#4 James Harmes – traded to Bulldogs. Thanks for 'that' kick. You know the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Salem hasn't shown an ability to hit targets on a consistent basis at AFL level yet, he was talked up as a gun kick out of the 18s and it's become perpuated at senior level
Like I said because he was pick 9 people focus on the good stuff and ignore the bad, it's classic melbourne board
You've gone liberal there I never said I didn't like Salem at all I said he hasn't proven anything yet in my eyes
You get far too sensitive sometimes

I never said it was Harmes though his tackling and defensive work has been Allright the last few games
Trenners is almost cooked at AFL level and Harmes disposal is not better or worse than Grimes and ones been in the system a decade nearly
You you are doing your thing, again, of writing off the opinion and intelligence of other posters with a bullshit "the board says..." or "its classic Melbourne board". Seriously, get stuffed.

I'm no more or less blinkered then you or anyone else here. The big difference between us is that hopefully I don't attempt to write off everyone else's opinion every second time I post.

I rate Salem, and suspect - with limited evidence - that he is and will be a much better footballer then Harmes. On the basis of what I have seen of him. By all means convince yourself that's because I'm an idiot who is going along with a crowd and 'frothing' because he is a top 10 pick. It's crap, but you're obviously determined to think that so go ahead and tell yourself I'm classic Melbourne board. And give yourself another pat on the back for bucking some imaginary trend.

What the ****? Salem is so far ahead of Harmes it isn't funny. One of them has s**t skills and the other just hasn't been played in the right role + has struggled with chronic illness.
Yeah just way more talented all round.

What the ****? Salem is so far ahead of Harmes it isn't funny. One of them has s**t skills and the other just hasn't been played in the right role + has struggled with chronic illness.
You you are doing your thing, again, of writing off the opinion and intelligence of other posters with a bullshit "the board says..." or "its classic Melbourne board". Seriously, get stuffed.

I'm no more or less blinkered then you or anyone else here. The big difference between us is that hopefully I don't attempt to write off everyone else's opinion every second time I post.

I rate Salem, and suspect - with limited evidence - that he is and will be a much better footballer then Harmes. On the basis of what I have seen of him. By all means convince yourself that's because I'm an idiot who is going along with a crowd and 'frothing' because he is a top 10 pick. It's crap, but you're obviously determined to think that so go ahead and tell yourself I'm classic Melbourne board. And give yourself another pat on the back for bucking some imaginary trend.

Little bit overreactive here, Dont remember saying Harmes was/is or would be better than Salem at all just that the people who have written off Harmes after <20 games wouldnt do that to a high draft pick despite the fact that many high draft picks are failures
Before that statement is taken the wrong way, I didnt say Salem would FAIL. He just hasnt proven anything in my eyes yet never said he couldnt

Fact is and this is an AFL wide thing, any top 10 pick who shows anything is automatically a 200 game player for their club
You know how many melbourne have had? 25 in history

Whilst a large number of those have come post 1980 its still a very low number considering that if you laid out the players on our list I reckon we would all find 10 200 gamers atleast, well statistically thats extremely unlikely

If you want a board full of people who want the bottom 3 players on the list dropped every week and thats the extent of their opinion then it will be one ******* boring place and If you want to take it personally when I say 'classic melbourne board' then maybe you think your one of those people.

I guarantee if you go back to the game day thread of last year when Harmes played well against GWS everyone here was going mental about him, 12 games later people have written him off because he was a rookie pick, I guarantee if he was taken pick 9 like Salem not a single person would be writing him off and they would be talking about what he can do not what he cant

Thats only reason I brought salem into it, hell Jimmy Toumpas had the backing of Dez on here until round 23 last season purely on his draft number

Anyway im not hear to call other poster opinions stupid or themselves personally

More polish than the average Casey inclusion.

Comfy on both feet, delivered a nice left footer.

He definitely has potential.

Goes hard. Makes good decisions. I like.

Have been impressed so far. Likely type.

I like this guys ability to go forward and take grabs at the highest point.

Once he's up and going he could be good for a goal or two per game.

Sticks his head over it and he has some wheels on him when he wants
Hes showing just as much as ANB and Stretch IMO

Great steal from the draft, this guy can play footy.

Love this kid, has some real skill and x-factor which is uncommon off the rookie list.

He's a beautiful kick too. He kicks flat and they go where he wants them too. He featured in a piece of play a couple of weeks back where he kicked straight down through the corridor to Dawes (I think) which set up a goal. It was a beautiful kick. I like him too :)

Look at what everyone was saying about him less than a season ago, now 10 games later hes a s**t kick s**t decision maker etc
Like I said, if he was a top 20 pick people wouldnt turn on him at the flip of a coin

Edit- it's a little cheeky going over old comments because opinions are allowed to change but the point stands

Last edited:
Look at what everyone was saying about him less than a season ago, now 10 games later hes a s**t kick s**t decision maker etc
Like I said, if he was a top 20 pick people wouldnt turn on him at the flip of a coin
Respect to the research there.

I actually agree, I think he's being written off quickly and pretty unfairly. No doubt he's got some things he's got to work on, but most 20 year old, 21 game players do. If nothing else, he's a ripping pick up off the Rookie List

Take a look at this list of Rookie Gems we selected in the years before him ...
Nathan Stark
Mitch Clisby
Jai Sheehan
Tom Couch
James Magner
Leigh Williams
Daniel Nicholson
Michael Evans
Kelvin Lawrence
Cameron Johnston
Robert Campbell

Really makes you appreciate the likes of Harmes, AVB and Wagner doesn't it!

Even looking at the Rookie Draft that season (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_AFL_draft), with the exceptions of Nev, Mav Weller and Anthony Miles, who were rookie picks already with AFL experience, he'd only be behind Charlie Cameron from Adelaide in output so far.

Little bit overreactive here, Dont remember saying Harmes was/is or would be better than Salem at all just that the people who have written off Harmes after <20 games wouldnt do that to a high draft pick despite the fact that many high draft picks are failures
Before that statement is taken the wrong way, I didnt say Salem would FAIL. He just hasnt proven anything in my eyes yet never said he couldnt

Fact is and this is an AFL wide thing, any top 10 pick who shows anything is automatically a 200 game player for their club
You know how many melbourne have had? 25 in history

Whilst a large number of those have come post 1980 its still a very low number considering that if you laid out the players on our list I reckon we would all find 10 200 gamers atleast, well statistically thats extremely unlikely

If you want a board full of people who want the bottom 3 players on the list dropped every week and thats the extent of their opinion then it will be one ******* boring place and If you want to take it personally when I say 'classic melbourne board' then maybe you think your one of those people.

I guarantee if you go back to the game day thread of last year when Harmes played well against GWS everyone here was going mental about him, 12 games later people have written him off because he was a rookie pick, I guarantee if he was taken pick 9 like Salem not a single person would be writing him off and they would be talking about what he can do not what he cant

Thats only reason I brought salem into it, hell Jimmy Toumpas had the backing of Dez on here until round 23 last season purely on his draft number

Anyway im not hear to call other poster opinions stupid or themselves personally
Who are the all of these posters writing off Harmes after 20 games? I've seen a few posts suggesting he could be dropped and someone else brought in - after he has had a poor game. Doesn't seem unreasonable or 'typical' anything.

More importantly though, you've just used Dez! as some kind of example of a typical poster. So I'm leaning towards suspecting you are drinking while taking antibiotics

Who are the all of these posters writing off Harmes after 20 games? I've seen a few posts suggesting he could be dropped and someone else brought in - after he has had a poor game. Doesn't seem unreasonable or 'typical' anything.

More importantly though, you've just used Dez! as some kind of example of a typical poster. So I'm leaning towards suspecting you are drinking while taking antibiotics

You got me on the wording of that one, I shouldn't have said written off
Saying he has s**t skills and what not when people thought he had good skills 10 games ago
You don't lose your skills in 10 games nor do you become a good kick either which is why I brought Salem into the argument
From what I've seen with my eyes they have both stuffed up kicks at AFL level yet only one gets pounded.
Both still yet to prove anything at AFL level is all I wanted to get at
My opinion my be the stupidest on this board but I'll stick by it, maybe we all just get along better when Melbourne is s**t or we are laughing about Dez

You got me on the wording of that one, I shouldn't have said written off
Saying he has s**t skills and what not when people thought he had good skills 10 games ago
You don't lose your skills in 10 games nor do you become a good kick either which is why I brought Salem into the argument
From what I've seen with my eyes they have both stuffed up kicks at AFL level yet only one gets pounded.
Both still yet to prove anything at AFL level is all I wanted to get at
My opinion my be the stupidest on this board but I'll stick by it, maybe we all just get along better when Melbourne is s**t or we are laughing about Dez
I think we probably need Toumpas back

The problem with Harmes is exemplified by a passage of play in the second quarter on Saturday night. He receives a handball on defensive 50 and gives off a 3m handpass to Gawn - at his feet. Gawn's good enough to recover the ball and gives it back to Harmes who's run on. Harmes then loops a 15m handball to a Hogan contest, but it's to the Fremantle player's advantage and Hogan, in reaching across to knock the ball away from the Fremantle player, gives away the free. The Freo player kicks to a contest on 50 and after a bit it comes back to Harmes who's running through the middle again. He kicks inside 50, but it lands in between 3 matchups.

Maybe you cut him a bit f slack because of the conditions, and he's a goer and provides a good running option, but he's got to clean the stuff up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with Harmes is exemplified by a passage of play in the second quarter on Saturday night. He receives a handball on defensive 50 and gives off a 3m handpass to Gawn - at his feet. Gawn's good enough to recover the ball and gives it back to Harmes who's run on. Harmes then loops a 15m handball to a Hogan contest, but it's to the Fremantle player's advantage and Hogan, in reaching across to knock the ball away from the Fremantle player, gives away the free. The Freo player kicks to a contest on 50 and after a bit it comes back to Harmes who's running through the middle again. He kicks inside 50, but it lands in between 3 matchups.

Maybe you cut him a bit f slack because of the conditions, and he's a goer and provides a good running option, but he's got to clean the stuff up.

Melksham and Hibberd will mean Harmes is depth only. With Kent, Kennedy and Garlett rotating forward, and our midfield depth packed solid, I'm not surprised Roos is trying Harmes across half back atm. However with Salem to come back as well, I really struggle to see how Harmes will be best 22 next season. Runs hard and goes in hard, however disposal and decision making is lacking. Good depth though..

Melksham and Hibberd will mean Harmes is depth only. With Kent, Kennedy and Garlett rotating forward, and our midfield depth packed solid, I'm not surprised Roos is trying Harmes across half back atm. However with Salem to come back as well, I really struggle to see how Harmes will be best 22 next season. Runs hard and goes in hard, however disposal and decision making is lacking. Good depth though..

I don't think I had him in our best 22 to start the season as well and all things considered Oliver and Brayshaw should probably squeeze into the 22 next season aswell so yeah I can see him falling behind and out of the team
But you need a squad these days and you need versatility and if Harmes can learn some back craft it can only help
Soon enough hopefully Harmes AVB Wagner are the 3 back up players first in instead of Jones, Grimes etc

Edit- it's a little cheeky going over old comments because opinions are allowed to change but the point stands

I see your point, but it doesn't work as well when I definitely still rate him and two of the comments are me!

I don't like being reactive to players... young guys are mainly a work in progress, even guys who were pretty ready to go like Viney and Hogan have areas they have/needed to improve on.

If coached well they will improve the negatives and keep bringing out the positives, there's lots of potential in guys like Harmes and Salem to become quality footballers.

I don't think I had him in our best 22 to start the season as well and all things considered Oliver and Brayshaw should probably squeeze into the 22 next season aswell so yeah I can see him falling behind and out of the team
But you need a squad these days and you need versatility and if Harmes can learn some back craft it can only help
Soon enough hopefully Harmes AVB Wagner are the 3 back up players first in instead of Jones, Grimes etc

Can't win a flag without solid depth. Harmes will get enough games over the next few years no doubt, but I think it would be great signs for us if he is in the 2nds, as it means Brayshaw, ANB, Salem etc are starting to play to potential. Harmes looked ok across half back though. Let's see how he goes this week against a team thats trying to win though..

I see your point, but it doesn't work as well when I definitely still rate him and two of the comments are me!

I don't like being reactive to players... young guys are mainly a work in progress, even guys who were pretty ready to go like Viney and Hogan have areas they have/needed to improve on.

If coached well they will improve the negatives and keep bringing out the positives, there's lots of potential in guys like Harmes and Salem to become quality footballers.

No it definently works better with both comments in and then hope no one noticed haha
Anyway the Harmes discussion has run its race now on my part I think so I'll leave it there but there's enough to work with both to potentially turn them into good afl footballers

I really like the way Harmes goes about it. Has intensity and pace. Is a great mark for his size. Apparently giving the pre season a real good crack to.
It hard to find a spot for him in best 22 but I won't be surprised if he finds his was in. Just not sure a whose expense.
There's 2-3 spots that I really don't have nailed down yet and he's right in the hunt, I agree.

I really like the way Harmes goes about it. Has intensity and pace. Is a great mark for his size. Apparently giving the pre season a real good crack to.
It hard to find a spot for him in best 22 but I won't be surprised if he finds his was in. Just not sure a whose expense.
With Kent currently injured and Tyson out meaning Oliver and Brayshaw play more time in the midfield there might be a spot early in the season for Harmes on a half forward flank. That's probably his best position long term and he's a good tackler. I'm sure he'll be around the mark in round 1 and throughout the year.

With Kent currently injured and Tyson out meaning Oliver and Brayshaw play more time in the midfield there might be a spot early in the season for Harmes on a half forward flank. That's probably his best position long term and he's a good tackler. I'm sure he'll be around the mark in round 1 and throughout the year.

Kent is injured????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back