Player Watch # 4: Kyle Langford - In against Fremantle - 16/5

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Confidence appears shot. It's a shame because he was playing very good football towards the back-end of last season.

IMO there have been a few young guys who have been mismanaged over the off-season and for whatever reason have regressed compared with last year. It'd probably do Langford the world of good if the coaches backed him in and gave his footy some continuity. Being the scapegoat for the team's terrible start to the season was hardly fair either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
In a game where we have no semblance of forward structure, where forwards weren't leading to space or hitting up the ball carrier, Langford got 2 shots on goal by working into good positions (at least that's how it looked on TV) and the players upfield honouring his work.

In the past he's been quite a reliable set shot, so I'd say his misses were more the exception than the norm.

I'm not beyond playing him as a forward where his time spent in the midfield over the past 2 years may compliment his natural game as a forward.

Where/how to get him in the side as a forward is the problem. He can't displace a small like Raz or Walla, you'd ideally have a midfielder rotating through the forward line, he's not moving Daniher or Stringer out. Does that means he gets a go in Baguley's spot (which won't happen) or he fights with Brown/Francis/McKernan etc for that last spot?

I can't see us playing him as a forward but I wouldn't be completely against it if it eventuated. There's too much there to throw him on the scrap heap, but nobody can find the keys to unlock it. If it can't be unlocked then his future is limited, I get that, but if we could play him in a position where he actually seems to "get it", it could be a way to turn his career around.

It would also mean the coaches swallowing their pride which generally doesn't happen either.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
In a game where we have no semblance of forward structure, where forwards weren't leading to space or hitting up the ball carrier, Langford got 2 shots on goal by working into good positions (at least that's how it looked on TV) and the players upfield honouring his work.

In the past he's been quite a reliable set shot, so I'd say his misses were more the exception than the norm.

I'm not beyond playing him as a forward where his time spent in the midfield over the past 2 years may compliment his natural game as a forward.

Where/how to get him in the side as a forward is the problem. He can't displace a small like Raz or Walla, you'd ideally have a midfielder rotating through the forward line, he's not moving Daniher or Stringer out. Does that means he gets a go in Baguley's spot (which won't happen) or he fights with Brown/Francis/McKernan etc for that last spot?

I can't see us playing him as a forward but I wouldn't be completely against it if it eventuated. There's too much there to throw him on the scrap heap, but nobody can find the keys to unlock it. If it can't be unlocked then his future is limited, I get that, but if we could play him in a position where he actually seems to "get it", it could be a way to turn his career around.

It would also mean the coaches swallowing their pride which generally doesn't happen either.
Frankly I believe we found the keys last year.....continuity. Seems we lost them in the off season though.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
AFL Club
Essendon
That's so incorrect. It is a 40% midfielder- same fwd and bench. He kicks 2 goals ( should have) id rather 16 and 2 goals as to 25. Kid always always finds space in fwd line

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings

Doss

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter Admin #6,157
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=4049&pid2=4049&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

Only number that's dropped significantly for mine in his tackles.

Has Langford regressed or are people finally starting to realise a 16/17 touch a game midfielder isn't actually that great of a return?
100% regressed. Last year he was doing actual damage with his possessions. The conversation last year was more that he needed to turn 16-17 touches into 24-25. He was one you wanted delivering inside 50.

Since then he’s not only failed to increase his possession average, but he’s turning it over.

That’s the definition of regressed really.

AFL Club
Essendon
He will at a club which plays and backs him in o suggest. Interesting situation as I'm thinking Langers will leave- What happens to Myers (uncontracted) and we don't have early picks. So arguably do we lose both or Myers gets another year. Setterfield was on our want list - but what has he done this year- Langers is 22 I'm sure his best is very much still to come!!

kelvin_sheedy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=4049&pid2=4049&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

Only number that's dropped significantly for mine in his tackles.

Has Langford regressed or are people finally starting to realise a 16/17 touch a game midfielder isn't actually that great of a return?
It is exactly this. I can recall about 2 or 3 ok'ish games but the rest were pretty much the same bog standard stuff.

He's exactly the same player. If he plays most games he will have a few ok ones and get people excited but thats what these type of players do. Only when it all falls for them they can look good.

He was meant to be quite athletic but is quite slow across the ground. Add that to poor and slow decision making and it pretty much curtains for him. It would take a minor miracle for him to be on the list another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
It is exactly this. I can recall about 2 or 3 ok'ish games but the rest were pretty much the same bog standard stuff.

He's exactly the same player. If he plays most games he will have a few ok ones and get people excited but thats what these type of players do. Only when it all falls for them they can look good.

He was meant to be quite athletic but is quite slow across the ground. Add that to poor and slow decision making and it pretty much curtains for him. It would take a minor miracle for him to be on the list another year.
He was good last year at 21 and we’re only 7 rounds in. Get real

AFL Club
Essendon

Mate suggest you go and have a close look at his IMPACT. It was consistent over a 12 week spread - noting he was cleaned up by Jones and played sore no doubt week after so he got some courage
Slow over the ground - no idea

Probably lucky he resigned with us giving the stuffing around. Probably out this week and bring in our most improved Davey- wow and we will probably loose and blame parish gueifi or Francis.

Doss

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter Admin #6,164

Go and watch most of his games in the second half of last year, and then compare it to the dross he was serving up on Sunday. It's chalk and cheese.

NAB777

All Australian
AFL Club
Essendon
Lead up forward?

Seriously 🙄

Let’s just admit the guy has no idea what he’s doing at league level.

To be a ‘ lead up forward’ in this comp is the hardest position of all to be good at.

He hasn’t got the aggression or speed of hand or foot to do anything that says he’ll make it in any position.

50 games and what has he got to show for it? A couple of good performances against weaker sides.

I know a spud when I see one and unfortunately for young Kyle he’s one big potato.

It’s a shame but that’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes in the big league.
I don't often disagree with you, but I do on this.
I think he could end up being a good player. Unfortunately, it could be at a Hawthorn, or somewhere else.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, Atlanta Hawks
To come straight in against the best team in the comp is pretty tough. Certainly was better than Tippa, Zacka, Baguely & Guelfi.

Needs a few games in a row.
Yep. If he's performing at the same level after a month then I could cop the criticism in here.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
You can just tell he's low on confidence right now. A confident Langford is better at delivering the ball inside 50 and kicking set shots. If he'd done that he would have had a pretty decent game. I don't know whether he's better off playing VFL to get that confidence back or not but I do think we do need him to find some form as the year goes on.

NAB777

All Australian
AFL Club
Essendon
Only 22, long way to go. Simon Madden got dropped a number of years into his career, when on to become one of the greatest rucks OAT. Let that be warning to all of you...all of you
People also forget what Jobe was like until he was 21-22. Some guys take a lot longer than others. Regardless of what other people think, I reckon he has a good football brain..and is generally good with ball in hand. Confidence is a MAJOR influence on how this guy plays.

Sometimes indecisiveness is a symptom of a bigger team issue - i.e. lack of team movement etc. I saw the great Billy Duckworth get caught the same way a few times... and he won a Norm Smith FFS.

AFL Club
Essendon
I am not angry perhaps sad in a way. Langers takes 25% of marks inside 50 - should have kicked those goals.Creates space and out. Question would he get a game in the AFL at another club

Saints HFF - MID
Dogs as above
GC AS ABOVE
NTH AS ABOVE
CARL AS ABOVE
FRE AS ABOVE
Syd

Probably some others. I'm sad as i think he has to leave and he will still be 22 and then we have Myers. We do not have that much young 6ft 3 talent and he has been stuffed around since 2017.

Our club will most likely struggle around 8 which is crap

Top Bottom