it, and I’m a Harmes fan. Is noticeably improving his consistency this season. One of only about 3 dees you can say this for unfortunately. :(

Happy he's been extended. Plays with a manic intensity that i wish most others on our list would. Yes it gets him into trouble lots of the time, can make him look silly when he's caught with the ball or scrubs a kick but i can see a damn decent footballer in him once some maturity kicks in and the bull in a china shop mentality is harnessed the right way. Has lots of good football attributes that hopefully pleasantly suprise us as games numbers increase. As we know, was a Dees supporter as a kid and i love that because it feels like he would hurt in a similar fashion to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a lot of Jones about him actually, except Harmes is much better overhead. I can’t remember Jones ever marking the ball above his head!

I think his journey as a player has, and will continue to be, similar to Jones. Has limitations and will never be elite (or even an A grader) but has the right tenacity and work ethic to be a hard at it, reliable contributor.

This is why he won't be dropped on the back of the occasional poor game. Goody knows his attitude means he will always bounce back and he's only going to improve his kicking and decision making at AFL level by continuing his consistent run of games.

I think his journey as a player has, and will continue to be, similar to Jones. Has limitations and will never be elite (or even an A grader) but has the right tenacity and work ethic to be a hard at it, reliable contributor.

This is why he won't be dropped on the back of the occasional poor game. Goody knows his attitude means he will always bounce back and he's only going to improve his kicking and decision making at AFL level by continuing his consistent run of games.
Do you think he'll be as good as Jones?

Do you think he'll be as good as Jones?

I think it's definitely possible. Has the hardness and work ethic. Being good overhead is a bonus. Obviously quite a way to go yet.

EDIT: I should add that he'll never appear as good as Jones. Nath had to do it all by himself for years and obviously stood out amongst the spuds. Harmes will always be overshadowed by Oliver, Petracca etc.

I think it's definitely possible. Has the hardness and work ethic. Being good overhead is a bonus. Obviously quite a way to go yet.

EDIT: I should add that he'll never appear as good as Jones. Nath had to do it all by himself for years and obviously stood out amongst the spuds. Harmes will always be overshadowed by Oliver, Petracca etc.
I guess he could be, but its worth remembering that even though both are quiet country boys that like tats; Jones was pick 12 and Harmes pick 2 in the rookie draft. Jones was gifted games early due to our youth fetish, Harmes has had to graft from day one but probably plays the same level of footy that Jones did just before his break out year. Does he have the natural talent to make the step up?

Also worth remembering that Harmes' first full year was 2016, he only played one or two in '15. Aside from Jones' first year, 2016 was the most wins he'd ever had in a season. Harmes may be 'overshadowed' by Oliver, and Jones may have 'stood out amongst the spuds', but its not about perceptions. Its about the support they've received to be able to play their role. Its there where I think there is no comparison. As effective 2016 debutants, Petracca, Harmes and Oliver are the first MFC players for over a decade to have played their first 50 games in a team that isn't a total rabble.

I guess he could be, but its worth remembering that even though both are quiet country boys that like tats; Jones was pick 12 and Harmes pick 2 in the rookie draft. Jones was gifted games early due to our youth fetish, Harmes has had to graft from day one but probably plays the same level of footy that Jones did just before his break out year. Does he have the natural talent to make the step up?

Also worth remembering that Harmes' first full year was 2016, he only played one or two in '15. Aside from Jones' first year, 2016 was the most wins he'd ever had in a season. Harmes may be 'overshadowed' by Oliver, and Jones may have 'stood out amongst the spuds', but its not about perceptions. Its about the support they've received to be able to play their role. Its there where I think there is no comparison. As effective 2016 debutants, Petracca, Harmes and Oliver are the first MFC players for over a decade to have played their first 50 games in a team that isn't a total rabble.

Yeah I would agree with that general assessment. Petracca, Harmes and Oliver have the benefit of playing their first 50 games for a semi-rabble. A semabble, if you will.

Humble pie for me. He's found the niche as a valuable tagger/utility that will secure him the next 50 games. Once he hits the 100 game mark, he will become a really good player.

Humble pie for me. He's found the niche as a valuable tagger/utility that will secure him the next 50 games. Once he hits the 100 game mark, he will become a really good player.

Ah well we all get it wrong sometimes (except me ;))

There has been a handful of players that have divided opinion that all seem to be coming into their own and maturing. Club noticed their talent early and has got them playing 50 games together

Brayshaw/Omac/ANB/Harmes/Melksham

I think that's one reason we belt sides now is because the group has played a decent amount of footy together already

Ah well we all get it wrong sometimes (except me ;))

There has been a handful of players that have divided opinion that all seem to be coming into their own and maturing. Club noticed their talent early and has got them playing 50 games together

Brayshaw/Omac/ANB/Harmes/Melksham

I think that's one reason we belt sides now is because the group has played a decent amount of footy together already
This is basically why champion team > team of champions is so true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back