Player Watch # 4: Kyle Langford - In against Fremantle - 16/5

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zach Package

Kyle Langfourd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, SFG, Heat, Raiders
It’s one of the great hiding to nothing games.

Low TOG percentage, we didn’t use him around the ball all really and he just shaded a couple of set shots he would normally nail.

Will go straight back out and the game will cede into nothingness. What is the point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mike14

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Good to see nobody is overreacting to a bad game.
Is it really an overreaction though? 50 games starts to be a pretty good sample size and we're still at the point where we have no real idea whther he can played consistently good games of footy. Yes he had a nice little patch at the end of last season, but every purple patch we get a series of games like the start of this year where you really question where he is as a footballer.
Granted, we seem to be pretty **** at developing young players and helping them reach that next step so it's not all on him, but this is his 5th year on s enior list and his intensity level/workrate still looks pretty poor most of the time and often his decision making just isn't at AFL standard. there's certainly talent their, but just how long are we meant to wait in the hope it is realised?

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, Atlanta Hawks
How much footy has he played in any form over the past month? Just seemed not up to the pace today and i don't want to be too critical. Needs to improve though.

Seb78

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah mate, just 45 of them. We have mis-managed his development very badly.
Very good post. We have tried so hard to turn this bloke into a jobe/bont type player but it so blatantly obvious that he's not up to it. He is by no means a write off as I still think he could make a solid high half foward type player but its plain to see that he is not a full time mid, never has been never will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGrizz

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Has played 3 games in 5 weeks, and been out of the seniors since round two.

Looked rusty as hell and had a bit of a 'deer in the headlights' vibe with ball in hand but i would suggest some of it would come down to rustyness.

Also, he is a forward Woosha, give up on the midfield thing and send him forward for Baguley. Mynott can have a crack at his midfield rotation.

Tassieboy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
I’ve been criticised many times over the past few years for saying Langford probably won’t make it. For whatever reason he’s always been a board favourite. Despite what people claim, I have always wanted to be wrong. But I’ve still seen nothing to suggest he will ever become a decent player. He still lives on Kyle time; has a knack for choosing the worst option; turns the ball over far too often; cannot play in the midfield; usually loses one-one-one contests; and just simply doesn’t look like he believes in himself or knows what he’s doing.

His last chance is to be played as a half forward, alway from the midfield. And see if he can provide something in a role similar to Mitch Brown. However, we also need to be fair to the man, he has been treated terribly by the selectors. He needs to be given the rest of the year so we can categorically say - one way or another - if he’s up to it.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Is it really an overreaction though? 50 games starts to be a pretty good sample size and we're still at the point where we have no real idea whther he can played consistently good games of footy. Yes he had a nice little patch at the end of last season, but every purple patch we get a series of games like the start of this year where you really question where he is as a footballer.
Granted, we seem to be pretty **** at developing young players and helping them reach that next step so it's not all on him, but this is his 5th year on s enior list and his intensity level/workrate still looks pretty poor most of the time and often his decision making just isn't at AFL standard. there's certainly talent their, but just how long are we meant to wait in the hope it is realised?
Basically sounds like Jake Melksham after 50 games. I'd be getting him to roll as a tagger this week

AFL Club
Essendon
Well what a suprise many on here nagging about bringing him in every time we lost a game last year.Now when he has only played 50 games in and out all the time you all want him out why .......because we lost the game. Funny about that.
I hope the coaches show him more support than what is the norm on here.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Parish took a couple of games to produce what he did today
Langford is gonna need a few games.
If he was at the level where he could step in for his first game in 5 weeks and perform, he wouldnt have been in the VFL those weeks

We were gonna struggle today. not a bad one to bring him back for to get his hands warm.
Stick with him and keep him forward.

CBombers17

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Begeley coming back may make it hard for Kyle. I've been a big supporter of his but he has to do better with any opportunities he gets no Matter where he's played.

MightyDons4

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
Parish took a couple of games to produce what he did today
Langford is gonna need a few games.
If he was at the level where he could step in for his first game in 5 weeks and perform, he wouldnt have been in the VFL those weeks

We were gonna struggle today. not a bad one to bring him back for to get his hands warm.
Stick with him and keep him forward.
Parish needed Myers to bugger off so he could play his preferred position. It's no coincidence that Parish also played very well in round 2, the other game Myers has missed this year. Langford freezes under body contact and won't make it as an inside mid. An Adelaide Tom Lynch role seems his best and only chance of making it at this stage.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Parish needed Myers to bugger off so he could play his preferred position. It's no coincidence that Parish also played very well in round 2, the other game Myers has missed this year. Langford freezes under body contact and won't make it as an inside mid. An Adelaide Tom Lynch role seems his best and only chance of making it at this stage.
HFF is his gig.
Enough trying to make players what they are not
Parish is a mid. Play him there
Langford is a forward. Play him there.

_Swoon

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
No matter which role he plays, he's not AFL standard if it takes him 3 seconds on the mark to make a decision and move the ball; sans slamming it on the boot and hoping for the best.

Shane Heard

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Blokes not an AFL midfielder and never has been. He’s not quick enough by hand or foot.

He’s a lead up forward.
Lead up forward?

Seriously 🙄

Let’s just admit the guy has no idea what he’s doing at league level.

To be a ‘ lead up forward’ in this comp is the hardest position of all to be good at.

He hasn’t got the aggression or speed of hand or foot to do anything that says he’ll make it in any position.

50 games and what has he got to show for it? A couple of good performances against weaker sides.

I know a spud when I see one and unfortunately for young Kyle he’s one big potato.

It’s a shame but that’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes in the big league.

Bunk Moreland

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Lead up forward?

Seriously 🙄

Let’s just admit the guy has no idea what he’s doing at league level.

To be a ‘ lead up forward’ in this comp is the hardest position of all to be good at.

He hasn’t got the aggression or speed of hand or foot to do anything that says he’ll make it in any position.

50 games and what has he got to show for it? A couple of good performances against weaker sides.

I know a spud when I see one and unfortunately for young Kyle he’s one big potato.

It’s a shame but that’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes in the big league.
The only time he’s ever really shown anything is as a lead up forward. His hands are alright in the lead and he’s a reasonable kick for goal (today aside).

I’d rather stick him there and see how it goes before putting a line through him. He’s clearly not a midfielder.

Top Bottom