AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton 🥈

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

04 - langford.jpg

Contract Status: Restricted Free Agent 2026
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 8, boncer34

Last edited by a moderator:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
I’ve only just seen this!

There is no evidence to suggest he can go from a 12 - 18 possession a game mid to a consistent 28 possession a game mid.

Me as much as anyone, want him to be a consistent AFL player. Not sure he will ever be a top 3 mid at the club.
He doesn’t need consistently high disposal numbers to have an impact. If he is getting around 20+ a week and kicking it more than half the time we are getting plenty out of him.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

There is no evidence to suggest he can go from a 12 - 18 possession a game mid to a consistent 28 possession a game mid.

Me as much as anyone, want him to be a consistent AFL player. Not sure he will ever be a top 3 mid at the club.

Sure there is, he averaged 18 this year from 75% game time. Get that up to the 85-88% game time to match most senior mids and don’t play him forward a third of the time you’ve got another handful of touches.

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon

Whenever he gets dropped to VFL he always pushes 30 odd touches. He’s got the natural ball winning thingo just needs confidence. His lack of urgency does concern me slightly though.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
He doesn’t need consistently high disposal numbers to have an impact. If he is getting around 20+ a week and kicking it more than half the time we are getting plenty out of him.
Sure there is, he averaged 18 this year from 75% game time. Get that up to the 85-88% game time to match most senior mids and don’t play him forward a third of the time you’ve got another handful of touches.
Whenever he gets dropped to VFL he always pushes 30 odd touches. He’s got the natural ball winning thingo just needs confidence. His lack of urgency does concern me slightly though.

I guess we value the impact Kyle has very differently. He can get it 20 times but won't have the same impact as a 20 possession game from Laverde imho.

He can get the ball as much as he wants at VFL level but it is at AFL level we are talking about. Many players can do this. Kyle is no different.

Will just like to say that I do like Kyle and am enjoying his development. Slight concern on his "urgency" as FlyingV mentioned, don;t think he will ever reach the level to be a top 3 midfielder at the club but a role player who can carve out a decent 100 - 150 game career is what he should aim to get to.

I guess we value the impact Kyle has very differently. He can get it 20 times but won't have the same impact as a 20 possession game from Laverde imho.

He can get the ball as much as he wants at VFL level but it is at AFL level we are talking about. Many players can do this. Kyle is no different.

Will just like to say that I do like Kyle and am enjoying his development. Slight concern on his "urgency" as FlyingV mentioned, don;t think he will ever reach the level to be a top 3 midfielder at the club but a role player who can carve out a decent 100 - 150 game career is what he should aim to get to.
If I was a leading forward, I’d much prefer to see Langford with the ball than Laverde.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Interesting impression of Langford.

I'd say that Langford has the highest impact for possession among all of our mids. That might be because he doesn't pad out his stats with the high possession rates that are inevitable when you're one of the top 3 or 4 mids.

The way Langford started opening up the ground and setting up scoring chains with kicks and handballs in the second half of the year was getting close to the "e" word.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

I'd say that Langford has the highest impact for possession among all of our mids. That might be because he doesn't pad out his stats with the high possession rates that are inevitable when you're one of the top 3 or 4 mids.

The way Langford started opening up the ground and setting up scoring chains with kicks and handballs in the second half of the year was getting close to the "e" word.

I’m probably having a brain fart and may go back and re watch some of his better games. Not sure he’ll end up a top end mid is what I’m saying

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Based on the numbers, he is our highest impact midfielder per possession. Laverde, by comparison, is among our least effective players per possession regardless of position.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
What data are you using for this sort of thing?

Utilising AFL Player Rating as a measure of positive impact. Deflated these by average disposals per game. The data can be filtered by season, wins vs losses, before and after the bye. I've been meaning to publish the summary in a thread on here.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Homemade excel spreadsheet. Duh.

Utilising AFL Player Rating as a measure of positive impact. Deflated these by average disposals per game. The data can be filtered by season, wins vs losses, before and after the bye. I've been meaning to publish the summary in a thread on here.

Correct guess FlyingV. :D

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I mean, watching the games help. Are people actually agreeing with Yoda's assessment of Laverde having more impact than Langford?

That is so unfair to Langford that it makes me s**t myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I mean, watching the games help. Are people actually agreeing with Yoda's assessment of Laverde having more impact than Langford?

Depends on whether Yoda considers Laverde miss kicking basic set shots over and over again an effective disposal.
If he does? Then I don’t agree.
And if he doesn’t? I still don’t agree with him but meh...

Ps Don’t s**t your pants.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Depends on whether Yoda considers Laverde miss kicking basic set shots over and over again an effective disposal.
If he does? Then I don’t agree.
And if he doesn’t? I still don’t agree with him but meh...

Ps Don’t s**t your pants.

2 late

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Nice troll. Or stool. I’m not sure.

But what I will say is I think I understand where yoda is coming from in that Laverde has a bit of De Goey/Caddy/Martin about him where he could have dramatic impact per disposal like the fellas listed above. He just hasn’t consistently shown it yet.

Could be wrong. Don’t shoot me.

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Nice troll. Or stool. I’m not sure.

But what I will say is I think I understand where yoda is coming from in that Laverde has a bit of De Goey/Caddy/Martin about him where he could have dramatic impact per disposal like the fellas listed above. He just hasn’t consistently shown it yet.

Could be wrong. Don’t shoot me.

That's why it's unfair. Laverde is soooooooooo far away from being compared to the 3 you just mentioned.

I’m going to ramp that one notch higher and suggest that Josh Green had more impact than Laverde over the last two years. I am not even joking.

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I’m going to ramp that one notch higher and suggest that Josh Green had more impact than Laverde over the last two years. I am not even joking.

I actually agree. There is as much potential for Laverde to achieve less than Green than there is of him becoming a De Goey.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers

He had kicked 4 goals in his last 16 games leading up the last round/game playing as a forward. That's not even remotely close to being AFL standard. s**t, even Boekhorst has been delisted for over a year and still had more impact than Laverde in the last two years.

Having said that, looking forward to see what he can do with a good run at it.

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
He had kicked 4 goals in his last 16 games leading up the last round/game playing as a forward. That's not even remotely close to being AFL standard. s**t, even Boekhorst has been delisted for over a year and still had more impact than Laverde in the last two years.

Yes but he kicked 3 goals in a quarter which means 12 goals in a game.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Langford is actually one of our better users of the ball. I've grown to feel pretty comfortable when he has the ball, over the course of this year, that good things are about to happen. Add to that his growing ability to stand in and break tackles... Sheeeeeit. Not sure we can (or even need to) compare the two.

There is no doubt the coaches see something in him as evidenced by Kelly’s comments where he described Laverde as the best player not currently playing seniors because of his size, strength and pace.

That said, he has done very little up to this point to justify his spot on the list and has been given another two years on what he might do rather than what he has shown he can do at senior level.

I’d love to see him put it all together as well but am by no means certain that he can on what I have observed, injuries or no injuries.

In comparison, I’d be surprised if Langford did not go on and play 200 games of AFl if he continues on the same improvement curve that we saw this year. He has plenty of ability and is a beautiful kick of the football which is another area that Laverde needs to put in some hard yards.

Back