Opinion 4 key questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
I get that but Moz is a legend and is a walk in every week even simply for his leadership on field.

Moz plays when he is fit and tell me the last game he missed due to form??????

I'm with you MD, Moz is a competitive beast and plays until his body lets him down?

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happy Birthday Yojimbo, the unlemmingest of all posters! Hope you have a nice day mate. Looking forward to a birthday edition of useless stats
Thank you Snake Livermore, I had a birthday meal of Wagyu
sausages and mixed vegetables so at the very least i will
have an expensive crap tomorrow morning. The sausages
were quality and well worth a look. Scrag City has perma
banned my useless stats, but draft hero which i did for
every club cross referencing the results with finals made
rocked and revealed.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
I'm with you MD, Moz is a competitive beast and plays until his body lets him down?
I don't know why but i have a feeling he won't see the season out. He is the mightiest bullgod but i there were some little signs last year. Still even at 50% he would be our second best defender.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Thank you Snake Livermore, I had a birthday meal of Wagyu
sausages and mixed vegetables so at the very least i will
have an expensive crap tomorrow morning. The sausages
were quality and well worth a look. Scrag City has perma
banned my useless stats, but draft hero which i did for
every club cross referencing the results with finals made
rocked and revealed.

You should just start a thread called Yojimbo's Crappy Stats and keep them all in there.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mate maybe I’m confused but didn’t he nearly win a Norm Smith playing forward?

I mean I know I’m a little flakey but I’m pretty sure that was him and I have never to zero faith in a kid that couldn’t get a game with the lions coz he wasn’t happy! Sorry I’m my book that’s weak as p!ss so I will await Schache to prove my wrong but I’m not holding my breathe so maybe both options are no good :(

I like that fact that he wants to be a forward. Did his 'almost norm' from the ruck though, when he could move freely and get a good jump at the ball. Not to mention, his ruckwork against mumford when roughie went down.

I dont think anyone wants him to be a permie ruck, but pointing to his '16 finals performance isnt doing the 'anti-ruck' argument any favours

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think the team is going to get thrown around a lot this year from week to week and within games but here are my thoughts for the first bounce round 1.
1. I'm not convinced Trengove is a lock to play round 1. I think we look best with a more mobile backline which would be Adams and one of Young or Naughton or Even Wood depending on opposition forwards.
2. Again not sure we go with 2 key forwards. I think Toyd is a lock as a forward with ruck minutes. Don't know how Shache is travelling, would love it if he is putting his hand up for that round one spot but feel we may have to wait a little longer for him. Red looked pretty immobile in AFLX, I know we can't read too much into it. I think Naughton could even be a smoky to start forward. But I think Round one will be Boyd FF and Bont CHF (as much as I would prefer him in the guts)
3. Roughy and Trengove fighting this one out and I think Trengove might get first crack. I think the coach will like the flexibility of throwing one of these two back if we are getting dominated by a forward with Boyd going into the Ruck and Adams moving forward.
4. JJ Wing/Half forward for mine. Seems like we have brought in Crozier as a back which I think will allow JJ to be an offensive weapon. (Replacing our previous forward weapon who it turns out is also quite offensive)

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My two cents worth

1. Trengove and Cordy. I think we got Trengove for a reason more than just depth and Bev saw it as an area where we struggled against the gorillas hence Trengove plays. It is close between Cordy and Adams but the twin factors of Cordy's improvement over the last two years and Adam's injury history over the same period swings it Cordy's way for mine.

2. Schache and Boyd. Schache gets a nod from me on hope more than anything but with the way we bring the ball into the forward line and Schache's height and ability to run compared to the other guy he gets the nod. Speaking of the other guy, Redpath's lack of mobility and inability to mark overhead counts against him imo. Also i note a couple of posters refer to his good kicking but I thought he was not great in that area in 2017. I think with a good preseason and perseverance Boyd can become a good FF and should bee started with. His ability as backup ruck ensures he gets in the team.

3. Roughead. With the injury of 2017 behind him I think he can get back to a position of holding his own against the AFLs best rucks. His 2016 was a glimpse of what he can provide and it is good enough.

4. Wing or HF. With our plethora of hbfs JJ can be tried a bit further upfield. If Crozier, Williams or Richards don't provide the required run then he may have to go back but I would like to see him start higher up. His delivery into the forward line gives me some reservations about him as a wingman hence hedging my bets with hff as a spot too.

Interesting questions and the provision of diverse answers with good arguments made for all shows the selection dilemmas the MC has and some of us are going to be disappointed with that first named team.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A lot of people saying JJ will play forward, but who then will be our replacement 'line-breakers' in the backline???

Biggs - no
Williams - no
R.Smith - no
Crozier - no
Suckling - maybe?
Lynch - fast but needs to get a game first
Webb - ditto

(Log in to remove this ad.)

webbo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A lot of people saying JJ will play forward, but who then will be our replacement 'line-breakers' in the backline???

Biggs - no
Williams - no
R.Smith - no
Crozier - no
Suckling - maybe?
Webb - ditto
Biggs a no because he already plays a similar role? Crozier might not have the exact same speed, but I think we'll see him slot into the half back role fairly well from Round 1.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Biggs - no
Williams - no
R.Smith - no
Crozier - no
Suckling - maybe?
Webb - ditto

You want someone who is able to run, carry and kick while doing it. Speed is nice, but you wouldnt put Dal or Jong in that role...

Biggs has already played that role, and Williams looks calm and has nice evasiveness. Id be happy with these guys for a start if that means we get JJ doing his thing 40m further up the ground. JJ has goal a game winger written al over him. Ditto Bails.

Suckling? no. Cant kick on the run. He is a stop and prop and I reckon we have enough potential wings and half backs that struggles to get a game.

Richards a dark horse for some games towards the 2nd half of the year after he adjusts to the speed and physicality of the game. He is a dead set lock for future half back, love his videos.

Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
1. Which 2 key defenders are we playing (alongside Morris)? Roberts and Trengove

2. Who are our 2 key forwards? Adams and Cordy

3. Who plays as our number 1 ruckman? Boyd

4. Where does JJ play? Wing

A lot of outside of the box thinking here but it wouldn't surprise me if Roberts steps his game up drastically this season.

He'll be 25 midway through the season, hopefully would have added a bit of size and will be aware that it's now or never for him.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
I'm damned if I understand why so many of us are assuming since the last 2 premiers played with a predominantly small forward line, that this some how has become the new paradigm. Unless I missed something, it seems in both situations, it looked more like it was - out of necessity- rather a new preference. Adelaide who finished on top at R23 often played with 3 tall forwards, who regularly were a significant part of their winning edge. Other teams won matches with 2 or more tall/med. tall forwards. For many years it has been regularly said that the best finals teams had at least one really dominant tall forward, and generally at least one more tall, as an alternative target, a diversion, or even just to prevent double teaming of the main tall. I will be flabbergasted if most of the coaches do not already have plans well in place to counter the 'small forward line' tactic. Now back to the actual questions : 1: like others, I expect it could Adams and Trengove. 2: All being well, I suspect we'll start with Toyd and Red, but Red will need to work very hard to hold his spot for long if Shaq. puts any pressure on. 3: Roughy is clearly our best No. 1 ruck, at least until English is up to challenging. 4: I suspect JJ will be given a license to roam, from HBF to HFF via the wing.
I think Tim English will play this year, most likely partly in the ruck. I have huge ups for this kid.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
It's tongue in cheek...but I just don't want it to happen..will be like someone dying when Moz goes.

As they say in the classics, we will always have 5 mins 24 secs to go in the the final quarter of the 2016 Grand Final
I have watched the gf from that moment dozens of times and it looks better each time

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Boyd has neither the instincts, speed or agility to get separation from his opponent. Never gets an easy ball on the lead, in space. Makes him a very ineffective forward.

Terrific young ruckman though.

I get it. We need a key forward. We invested so much in him to fill that role. But not being mature enough to acknowledge he’s best served elsewhere is an even bigger mistake.
I reckon he does get separation, but he can't mark the footy, well he can, we have seen it, but he drops too many easy ones once he's done the work. He starts taking those ones and it's whole other ball game. Agree he's more a ruck than a forward though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back