Player Watch # 4: Kyle Langford - 3 Goals in Dreamtime at the G - 25/5

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shane Heard

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The only time he’s ever really shown anything is as a lead up forward. His hands are alright in the lead and he’s a reasonable kick for goal (today aside).

I’d rather stick him there and see how it goes before putting a line through him. He’s clearly not a midfielder.
You have faith in him and that’s ok.

But I’ve seen enough now to just dismiss him and give up all hope he’ll make it.

I wish it was different but the time has come to face reality about yet another young recruit who just can’t cut it at the elite level.

Footy is not for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seb78

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The only time he’s ever really shown anything is as a lead up forward. His hands are alright in the lead and he’s a reasonable kick for goal (today aside).

I’d rather stick him there and see how it goes before putting a line through him. He’s clearly not a midfielder.
Agree looks a lot more comfortable and confident when up foward. Looks lost in the midfield.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The best run of form he's shown at the top level is over the second half of last year and coincided with him being in the middle or on a wing imo. He wasn't a bull in congestion but even in traffic he was often able to release players in good positions.

I'm fairly surprised by his efforts across the JLT, opening rounds and today to be honest. Last year seemed like a good platform to build off and this year he has fallen through it.

Darealrath

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
Feel like he was a bit overrated on here last year but the pendulum has swung dramatically and now it feels like he's a bit underrated.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in that HFF role again. He kicks like usually does and it's a 2 goal, 8 mark, 16 possession game.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I want to say that he's suffering because of all the options they had to develop a midfielder he was the wrong option, the characteristics which made him an option were not the ones we needed or which would translate quickly, but it does not explain his regression in the last 8 months.

He's been coddled in a team whose real self is pissweak contested work (taking a hot ball and handballing it to 7:00 as quickly as possible) and it seems to me to be very fair to say that he "put the horse before the cart". One thing leads to another and he is humiliated by the St Kilda match, made an example of over senior and more underperforming players and there goes any semblance of confidence.

Respect to Don Pike, even though he's the one who cost Adelaide the 2017 GF and who should have attended experimental brainwashing camp, he had the balls to drop Bryce Gibbs and Josh Jenkins.

Of course the team now needs a half forward who can run all day, who might also recapture the spark in the process as confidence builds, but we're not in the business of maximising talent on the list, no, we're in the business of standing for something.

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Has played 3 games in 5 weeks, and been out of the seniors since round two.

Looked rusty as hell and had a bit of a 'deer in the headlights' vibe with ball in hand but i would suggest some of it would come down to rustyness.

Also, he is a forward Woosha, give up on the midfield thing and send him forward for Baguley. Mynott can have a crack at his midfield rotation.
Agree. I'm not sure on Langford making but playing him today was never gonna work. He needs to rebuild his confidence in the VFL and come back in a clearly defined role.

HirdsTheWord

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
he is not an AFL footballer.

sooner everyone gets over it the less pain and misery there will be.

i feel as though there has been enough sample size to confirm.

silkybombers

Debutant
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Should play him as a forward for the rest of the year. Last year when he had a bit of confidence he looked really good. Prefer him than Myers.

mike14

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
he is not an AFL footballer.

sooner everyone gets over it the less pain and misery there will be.

i feel as though there has been enough sample size to confirm.
I still think he has the tools to be an AFL role-player. He's got a good pair of hands and is a pretty fair user of the ball (despite yesterday's efforts). He still doesn't seem to fully have adjusted to the speed of the game with his decision-making, and his intent sometimes seems off, but they are to an extent coachable; although it would also involve Langford really knuckling down and 'wanting it'.

For a variety of reasons I just can't see that happening with us as the waters appear pretty sullied. For his sake, I hope there's some interest in the trade period and for our sake I hope we can turn the 3rd round pick we'd probably get for him into a useful asset

Jesse G

Debutant
Sep 13, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Langford i feel is done now. Can look to move on from picking him in the future.
Ok VFL Player , but clearly not up to the hardness AFL Footy demands. No disrespect but he is not hard enough. And in the
AFL These days if you dont have a required level of physicality you simply wont make it.
Time to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HirdsTheWord

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I still think he has the tools to be an AFL role-player. He's got a good pair of hands and is a pretty fair user of the ball (despite yesterday's efforts). He still doesn't seem to fully have adjusted to the speed of the game with his decision-making, and his intent sometimes seems off, but they are to an extent coachable; although it would also involve Langford really knuckling down and 'wanting it'.

For a variety of reasons I just can't see that happening with us as the waters appear pretty sullied. For his sake, I hope there's some interest in the trade period and for our sake I hope we can turn the 3rd round pick we'd probably get for him into a useful asset
every time he gets a chance he blows it i'm afraid.

the kid has played 50 games now - he missed 2 dead set shots in front of goal and makes numerous clangers each game.

just dont think hes up for it.

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
Think if he got a run at it he could be a good forward flanker with occasional run in the mid. Just not sure it will with us. Worth persevering imo

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
Kyle was really poor yesterday but I want to give him credit for trying to not just bomb it like everyone else.

We can’t complain that everyone just bombs the ball long then also whinge when someone tries not to, takes time for a good option to become available and looks slow because nothing is there.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Kyle was really poor yesterday but I want to give him credit for trying to not just bomb it like everyone else.

We can’t complain that everyone just bombs the ball long then also whinge when someone tries not to, takes time for a good option to become available and looks slow because nothing is there.
Yep

He's got a good head on his shoulders, and is usually a far better kick than we saw on the weekend.
Should persist. Give him a run at it as a HFF rotating through the middle or wings.
Kid has talent. Just needs to step up to the pace of AFL and start showcasing it in a position he's good at.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
Yep

He's got a good head on his shoulders, and is usually a far better kick than we saw on the weekend.
Should persist. Give him a run at it as a HFF rotating through the middle or wings.
Kid has talent. Just needs to step up to the pace of AFL and start showcasing it in a position he's good at.
Also think he originally took the tough love well and second half of last year showed that. Not sure it's the best way anymore with him, should give him a few games in a row without fear of losing his spot and see how he goes. Seemed to be playing scared of making a mistake yesterday.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Also think he originally took the tough love well and second half of last year showed that. Not sure it's the best way anymore with him, should give him a few games in a row without fear of losing his spot and see how he goes. Seemed to be playing scared of making a mistake yesterday.
Given why he was dropped (small brain fade in our worst game of the year), im not surprised.
We're nowhere if we drop him again. Esp to tread water with known quantities who arent going to get better.

Flag seems highly unlikely this year, but we have the list to build towards one in the immediate future. Gotta find out what the likes of Langford, Parish and Francis are gonna bring to the table rather than waiting for retirements before we try.

Bomberview

Draftee
Apr 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
So Langers kicks those goals (how he didn't ) and yes he didn't BUT had he

16D 8 marks 3 tackles in a very poor team side. I'm not as certain he is finished at all. That's a fair return and he always finds space in a cheap fwd line. Slow - in a congested fwd line at least he looks

RaySamuel

Debutant
Nov 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the criticism is harsh. Noted he's done some poor things this year but showed signs of what he could and can do through a purple patch in 2018. That should be reason enough to give him a few consecutive games and a decent chance to try and recapture that.

Wangawuti

Bounce Recall Expert
Jun 14, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Keep him at HFF. Clearly not a midfielder atm, but that might develop later in his career. Who knows.
But for now, let's get his confidence up at AFL level in his natural position.

Bomberview

Draftee
Apr 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Wow

Reading thru - Langers is done as far as his AFL career is concerned- well it would appear at Essendon. What he is contracted until 2020 ' will he in reality be at Essendon next year, and or where.

Top Bottom