Opinion 4 key questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Okey dokey. Interested in everyone’s opinions on the following 4 queries. I see them as the main question marks for our lineup going into 2018.

1. Which 2 key defenders are we playing (alongside Morris)??

2. Who are our 2 key forwards?

3. Who plays as our number 1 ruckman?

4. Where does JJ play?

This is a difficult question given all of Cordy, Trengove and Adams seem to have a claim. I have a feeling the club won't know until after the JLT. I'll go with Trengove and Cordy.

Initially Boyd and Redpath.

Roughy

4. Where does JJ play?
High HB with a little wing. Similar to how he's always been used.

1. Trengove and Adams.

2. Not convinced we play 2 tall forwards.

3. Roughead and Boyd probably a 50/50 split when both are fit.

4. Predominantly half back but subject to change based on opposition tactics or other variables. Will play wing at times and forward.

4. Where does JJ play?

Only four key questions: fronk ?

1. Morris omitted for mine, Replaced by Trengove, Adams and
one of Naughton, Young or Cordy.

2. Schache and Dickson.

3. Tom Boyd

4. Forward for JJ replaced by Crozier

Easton Wood also forward for a trial, even though you did
not ask.:think:

Okey dokey. Interested in everyone’s opinions on the following 4 queries. I see them as the main question marks for our lineup going into 2018.

4. Where does JJ play?
These are some difficult questions. Hard to know what Bevo is thinking, no doubt we'll see a surprise or two.

1. Adams and Cordy (or Trengove but prefer Cordy - I think his aggression at the contest is really important)
2. Boyd & Schache or move one of the KPD options forward as a swingman (Cordy/Trengove)
3. Roughead
4. Half back/half forward split

Early season team. Also depending on who we play

1. Adams and Trengove but could go smaller for teams with small forward line
2. schache (Boyd ruck )
3. Roughead
4. Half forward. Wing

These are some difficult questions. Hard to know what Bevo is thinking, no doubt we'll see a surprise or two.

1. Adams and Cordy (or Trengove but prefer Cordy - I think his aggression at the contest is really important)
2. Boyd & Schache or move one of the KPD options forward as a swingman (Cordy/Trengove)
3. Roughead
4. Half back/half forward split

Zaine played some very good footy towards the end of last year. Was brilliant against Daniher.

Marcus Adams (for the love of Christ stay fit) and Zaine Cordy.

We are well stocked with back up with key defenders - Fletch Roberts, Lewis Young, Aaron Naughton. Not too concerned about this.

We only need one. I'd play the Tomaboyd permanent key forward.

He's done very well in the ruck but I want to play him forward more.

Roughead. Play Trengove as the number 2 so Tomaboyd can play forward.

4. Where does JJ play?

Need him on the half back flank. That's where he is most dangerous.

Adams and Trengove. Cordy off the bench

Redpath and Roughy/Boyd (on ruck rotation)

Roughy and Boyd on rotation as 2nd tall

Half back and wing

Only four key questions: fronk ?

1. Morris omitted for mine, Replaced by Trengove, Adams and
one of Naughton, Young or Cordy.

2. Schache and Dickson.

3. Tom Boyd

4. Forward for JJ replaced by Crozier

Easton Wood also forward for a trial, even though you did
not ask.:think:

Get out. Get out now. Mods suspend this cretin....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get out. Get out now. Mods suspend this cretin....
About seven years ago i suggested Morris as a big defensive
mid, father time catches up with us all grassman75 even the
truly great ones. Trengove and Morris are very similar in a
statistical sense, but Trengove is bigger so it's Trengove
for me depending on the opponent and match ups.

I'm damned if I understand why so many of us are assuming since the last 2 premiers played with a predominantly small forward line, that this some how has become the new paradigm. Unless I missed something, it seems in both situations, it looked more like it was - out of necessity- rather a new preference. Adelaide who finished on top at R23 often played with 3 tall forwards, who regularly were a significant part of their winning edge. Other teams won matches with 2 or more tall/med. tall forwards. For many years it has been regularly said that the best finals teams had at least one really dominant tall forward, and generally at least one more tall, as an alternative target, a diversion, or even just to prevent double teaming of the main tall. I will be flabbergasted if most of the coaches do not already have plans well in place to counter the 'small forward line' tactic. Now back to the actual questions : 1: like others, I expect it could Adams and Trengove. 2: All being well, I suspect we'll start with Toyd and Red, but Red will need to work very hard to hold his spot for long if Shaq. puts any pressure on. 3: Roughy is clearly our best No. 1 ruck, at least until English is up to challenging. 4: I suspect JJ will be given a license to roam, from HBF to HFF via the wing.

About seven years ago i suggested Morris as a big defensive
mid, father time catches up with us all grassman75 even the
truly great ones. Trengove and Morris are very similar in a
statistical sense, but Trengove is bigger so it's Trengove
for me depending on the opponent and match ups.

It's tongue in cheek...but I just don't want it to happen..will be like someone dying when Moz goes.

As they say in the classics, we will always have 5 mins 24 secs to go in the the final quarter of the 2016 Grand Final

4. Where does JJ play?
The first part is what I’d like us to do. Second part is what I think we’ll do.
1. Adams and Naughton
2. Schache and Boyd
3. Trengove
4. Wing

1. Adams and Trengove
2. Boyd and Redpath
3. Roughead
4. Half back flank.

Bevo a big rap for Trengrove, expect him to play round 1 with likely Cordy yet don't be surprised if be mid season Naughton is in, again Bevo impressed and will reward Footscray form no matter who you are.

Adams they want to give an extended run up forward yet all depends on form, injuries etc.

Roughie, but needs a lift on last years output.

Hope they go in with a definite transition plan with Morris.
If we are to make finals Boyd,Schache,Adams and Crozier will be important factors.

1. Trengove and Cordy (Adams can't seem to stay fit and Morris will be rested a bit, so these are the two I expect to be our key defenders for most of the year)
2. Redpath and Boyd
3. Roughy
4. Half Back Flank predominately but will spend time forward.

4. Where does JJ play?

Trengrove and Adams are the two key backs, cords to transition into Moz role of third tall or pinch hit up forward

Boyd and Redpath first up, hopefully Schake demands Big Reds spot by end of year.

Roughhead for No1 ruck. Boyd 20% 10% Jongy to keep MD lively

JJ HBF with Crozier. Hopefully trengrove and griz will ensure there are no shinanigans like last year

Firstly I'm expecting/hoping some things will surprise us ... and I hope that they surprise the opposition too. Why else would we train for so long behind closed gates? Indeed, closed-door training may be due to more than hiding a few new game day tactics. There could also be some unexpected positional changes.

Who knows, it could even be a once-in-a-generation revolutionary style where Bev's "positional versatility" mantra is taken to a totally different and innovative level along the lines of the Dutch introducing the "total football" concept in the 1970s. I'm not even sure what that might look like but it'd be worth watching and would bring the crowds if it started paying off. Maybe Naughton being seen as a marking goal kicker last Saturday might just have been a sneak preview.

So here's three answers, assuming all players are fit of course, and ignoring Redpath's Round 1 holiday:
BLUE (what I'd do ... so obviously that's wrong and won't happen)
GREEN (what I think the club might do) and
RED (some possible examples of a new style of play ... a bit of innovation plus)

TRENGOVE, CORDY
TRENGOVE, ADAMS
variously TRENGOVE, ADAMS, CORDY, SCHACHE, BOYD as the flow of play dictates (but no REDPATH thanks)

SCHACHE, ADAMS
REDPATH, BOYD
variously TRENGOVE, ADAMS, CORDY, SCHACHE, BOYD as the flow of play dictates (alas still no REDPATH)

BOYD
ROUGHEAD
None. Variously CORDY, SCHACHE, TRENGOVE, BOYD, ROUGHEAD (if included), JONG (if incl), BONTEMPELLI, PICKEN and MACRAE according to flow of play. Someone different for nearly every ball-up and throw-in.

4. Where does JJ play?
Wing - running both ways
HBF with licence to drift forward of wing
Mostly forward but seemingly changing role and positional play after every goal (or every 4-5 minutes), along with nearly every other medium-small in the side, leaving opposition players totally confused

Naturally I have no real idea how Bev might choose to revolutionise tactics and positional play (that much should be obvious). But if he DID, how do you think it might look?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back