Player Watch # 4: Kyle Langford - In against Fremantle - 16/5

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whispering_Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Crystal Palace FC, Tomato Atheism
Like he was pretty bad. I'm not saying he won't play for us ever again but he didn't deserve to keep his spot.
This. I've liked him over the journey and have felt at times he's been hard done by but he was putrid on Sunday.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
If someone had've told me 2 months ago that at some point this year Brayden Ham would be getting a run ahead of Langford I would've called for the straight jacket. The dropoff in performance has been perplexing, he's gone from future star to almost delist material in the span of 8 months

AFL Club
Essendon
If someone had've told me 2 months ago that at some point this year Brayden Ham would be getting a run ahead of Langford I would've called for the straight jacket. The dropoff in performance has been perplexing, he's gone from future star to almost delist material in the span of 8 months
Should have left him as a leading half forward instead of trying to force him in to the midfield before he was ready.

May be a passable mid at VFL level due to size / extra time - see David Myers - but doesn’t have the natural aggression or disposal by hand in close that makes for a damaging midfielder someone his size should be.

He is however quite a nice mark / lead at the ball, generally kicks straight, and makes good choices kicking i50. I’d leave him in as a half forward and if he can play stints on-ball over time then so be it.

Too often we seem to take someone who’s good in a position, try to pigeon hole them elsewhere as something else, then wonder why they stagnate or lose confidence.

Parish and Langford could be fairly well entrenched in our 22 if they played their more natural positions imo.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
Let’s play “Guess Longfark’s statistics”, yay!
V Freo
17 possessions (11 kicks 6 handballs)
6 marks
1 goal 3 points
5 tackles
Reported for striking
15 kicks
7 handballs
6 tackles
6 marks
2 goals
4 I50s
6 score involvements

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
What ever happens with Kyle this game I just hope they give him a run of games no matter what.

I firmly believe after all the tough love he needs to feel backed in to get the best out of him and return to at least the levels of late last year and hopefully beyond.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I just really hope he comes in and plays a blinder.

Seriously likeable kid, has all the talent in the world, just struggles with making a quick decision.
I think he is like this as he always tries to make a perfect damaging decision every time even when there is none immediately available. I think he needs to know that the best decision he can make quickly is the perfect decision and should pull the trigger.

EDIT - He seems like a perfectionist and you can see him go very hard on himself when any mistake is made and he goes into his shell. He needs to be supported and encouraged to make mistakes knowing it's ok and he won't be dropped if we ever hope to see the best out of him IMO.

vast

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Eh. One poster who is very vocal about his **** opinions made a recurring scene. Otherwise, plenty, myself included, were excited about Langford's potential as a midfielder, but that doesn't preclude his having strengths forward.
I dont know which poster u are referring too. There was a boardwide feeling that even as a forward despite having some ok games he lacked intensity and he needed to he tried in the midfield and he went back to the vfl to work on and most were happy with that as u said.

Top Bottom