AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton 🥈

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Had 25 disposals and kicked 1,1, should be played as a a half forward and a least keep his spot for a couple weeks to build some confidence

On today's game he could easily match what Myers is giving us through the middle and would be a much better option forward.

I
On today's game he could easily match what Myers is giving us through the middle and would be a much better option forward.
it honestly puzzles me how myers can keep getting games ahead of langford who i think If given some continued run will end up a much better player than myers has shown for the past 10 or so years

Hopefully comes on as a classy half forward type for us going foward with stints in the middle. I think thats his go. Definately not a full time mid though.

Would appear to be the most logical choice.

So absolutely not.

Be nice to see some agility in selection with Kyle. From his first game or 2 it was clear he could find space forward, take a mark and kick straight.

At this point 'd be happy for him to become a dangerous lead up forward flanker who can do bursts in the middle when required (that would give us 2 of those).

He shows signs as a mid but it may be too far from his natural game style for him to pick it up at the highest level. Time will tell on that but he has shown enough to be a decent AFL level forward IMO.

Hopefully comes on as a classy half forward type for us going foward with stints in the middle. I think thats his go. Definately not a full time mid though.
would take something like Fanta's output
Spend 60-70% of his time forward (perhaps a Brown replacement?), but have the ability to go into the middle for rotations.

Kid can play. Writing him off cos he may not be able to switch from HFF to inside mid is stupid.
Esp since our HFF stocks aren't exactly bursting at the seams with elite talent.

We couldn't possibly now play him forward and let him build his game from there could we?

What a waste of time that would make the last 2 years.

If he is going to play midfield, then he definitely needs to stay in the twos until he consistently displays the intensity and aggression required of the position.

I could definitely have lived with him playing forward as he does and building the required intensity from there.

My feeling in that there has been no wasted 2 years. He has a string to his bow which will be realized by another club . That's not Kyles fault - this club continues to look including half on these forums at what he can't do rather than what he can do. Even yesterday he created and was in the top players on the ground. Makes good position always and gets ignored

I’ve talked way to much s*#t at work about Laverde, Langford, Parish and Francis being the best 4 players ever picked up by any club ever, for them all to be busts. Fml.
Our drafting looked alright for a bit there
2013 - Zerrett and Raz
2014 - Langford & Lav
2015 - Parish, Francis, Redman, Tippa
2016 - McGrath & Ridley

Fully expect Langford in for Brown this week. Joey and Stringer to play 1 & 2 forwards.
Raz back gives us a good forward target too.
Langford into the HFF/Wing role looks to be his go now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Essendon section from an AFL.com.au article about “your clubs missing men”. Compared to the other players listed for the other clubs he has a fairly washy explanation for being left out (the others have changed roles and are learning a new one or got squeezed out of the side due to incoming players).

Apparently might not have the tenacity and proactiveness to play midfield but will struggle to break into our forward line we’re he to play there. Also the first guy dropped after a bad team performance, as we’ve noticed.

“Callum Twomey” said:
Essendon
It's been an interesting ride for Kyle Langford in his time at the Bombers. Their first pick at the 2014 NAB AFL Draft (No.17 overall) has played 49 games in his now four-and-a-bit seasons at the club, with last year his most exciting with 16 games at senior level. He broke into the midfield and performed strongly at stages, averaging 18 disposals and also pushing forward on occasion. He was unlucky not to be awarded the club's most improved player award as well, but has found himself on the outer this season after just two senior appearances.

How does he get back in?
Langford has been the player to get omitted a handful of times over the past two years following a bad Essendon defeat, and it was the case again in round three when he was dropped following the Bombers' loss to St Kilda. This despite kicking two goals from 18 disposals in round one. Langford gets plenty of touches at VFL level, but the jury is still out whether he has the tenacity and proactiveness to be a midfielder in the senior side or whether he is best suited to a half-forward role (which makes it hard for him to find a spot given Essendon's strength in that part of the ground). – Callum Twomey
https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-01/why-cant-he-get-a-game

Our drafting looked alright for a bit there
2013 - Zerrett and Raz
2014 - Langford & Lav
2015 - Parish, Francis, Redman, Tippa
2016 - McGrath & Ridley

Fully expect Langford in for Brown this week. Joey and Stringer to play 1 & 2 forwards.
Raz back gives us a good forward target too.
Langford into the HFF/Wing role looks to be his go now.

Francis is for Brown is the word

Francis is for Brown is the word

Will be interesting if it happens.

Pours more fuel on the selection integrity fire as far as I'm concerned.

Here I was thinking that you had to complete 3 preseasons training in position before you could take the field without being a liability to the structure.

We'll trade him and the club will then play him as a HHF and watch him come out and play good football.

Wasted 2-3 years trying to turn him into Jobe when it was never going to be.

Back